DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you seen similar problems on your MM video? (only respond if you have a mavic mini)

• Total voters
I took more footage today. My video is distorted in only the 2.7k. I also took pictures and none of them had any issues and they all looked very good. I took 1080p video at 60 fps and there was no distortion and the image looked perfect. The first photo is from the 2.7k and the second is from 1080p. The last photo is just a photo taken directly from the Mini with no post processing.

Attachments

• DJI_0022_Moment.jpg
    DJI_0022_Moment.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 36
  • DJI_0023_Moment.jpg
    DJI_0023_Moment.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
  • DJI_0043.JPG
    DJI_0043.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 37
Does anybody want to trade drones?!? Flying this one kinda makes me want a Pro Platinum haha. Seriously!

Last edited:
When I watched it in Auto resolution, I did see what looked like I was seeing it through slightly bubbling water. That looked like excessive compression to me.
Auto had selected 1080p. When I forced YT 1440 and let it cache, then I didn't see any issues.

When one was saying ripples, i assumed it was the effect others had called the jello effect, which is caused by prop shadow entering the camera and just the right frequency to be caught by a fast shutter speed. I saw a bit of it today on my M2Z when the sun was low. There aren't as many outlets for ND filters for the Zoom as there are for the Pro.

Reactions: F22arecool
I guess your pretty happy with how this is progressing- the right subject gives a better feel for the performance potential.

Who said you can only have one Mavic?

You will know prop shadow when you see it. An obvious flickering. What is most universally understood to be “jello” is usually attributed to the props also however it isn’t shadow related, it is an asynchronous frame alignment issue caused by vibration (out of balance props). Issues with the dampers isolating the camera/gimbal assembly from the airframe are often implicated also.

I guess your pretty happy with how this is progressing- the right subject gives a better feel for the performance potential.

You will know prop shadow when you see it. An obvious flickering. What is most universally understood to be “jello” is usually attributed to the props also however it isn’t shadow related, it is an asynchronous frame alignment issue caused by vibration (out of balance props). Issues with the dampers isolating the camera/gimbal assembly from the airframe are often implicated also.
I would buy a pro 2 in a heart beat if I had enough money ?? I've always wanted a drone since they first came out so I am really happy that I can finally fly one!

Reactions: WithTheBirds
I did more testing today, took the MM to the garden, handheld not flying, just test the camera by panning, so no prop wash or jello what so ever.... the problem is still there, it is very noticeable top and bottom with some sort of distortion and ripples. DJI I have uploaded the original file to Google Drive for you to download and uploaded to Youtube for others to check. Please address the issue before 16th Dec, 2019 or I will have to return it back to the shop, thanks.

Google Drive Download Link:
DJI_0027.MP4

Nope, didn't have vibration issues with my P3, and I don't with my M2. M2 did cast a bit of jello as the sun went down.

I did more testing today, took the MM to the garden, handheld not flying, just test the camera by panning, so no prop wash or jello what so ever.... the problem is still there, it is very noticeable top and bottom with some sort of distortion and ripples. DJI I have uploaded the original file to Google Drive for you to download and uploaded to Youtube for others to check. Please address the issue before 16th Dec, 2019 or I will have to return it back to the shop, thanks.

Google Drive Download Link:
DJI_0027.MP4

OK, now i see it. looks as if you're viewing through old glass.

Nope, didn't have vibration issues with my P3, and I don't with my M2. M2 did cast a bit of jello as the sun went down.
The fact you might not have had it obviously doesn’t mean it wasn’t an issue for others. Jello (sometimes called wobble) is caused by high frequency vibration. The effect you are referring to most would call prop shadows.

The same 'vibration' can be light vibration, say from a prop rotating at 500RPM?
You don’t need props at all. It can be from someone walking around nearby when you are shooting with a long lens on a tripod. I can get very pronounced jello using my vehicle as a rest with the engine idling at 650rpm.

I think we may have different definitions on what what the term jello refers to in this context. I never thought of it as jello but in the Phantom posts, the context seemed to be addressing the shadow bands in the image. Similar effect when you see a TV show in a TV show and the frames aren't in sync. The solution usually presented was to use ND filters to get the shutter speed near 2x frame rate which not only softens motion, but softens the strobing to non-existence.

I think we may have different definitions on what what the term jello refers to in this context. I never thought of it as jello but in the Phantom posts, the context seemed to be addressing the shadow bands in the image. Similar effect when you see a TV show in a TV show and the frames aren't in sync. The solution usually presented was to use ND filters to get the shutter speed near 2x frame rate which not only softens motion, but softens the strobing to non-existence.
It is now evident the confusion was simply a case of your using the term to describe an issue other than that most often attributed to the commonly understood meaning. You may not have seen the jello effect- it is distinctly different to prop shadows and also bears little similarity to the frame sync issue occasionally seen with poorly executed frame rate conversion in broadcast content. ND filters and shutter speed changes do little to correct jello. Rolling shutter + vibration = jello effect.

Sadly I discovered the same issue on mine.

If this won't be fixed asap, I'll send it back for sure.

Although I can't see it on 1080p footage. My guess is that its not cropping correctly into the sensor. It should crop a few steps up. The crop isnt aligned correctly.

I'm pretty sure this is a fixable software related issue.

It is now evident the confusion was simply a case of your using the term to describe an issue other than that most often attributed to the commonly understood meaning. You may not have seen the jello effect- it is distinctly different to prop shadows and also bears little similarity to the frame sync issue occasionally seen with poorly executed frame rate conversion in broadcast content. ND filters and shutter speed changes do little to correct jello. Rolling shutter + vibration = jello effect.
OK, here's a video showing what I understood was discussed mainly with the Phantoms, with most common solution to use ND filter to reduce shutter speed.

Focus on the far left side, particularly towards the top where the trees are. It's more noticeable in the original footage but even now before YT has completed full rendering, it is perceptible.
Shutter speed started at 1/800, went as low as 1/650 as I continued to turn right. Sun was getting low about 10 or 11 o'clock on the horizontal axis, about an hour and a half before sunset.

Very few situations discussed gimbal/AC vibration with respect to jello.

I just noticed another strange thing:

When importing the files into Adobe Premiere the distorted line on the bottom is completely gone. It's not visible in the preview while editing. The resulting exported file also doesn't show the issue.

I just noticed another strange thing:

When importing the files into Adobe Premiere the distorted line on the bottom is completely gone. It's not visible in the preview while editing. The resulting exported file also doesn't show the issue.
Do the pixels that are elongated part create additional image or are they cut off? Like when viewing the original video can you see the exact border between the distortion and clear image and then compare to the premier image to see if the pixels are correctly sorted?

OK, here's a video showing what I understood was discussed mainly with the Phantoms, with most common solution to use ND filter to reduce shutter speed.

Focus on the far left side, particularly towards the top where the trees are. It's more noticeable in the original footage but even now before YT has completed full rendering, it is perceptible.
Shutter speed started at 1/800, went as low as 1/650 as I continued to turn right. Sun was getting low about 10 or 11 o'clock on the horizontal axis, about an hour and a half before sunset.

Very few situations discussed gimbal/AC vibration with respect to jello.
The fact that it would prove to be such a trivial exercise for you to investigate this for yourself suggests you are either being intellectually dishonest -or- arguing from personal incredulity. Either way Im not interested, its too hard. Perform you own research if you are genuinely interested in the topic. I won't be further engaging with you.

Do the pixels that are elongated part create additional image or are they cut off? Like when viewing the original video can you see the exact border between the distortion and clear image and then compare to the premier image to see if the pixels are correctly sorted?
I can't tell whether they are cut off or if they are filled with additional image.

All I can tell is that the line is gone the moment I import those files to Adobe Premiere.

I will post a comparison Screenshot tomorrow. So that we can see if anything is cropped off.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe