DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this normal? Lost rear propeller blade w/ 1.5 mi safe return flight

So, my question. Is it normal to eject a blade like this and return the a/c without a hitch? What would I look for in the DAT flight log to indicate where/when this happened and under what conditions? Thx...and *phew!*

I have some questions. Regarding this incident, in the post analysis of this flight I think there are some things that would be helpful to know.

How was magical Mavic 2 stored? Was/is it stored in a hard sided case? Blades on or off? Was/Is it stored in the Fly More bag? Blades on or off? How is the Mavic transported do you use blade retention clips to keep the blades from flopping around in case/bag? I'm curious as to these circumstances as possibly there is pressure placed on the blades. I do know this, when the Mavic 2 is folded the blades touch the landing feet. The blades also do rub the bottom of the Mavic 2 when it is folded. I saw that the blades actually catch on the feet when the Mavic 2 is folded. I was concerned when I saw that and think it might be best to secure the blades or just remove them entirely when the Mavic 2 is in the Fly More bag.

Appreciate your response.

After capturing some close-in VLOS wildlife shots, I had some battery left over so I decided to take the bird up to 300’ and cruise over a lake about a mile away. At some point during this segment of flight, I lost half a propellor (single blade) from the rear left of my Mav2 Pro. No warnings were given off to indicate the failure - not from the Go4 app, flight characteristics or controls, nor from the video. It was not until the bird was approaching the return home point when I noticed a strange sound in the air. I thought to myself “surely, that’s not my drone because everything appears to be normal.” As I brought her closer down, I determined that yes, indeed, it was the drone and couldn’t figure out what possibly could have happened during flight to cause such a racket. It was only during the descent & power down phase that I noticed that the aircraft was bucking wildly. It was only when the rotors stopped spinning that I noticed that 1/2 of the rear propellor was gone. It detached not at the pin, but about 50mm further down the blade. It appears to have been a manufacturer defect or a stress fracture. See photos. This was one of the original blades that came with the PGY Tech Mega Accessory Bundle that was delivered along with my Mav2 Pro from eBay in December. I searched within the forum and didn’t see where anybody else had a similar experience. So, my question. Is it normal to eject a blade like this and return the a/c without a hitch? What would I look for in the DAT flight log to indicate where/when this happened and under what conditions? Thx...and *phew!*
Use original props only..

Reactions: Former Member
Am I the only one that is amazed that you can maintain VLOS on a Mavic a mile away? ;)
And yes, very lucky indeed! Let me know what lottery numbers you decide to play.

Reactions: Former Member
While I rarely have the drone anywhere near a mile away, I have had it out nearly that far and while I can't see the aircraft, I can clearly see the strobes which as far as the Feds are concerned, that is still VLOS.

While I rarely have the drone anywhere near a mile away, I have had it out nearly that far and while I can't see the aircraft, I can clearly see the strobes which as far as the Feds are concerned, that is still VLOS.
Ah. That's a good point. I should invest. Let me know what you are using and if you are happy with them.

rmb: I am using FireHouse Technology strobes with 4 LED's on each, (and the extra LED's do make it easier to see the aircraft at distance over just one.) But THE man you want to contact is our own Mike Singer over at MavicHelp. He has everything you need for a great strobe setup and he will go out of his way to help you. HIGHLY-RECOMMENDED!!

As for being happy, you bet. How many of us have pushed it too far and wished we had bright, blinking white strobes on her? I'm very happy.

And a
After capturing some close-in VLOS wildlife shots, I had some battery left over so I decided to take the bird up to 300’ and cruise over a lake about a mile away. At some point during this segment of flight, I lost half a propellor (single blade) from the rear left of my Mav2 Pro. No warnings were given off to indicate the failure - not from the Go4 app, flight characteristics or controls, nor from the video. It was not until the bird was approaching the return home point when I noticed a strange sound in the air. I thought to myself “surely, that’s not my drone because everything appears to be normal.” As I brought her closer down, I determined that yes, indeed, it was the drone and couldn’t figure out what possibly could have happened during flight to cause such a racket. It was only during the descent & power down phase that I noticed that the aircraft was bucking wildly. It was only when the rotors stopped spinning that I noticed that 1/2 of the rear propellor was gone. It detached not at the pin, but about 50mm further down the blade. It appears to have been a manufacturer defect or a stress fracture. See photos. This was one of the original blades that came with the PGY Tech Mega Accessory Bundle that was delivered along with my Mav2 Pro from eBay in December. I searched within the forum and didn’t see where anybody else had a similar experience. So, my question. Is it normal to eject a blade like this and return the a/c without a hitch? What would I look for in the DAT flight log to indicate where/when this happened and under what conditions? Thx...and *phew!*
And after people wonder about why I always recommend to remove the props after each flight to inspect them, and to never store your drone with the props on. :p
But indeed, nice save right there ! I am amazed that the Mavic made it back to you in such condition. ?

Just a thought, as unlikely as it is. I fly around a good size lake in Claiborne parish, Louisiana. One of our neighbors has a couple of purple martin houses, and they are well populated. I've noticed that anytime I get within a couple hundred yards of their home the martins come after the drone. Looks cool on the video, seeing the dark birds zip across the screen, but it's a bit scary too. Think that if one of them got a little too close, it could result in something like you had here. When you mentioned flying to a lake, it made me think of that. Congrats on bringing home the aircraft!

Lucky indeed!

I discovered a very small (almost invisible) crack in one of my props the other day. I actually felt the crack with my hand by pure accident. I had to zoom in with a magnifying glass to actually see it. Of course, it was off and in the trash immediately.

Anytime you accidentally hit anything no matter how innocuous of a tap, perform a super close inspection of your props. You may have a stress crack that will eventually lead to a disaster if not caught.

A long flight with severely imbalanced propeller may cause damage or wear on the motor bearings or entire arm. I would check them very carefully or have them checked by professional. It certainly is worth to replace the entire affected motor. It provided excellent service for you that it is not designed for. Surely you dont't want to lose the quad because of this.

I think that the expert advice we've had here from @Don the engineer - [post #44] indicates that this wasn't a rotational impact issue. There is a post in progress that's about the merits of taking prop's off your Mavic when it's not flying and when it's packed for travel. It might be worth while getting a good description of how the Mavic involved in the prop-split incident was packed for travel please @Johnnypep ...

Last edited:
What would I look for in the DAT flight log to indicate where/when this happened and under what conditions? Thx...and *phew!*
I'd look for jumps in the motor speeds. But why not post the DAT here so @sar104 & usual suspects can create an excellent write-up?
This is truly terrifying magic!

Reactions: Don the engineer
I think I got it!

I would think it takes a second or two for the electronics to compensate.
In flight these was room to do so, but at takeoff the higher thrust requirements and very limited space just didn't allow for it.

I have had my M2P collide with a power line (it was during a video interference issue flying with a friend and his P4 on that particular day so I wasn't entirely focused on the drone's position).
The collision damaged 3 props and left marks on the body, but amazingly it actually recovered itself and never hit the ground! I'm pretty sure there was half a blade missing on one prop too.

5 minutes and 4 new props later it was back in the air without a hitch. These are some pretty tough little birds :)

It was badly out of balance but...there have been many one bladed propellers on planes, drones, power gliders..etc

Truly amazing it made it back.
Check out 6:15 in the vid. There are some very damaged props. Algorithms can be written to cope with such adversity.

Reactions: spicciani2
an adaptive notch filter for gyro and accel signals it is, but, with a partially broken prop usually it shakes so bad that no filter helps much. it is indeed quite a luck that it made it back.

Looks like eBay seller gave you non DJI props if not you are a lucky sob either way. DJI must have a better algorithm to have been able to come home that crippled awesome really!!

I once saw a YT video of some jokers flying a phantom at night with seriously and intentionally damaged props, like cut in half. It actually flew.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard