DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's my turn, disconnect and lost :Edit Mark another up for pilot stupidity

Your probably right, chalk another up for pilot stupidity:rolleyes:. Part of the problem is I just increased my descent speed by quite a bit (mostly for when I'm coming back from my long range runs) and I'm not quite used to it yet. Hope I find it as it does have some really cool video on it;). I have narrowed the search area down by quite a bit, I was searching only in the area directly around the Find My Drone coordinates and now, after looking at the KML, I think it made it farther up the hill before running into the trees. We'll see, hopefully tomorrow...

I don't think your RTH height (85 m) was the problem, since the terrain decreased continuously in elevation between the last recorded point and the homepoint. I'm afraid that it appears to me that you simply flew it into the ground. The last point recorded altitude was 2614 m MSL, while the ground was at 2593 m MSL, only 21 m below (not counting vegetation). Your descent rate was 10 m/s at 40 mph, which is really excessive. My guess is that the disconnect was simply caused by a very high speed collision with the ground or a tree at or near the last recorded point.

2018-05-07_[10-44-51]_01.png

screenshot138.jpg

Reactions: MavicCF
he must of had bad lag hence why he didn't see the ground or trees etc :( do you see anything (data) about lag?

he must of had bad lag hence why he didn't see the ground or trees etc :( do you see anything (data) about lag?

At 40 mph and 10 m/s descent rate it doesn't take much lag. The lag is typically a couple of tenths of a second. But to answer your question - no - there is no way to determine lag from the log file.

The gimbal was pitched down 25° at the end, giving a reasonable view down and forwards. The aircraft descent angle was 30°, and the ground was sloping 5° down on the aircraft course. FPV can be deceptive but I would have thought that the problem should have been apparent.

At 40 mph and 10 m/s descent rate it doesn't take much lag. The lag is typically a couple of tenths of a second. But to answer your question - no - there is no way to determine lag from the log file.

The gimbal was pitched down 25° at the end, giving a reasonable view down and forwards. The aircraft descent angle was 30°, and the ground was sloping 5° down on the aircraft course. FPV can be deceptive but I would have thought that the problem should have been apparent.

yes that's why I am thinking he had worst lag then couple of tenth of a sec

I know at time my tablet can lag for a sec or two :( BUT the dji goggle don't thank god!!! or I would of crashed a few times!

yes that's why I am thinking he had worst lag then couple of tenth of a sec

My point was that the aircraft was on an obvious collision course with the ground for at least the last 10 seconds of flight. The lag wasn't that large. There were no apparent signal issues prior to the sudden end, and the computed viewshed from the last recorded point indicates line of sight to the home point.

screenshot139.jpg

ahh ok I see what you are saying now cause of the 10 secs of last of the flight even with no lag data still enough time to see it ya that is weird something had to happen that the log file didn't log?

but wait didn't he say he lost connection in first post? hence no video feed?

Thanks for looking at it Sar (I haven't yet as I am still in denial) I would rather believe msinger, but I'm afraid your right. I believe my problem was not so much related to lag as it was to direct sunlight on my phone screen. The disconnect was extremely sudden, and occurred at what I thought was many hundreds of feet above the ground so I just assumed my old battery had died on me. I guess we'll see tomorrow (if I find it) where it ended up, and what kind of condition it's in (its location happens to be in about the thickest patch of scrub and brush in the area). After seeing so many people's stupid mistakes, its hard to accept that I would make one even more so:(.
Thanks again to you all, and I'll keep you updated tomorrow!

did it reconnect? or you thought it didn't? but it did?

I would rather believe msinger
You probably don't want to do that either ;)

It did not return home, so you likely crashed into a tree (as it coasted to a stop), the ground (if it didn't have time to stop), or a tree as it tried to return to the home point.

Reactions: sar104 and MavicCF
You probably don't want to do that either ;)

It did not return home, so you likely crashed into a tree (as it coasted to a stop), the ground (if it didn't have time to stop), or a tree as it tried to return to the home point.
I would rather it hit a tree at a reletivly reasonable speed than coming straight down at high speed. Either way, its probably not going to be pretty:(.

Hope for the best!

I did get the best video I've gotten in months that flight though:). Really want that SD card...

Thanks for looking at it Sar (I haven't yet as I am still in denial) I would rather believe msinger, but I'm afraid your right. I believe my problem was not so much related to lag as it was to direct sunlight on my phone screen. The disconnect was extremely sudden, and occurred at what I thought was many hundreds of feet above the ground so I just assumed my old battery had died on me. I guess we'll see tomorrow (if I find it) where it ended up, and what kind of condition it's in (its location happens to be in about the thickest patch of scrub and brush in the area). After seeing so many people's stupid mistakes, its hard to accept that I would make one even more so:(.
Thanks again to you all, and I'll keep you updated tomorrow!

Yes - sorry about that. Your mods were rather aggressive - that's a very fast descent rate that could get you into trouble without some horizontal speed, but I'm sure you are aware of that.

Are you on vacation or is that your home? That's a nice location. I use the Mancos shortcut to bypass Cortez.

ahhh ok I see what happen now I thought it crash AFTER it came back behind the hill

Yes - sorry about that. Your mods were rather aggressive - that's a very fast descent rate that could get you into trouble without some horizontal speed, but I'm sure you are aware of that.

Are you on vacation or is that your home? That's a nice location. I use the Mancos shortcut to bypass Cortez.
That's the home area. We were actually just passing through Los Alamos the other day.
The reason for the fast descent speed was because I do lots of flights up to that area from our house (several miles from where I was today) and have to climb quite a bit to get over the cliffs. Coming back I'm always shaving it close but have to stay high to keep signal. I end up rocketing back to earth on the last few percent. Didn't turn out that well today though...

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Va1entin