DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ISO help - disabled veteran, limited income

Here in Southern California there is an organization that helps train vets to fly and profit from UAS. I myself am a paraplegic (congenital, not a vet) and can appreciate the sort of freedom that flying drones can offer.

I met the founder of Wounded Eagle UAS several years ago when I was building drones and in a drone club (DJI only made flight controllers back then, the Phantom was just a glimmer in someone's eye) and he seemed like a decent guy, but I haven't had contact in many years.

At any rate I thought that it might be useful to post a link to their website and may be worth contacting if the OP or anyone else drawn to this thread is interested in finding out more.

Again, I only know of this organization from years ago, but it looks like they have grown (they have representation in other parts of the country it seems) and hopefully someone might find this useful.

WEUAS | Wounded Eagle Unmanned Autonomous Systems

Thanks for your service. Honestly.

Best,

Steve

Hit by an IED in Fallujah, result was TBI and total hearing loss in my left ear, tissue and muscle loss in my left leg, PTSD, and nightmares for the past 13 years or so. I couldn’t pass the PFT, so they started processing me out right before I picked up SSgt. Any other queries? Retirement doesn’t necessarily mean you did 20+. I was medically retired (see forced out) and subsequently only logged 9yrs, 4 months, 22 days in the Corps. How
I'm a permanently and totally disabled mustang with 14 years.

PM me if you want to chat.

I'm not calling anyone out, but has anyone actually verified this guy is legit before they start sending him free drones and stuff?

I'm not calling anyone out, but has anyone actually verified this guy is legit before they start sending him free drones and stuff?

I always hate to think like this however your point is valid. While I myself did not serve (girls and booze ruined AFROTC thus killing my dreams of flying jets) however I come from a lineage of military. The industry I work in is veteran-heavy and the scams do indeed happen, both from outside and within.

Sir, what would you like to know? Unit? Exact years of service? Type and date of discharge? Training received? Mother's maiden name? The fact is, I started this post asking for a mount as I had already glued and temporarily repaired the broken arm on my aircraft. I didn't ask ANYONE to send me more drones, pay for my repair, or donate time to me for free. I asked for a 3D printed part so I could fix the drone myself, and in return I would send the person an accessory for their aircraft when my VA benefits were deposited at the end of the month. The truth is I would have more than likely sent them a DJI, Yuneec, Autel, or Walkera Gift Certificate in an amount large enough to pay for a used or refurbished Phantom 3. I believe in paying it forward, sir, and I would not lie about my service record in order to get anything for free. I spend most of my days away from people because I still haven't figured out how to get back to the Shane I was before deploying to a warzone, shooting at human beings with the intent to end their lives before they ended mine. I will never disclose how many I THINK I killed, because the few I know are never taking a breath again haunt me every moment of every day. Having served as a Mustang for 14 years, I assume you would have been involved in some type of skirmish with an enemy you were tasked with removing from this earth. Do you openly discuss your kills in a drone forum? Do you tell members your service record up front before making a post asking for help from like minded people? I would hope it wouldn't be that common for someone to lie to get things for free, but this world isn't what it used to or should be. I am an avid supporter of Stolen Valor, a site dedicated to putting individuals who lie about service, awards, actions involved in and general asshattery in the public eye and shamed. Why would I risk posting my service on a forum where veterans (I'm not the only one who flies a drone to escape the thoughts of suicide and not wanting to be around people) are a common thing? Anyone can google anything these days and a DD214 is an easy document to get your hands on to check someone's story. What you have accomplished, Sir, is making me regret joining this forum, and especially asking for help when I was in need. You have proven to me that even being around people on an internet site still carries with it the chance of conflict. I fought in a war. I do everything in my power to avoid wars of any kind now. I'm not mentally equipped for it anymore.

Since you mentioned it before, I think telling you this will show you my honesty. Yes, I served in OIF and got injured in the process. When I was in convalescence, I began drinking heavily and taking more of my pain meds than prescribed, and ended up with a Summary Court Martial after striking an O1 fresh from OCS during a night out at a bar in Jacksonville. I was charged with Articles 128, 90, 91, and of course 15. In return for my full guilty plea, I was sentenced to 9 months incarceration in a low security disciplinary barracks (Parris Island is where I ended up after the 6 weeks at the US Military Disciplinary Barracks, Ft. Leavenworth KS), suspension of 3/4 pay for 6 months,and I even got a chicken dinner. A big one. I was reduced to E1 in the same month I would have picked up Staff Sergeant. I begged to stay in the Corps. My life up to the point I joined the Marines was unfulfilled, empty, and not worth living. I had an alcoholic mother, father, stepfather, and sister; a drug selling and addicted brother, and now no future because I thought my discharge would prevent any benefits for my injuries. Thankfully, the JAG Col. who presided as Judge did include a special addendum allowing me upgrade of discharge after 2 years appellate leave and drug and alcohol treatment of at least 180 days. I left Parris Island brig and went straight to the Center of Hope in Anniston Alabama, where I stayed for 12 months to get rehabilitation for my addictions. I have now been clean for nearly 10 years. Not even a sip or anything stronger than 800mg Motrin. I could get any narcotic pain med I wanted for the injuries I have, but I already ruined my life once. I don't need more failure in my life. If you have any more doubts, feel free to write them down, put them in an envelope, and mail them to me. As soon as I hear back from Rob at Thunderdrones, I will be sending him a payment via paypal for the repair of my mavic, and he can tell the donor to keep his or her money for a deserving veteran like yourself. If you like, I'll ship every drone I have to you so you can ease your mind about my wanting free ****. Honestly, Sir, I wish we could speak face to face so I could see what a completely disabled veteran looks like. Must be terrible. I only lost a little muscle mass in my left leg, total hearing loss in my left ear, partial in my right ear, a constant blue smudge in my line of sightin my left eye, constant stress around the 4th of July and New Year's Eve, and I have a problem with keeping from wetting myself when a nightmare wakes me up. I haven't been able to keep a girlfriend since 2004 due to night terrors. I have attempted suicide twice, but stopped before pulling the trigger because I am terrified of gunfire. I despise your comments questioning my honesty, so I hope that my spilling my guts shows I don't hide anything. Feel free to ask any questions you have about anything in my PM from now on. "I don't want to call anyone out", but you did. I answered a bit late, but for some reason, my notifications didn't tell me you posted or I would have answered immediately.

Semper Fi Si

Here in Southern California there is an organization that helps train vets to fly and profit from UAS. I myself am a paraplegic (congenital, not a vet) and can appreciate the sort of freedom that flying drones can offer.

I met the founder of Wounded Eagle UAS several years ago when I was building drones and in a drone club (DJI only made flight controllers back then, the Phantom was just a glimmer in someone's eye) and he seemed like a decent guy, but I haven't had contact in many years.

At any rate I thought that it might be useful to post a link to their website and may be worth contacting if the OP or anyone else drawn to this thread is interested in finding out more.

Again, I only know of this organization from years ago, but it looks like they have grown (they have representation in other parts of the country it seems) and hopefully someone might find this useful.

WEUAS | Wounded Eagle Unmanned Autonomous Systems

Thanks for your service. Honestly.

Best,

Steve
Steve, thank you for posting the link to WEUAS. I will be contacting them regarding their representation in my area, IF they have any. If they don't and they would like to, I would love to help them out and get something started here. Thank you for your gratitude, but like I always tell anyone thanking me for my service, find a Vietnam vet, shake his or her hand and tell them thank you and Welcome Home. They didn't get that when
they came home like me and my generation of vets did. They deserved more than this country gave them. I'll post what I find out from WEAUS later today.

Semper Fi
Shane

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Sir, what would you like to know? Unit? Exact years of service? Type and date of discharge? Training received? Mother's maiden name? The fact is, I started this post asking for a mount as I had already glued and temporarily repaired the broken arm on my aircraft. I didn't ask ANYONE to send me more drones, pay for my repair, or donate time to me for free. I asked for a 3D printed part so I could fix the drone myself, and in return I would send the person an accessory for their aircraft when my VA benefits were deposited at the end of the month. The truth is I would have more than likely sent them a DJI, Yuneec, Autel, or Walkera Gift Certificate in an amount large enough to pay for a used or refurbished Phantom 3. I believe in paying it forward, sir, and I would not lie about my service record in order to get anything for free. I spend most of my days away from people because I still haven't figured out how to get back to the Shane I was before deploying to a warzone, shooting at human beings with the intent to end their lives before they ended mine. I will never disclose how many I THINK I killed, because the few I know are never taking a breath again haunt me every moment of every day. Having served as a Mustang for 14 years, I assume you would have been involved in some type of skirmish with an enemy you were tasked with removing from this earth. Do you openly discuss your kills in a drone forum? Do you tell members your service record up front before making a post asking for help from like minded people? I would hope it wouldn't be that common for someone to lie to get things for free, but this world isn't what it used to or should be. I am an avid supporter of Stolen Valor, a site dedicated to putting individuals who lie about service, awards, actions involved in and general asshattery in the public eye and shamed. Why would I risk posting my service on a forum where veterans (I'm not the only one who flies a drone to escape the thoughts of suicide and not wanting to be around people) are a common thing? Anyone can google anything these days and a DD214 is an easy document to get your hands on to check someone's story. What you have accomplished, Sir, is making me regret joining this forum, and especially asking for help when I was in need. You have proven to me that even being around people on an internet site still carries with it the chance of conflict. I fought in a war. I do everything in my power to avoid wars of any kind now. I'm not mentally equipped for it anymore.

Since you mentioned it before, I think telling you this will show you my honesty. Yes, I served in OIF and got injured in the process. When I was in convalescence, I began drinking heavily and taking more of my pain meds than prescribed, and ended up with a Summary Court Martial after striking an O1 fresh from OCS during a night out at a bar in Jacksonville. I was charged with Articles 128, 90, 91, and of course 15. In return for my full guilty plea, I was sentenced to 9 months incarceration in a low security disciplinary barracks (Parris Island is where I ended up after the 6 weeks at the US Military Disciplinary Barracks, Ft. Leavenworth KS), suspension of 3/4 pay for 6 months,and I even got a chicken dinner. A big one. I was reduced to E1 in the same month I would have picked up Staff Sergeant. I begged to stay in the Corps. My life up to the point I joined the Marines was unfulfilled, empty, and not worth living. I had an alcoholic mother, father, stepfather, and sister; a drug selling and addicted brother, and now no future because I thought my discharge would prevent any benefits for my injuries. Thankfully, the JAG Col. who presided as Judge did include a special addendum allowing me upgrade of discharge after 2 years appellate leave and drug and alcohol treatment of at least 180 days. I left Parris Island brig and went straight to the Center of Hope in Anniston Alabama, where I stayed for 12 months to get rehabilitation for my addictions. I have now been clean for nearly 10 years. Not even a sip or anything stronger than 800mg Motrin. I could get any narcotic pain med I wanted for the injuries I have, but I already ruined my life once. I don't need more failure in my life. If you have any more doubts, feel free to write them down, put them in an envelope, and mail them to me. As soon as I hear back from Rob at Thunderdrones, I will be sending him a payment via paypal for the repair of my mavic, and he can tell the donor to keep his or her money for a deserving veteran like yourself. If you like, I'll ship every drone I have to you so you can ease your mind about my wanting free ****. Honestly, Sir, I wish we could speak face to face so I could see what a completely disabled veteran looks like. Must be terrible. I only lost a little muscle mass in my left leg, total hearing loss in my left ear, partial in my right ear, a constant blue smudge in my line of sightin my left eye, constant stress around the 4th of July and New Year's Eve, and I have a problem with keeping from wetting myself when a nightmare wakes me up. I haven't been able to keep a girlfriend since 2004 due to night terrors. I have attempted suicide twice, but stopped before pulling the trigger because I am terrified of gunfire. I despise your comments questioning my honesty, so I hope that my spilling my guts shows I don't hide anything. Feel free to ask any questions you have about anything in my PM from now on. "I don't want to call anyone out", but you did. I answered a bit late, but for some reason, my notifications didn't tell me you posted or I would have answered immediately.

Semper Fi Si
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I don't always see where people reply to post or comments in this group either, but my "Alerts" tab just stared working and that helps.

If you would like, I sent you a private message with my phone number and you can ring me if or whenever you would like.

I live in the Tampa, FL area and would like to meet up to fly eventually with people, so if you're ever in the area just let me know.

Get them birds up in the air, thats the therapy you need now, this hobby has helped many people overcome many problems in life, Mine included.. These ''flying camera's'' gives your mind and body the freedom like nothing else can.
I hope you have been getting in some flying on those 2 new birds. I was out yetseday near a very very high class $$ Yaht club, got some great vids..

Yet you did! and then have the nerve to ask him to meet up with you! how do we know YOU are who/what you are ?
Thanks for being offended for him, but you can relax snowflake.

We have actually had a long and very nice phone conversation about things that are none of your business.

...melt away...

View attachment 44916View attachment 44917 I am at a very low point in life and recently received a Mavic Pro as a gift to lift my spirits... I fell in love with the rush of being able to fly a mile or two out an
d 300 feet in the air to see parts of my hometown of Mobile, Alabama, and I’ve even received a load of compliments on the few pictures and videos I uploaded to my social media accounts recently. A few days ago, I went out to my dad’s house and he wanted some aerial footage of his property to see if a particular neighbor was still dumping trash over his French in an area difficult to reach by foot and accessible only by air, really. As I was making my way upward and out, I had an obstacle error sound, then a propeller popped off and caused my MP to fall out of the sky from about 22ft up. The result was a broken front right arm and broken gimbal anti vibration mount, and one rubber band holder thingy being torn off. I was able to repair the arm with carbon fiber wrap and a copious amount of gorilla glue, but no matter how good I am with aluminum welding and grinding a very small object, I was not able to repair the mount. My problem now is I am on a fixed budget and just spent all of my VA benefits on bills for 3 months so I could afford a Mavic Pro 2 come next month. I asked a few friends and family members to help out, but like me, they’re struggling with cashflow as well. If anyone has a 3D printer and the schematics for the mount, I would so very much appreciate it if you would print a mount for me and send it to me. When my check comes the first of October, I will gladly send you not only a builders fee, but I will include an accessory for your bird as a thank you. PTSD affects a large number of veterans, and I have plans to buy a small fleet of drones and offer a kind of PTSD stress relief drone academy. Not having the ability to fly my Mavic for the past week has been a huge let down and I just can’t imagine having to wait an entire month to fly again. Thank you for reading, and thanks in advance to anyone who would help.

Semper Fi,
Sgt. S Duke, USMC (Ret.)
Contact DJI they actually might sponsor you if you tell them your story.

Semper Fi Si

Your always welcome here. There is more good here than not.

Reactions: MavicNgoose333
I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and support. I think this is quite possibly the best of the best when it comes to pilots and people in General. I will hopefully have big news next week sometime, and I’ll be sure to post in this thread when and if I hear. Semper Fi bless.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest