DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've been talked out of the Mavic 2 for now

I would like to see some of there award winning shots taken with the MP.

I am also a loyal dji owner and have tried allmost all the dji products so far including the mavic pro and the mavic air.
Now i just received the mavic 2 pro and i have used it for a few days so i can say that i know what i am talking about..
Its an amazing machine which is emproved in everything over the mavic pro which i had (i dont have the platinum).
All the things you are saying are not true, it has everything the mavic 1 had plus much much much more..
I mean the Haseblad 1" camera is just amazing.
The precision landing is there with even a led light for the night!!
more sensors .. faster... more flight time... come on now ..
And the quality is exaclty the same as the mavic pro was not better not worse.. just perfect!
Didnt you see the video of a guy hiting the mavic at speed to a tree and nothing happened to it??
PRECISION LANDING? the new mavic's do not have that feature.

I luv my MP1. But, with the positive reviews I’m seeing for the MP2, I plan on getting one. That said, the first generation of any ‘tech toy’ usually have a couple kinks and I don’t mind waiting for these to be worked out by DJI and early adopters. And - the price will go down as well. The only bad thing about my strategy is I have to be envious for awhile - almost jealous. I’ve been there before. :)

Reactions: diego
I would like to see some of there award winning shots taken with the MP.

While the mavic CAN produce decent sale shots (mine paid for itself) the camera is junk. You have to use workarounds for all the limitations constantly. Its a 2015 cell phone camera with all the flaws.
The one advantage it has is it can go to places the cellphone can't.
The 2 Zoom if they havent changed the sensor and image processor (we dont know yet if they have) is likely to be just as bad so isn't an "upgrade" as such.

The 2 PRO on the other hand does initially promise to be able to produce far better quality images and need far few workarounds.

*caution, light hearted sarcasm follows*
Yeah Mel..... how can you call yourself a professional photographer if you dont have the best camera you can get.

Is that the message you are trying to convey @Dmbrody? Because if so, I dont agree.
Quality photography isnt totally reliant on pixel count or equipment quality/cost. Its more about talent than anything else.

I once told someone I couldn't arc weld, He told me get a wire feed welder because it would make a welder out of anybody. Kind of like great cameras make photographers out of anybody.
Totally valid point and totally valid way to read my last post, but no, that’s not what I’m trying to convey. Basically what I’m saying is that he posted a lot of misinformation.

That doesn’t serve to help the community learn. Subsequently he tried to stand by the misinformation, but each point eventually fell away, except the percision landing bit. I also questioned why a self proclaimed professional photographer would focus (pun intended) on pretty much everything EXCEPT image quality.

But i couldn’t agree with you more when you say:
Quality photography isnt totally reliant on pixel count or equipment quality/cost. Its more about talent than anything else.

No its not but contrary to that technical details DO matter.
If the image isn't sharp its a problem. If its full of noise its a problem.
If the cameras limitations to render lighting mean there are blown out areas thats a problem.

The limitations of of the camera set the boundaries for what you can creatively photograph. The mavic 1 camera had very real severe shortcomings which drastically restricted what you could do acceptably with it. Yes you can work around (multiple manual bracketing, in my case cropping 15% off the left due to it being unsharp) but ultimately it restricts what you can do.

Totally valid point and totally valid way to read my last post, but no, that’s not what I’m trying to convey. Basically what I’m saying is that he posted a lot of misinformation.

That doesn’t serve to help the community learn. Subsequently he tried to stand by the misinformation, but each point eventually fell away, except the percision landing bit. I also questioned why a self proclaimed professional photographer would focus (pun intended) on pretty much everything EXCEPT image quality.

But i couldn’t agree with you more when you say:
Silly discussion. I discussed image quality and posted an example of an image from my Mavic. I got one thing wrong based on what other new owners reported. Everything else I mentioned was/is true.

If you like the camera, great. The new drone is a nice improvement, but I could not find a a compelling reason to buy it at this point, which I said in my OP.

Give it a rest. You are entitled to your own opinion, just like I am entitled to mine. Your use of terms like 'so called' is derogatory, tasteless and wrong. You are talking about me without knowledge. They are just slurs because you've run out of good points.

A forum is just that. A place to post one's opinion. I've done that, and you've done that too. Try to be nice. That's what makes forums work.

I've made my points, you've made yours. I won't respond to any more of your harshly toned comments.

Silly discussion. I discussed image quality and posted an example of an image from my Mavic. I got one thing wrong based on what other new owners reported. Everything else I mentioned was/is true.

If you like the camera, great. The new drone is a nice improvement, but I could not find a a compelling reason to buy it at this point, which I said in my OP.

Give it a rest. You are entitled to your own opinion, just like I am entitled to mine. Your use of terms like 'so called' is derogatory, tasteless and wrong. You are talking about me without knowledge. They are just slurs because you've run out of good points.

A forum is just that. A place to post one's opinion. I've done that, and you've done that too. Try to be nice. That's what makes forums work.

I've made my points, you've made yours. I won't respond to any more of your harshly toned comments.
You are absolutely right. That was harshly worded. I apologize. However, there is a difference between stating an opinion and stating misinformation. There are trolls on these forums and I admit I began to think you were one. My mistake.

Appreciate the apology. I'm happy to discuss my views, just no reason to get emotional. As I've said several times, I'll probably get a new Mavic at some point, but perhaps the next iteration from this one. I've had no issues with my MPP, no crashes, no surprises, other than the fact that it's little sensor does quite well. Yes, I shoot HDR and I increase resolution by shooting panos, but I don't know any good photographer who just takes an image straight out of the camera. I do most of my Mavic photo work at golden time and the results are quite good.

Reactions: safetorque
Appreciate the apology. I'm happy to discuss my views, just no reason to get emotional. As I've said several times, I'll probably get a new Mavic at some point, but perhaps the next iteration from this one. I've had no issues with my MPP, no crashes, no surprises, other than the fact that it's little sensor does quite well. Yes, I shoot HDR and I increase resolution by shooting panos, but I don't know any good photographer who just takes an image straight out of the camera. I do most of my Mavic photo work at golden time and the results are quite good.

I agree - I've been very impressed with the output from the Mavic Pro in RAW, and the images are certainly useable for many purposes. That said, the Mavic 2 Pro camera is in a different league - it's a flying RX100. And it feels noticeably different to fly - more stable and responsive than the MP.

So much, so late, so many birthing pains....as an engineer...I know the feeling....
I believe that I will wait for the dust to clear. My MPP is providing all the quality images that I am ready to deal with.
Later, Baby

Good for you, Mel, for hanging in there with this thread. Agree, this should be a place to share opinions without feeling attacked- (something we’re not very good at as a society, lately).
Obviously the M2P is an evolution- I think some are really thinking they’re getting away with a hasselblad on the cheap- my guess is it’s really branding we bought and the folks at hassleblad are rolling they’re eyes at their name being associated with a cheap Chinese drone. Yeah, I think it’s cheap. I love it though.

Well DJI do own Hasselblad.
Its a bit of a change in direction, hasselblad build huge medium format cameras. They've never had to design anything with a sensor this small before.

As I stated up front I may get one after some issues are fixed. My look at early images from the camera do not knock me out... sorry.., that's what I see...

Hmm. What were you expecting and where have you looked?

Just my 2 cents...

I had the Mavic Pro but sold it two weeks ago. :) But I absolutely loved that little flying machine. It inspired and amazed me every time I would fly it. And I flew it a lot!

Enter the Mavic 2 Zoom. I absolutely LOVE this drone! With the features I use, it was improved in every single way. Some were small improvements and others were huge. I almost second-guessed my decision of selling my MP to get a M2Z because of fears of early adopter bugs. But the thing has been rock solid so far. And again... I am in awe every time I fly it. It's an incredible piece of technology!
  1. The camera quality is a small improvement over the MP but it has ZOOM! Way cool! Thumbswayup
  2. The gimbal is a HUGE improvement!
  3. Sensors all around vs forward and down.
  4. Sensor sensitivity and distance has been increased.
  5. Increased flight time.
  6. Increased speed. BTW, on the MP, I could only fly about 20 MPH with sensors on. M2P and M2Z can go 30!
  7. Way better Accutrack!
  8. Occusync 2.0. Have already experienced better quality connections especially in hi WiFi areas.
  9. Smoother flight. It's very stable and not as skittish.
  10. Quieter than MP.
  11. APAS
  12. Etc...
No worries in waiting. Things should only get better with newer firmware and updates. But so far, I'm not regretting the upgrade!

Exactly! I have every iteration of the consumer DJI’s and this drone is by far my go to Drone now. It handles landing in tight spaces much more confidently due to more intelligent sensors and the upgrade in distance is just awesome. I’m getting used to the camera and I expect good things with future updates. Every feature of my Mavic Pro has been improved. What’s not to love? Some people just have to find a reason not to pull the trigger and that their prerogative. Mine was to buy this bad boy the day it came out and I love it!

IMG_6024.JPG

E0C12F16A14812A6367E8A1000F4C971.jpg

A061EBB129B13A8CAF803297CBA56017.jpg

EA1F78F2C7C1D2C23500F1D1C3954F91.jpg

IMG_6030.JPG

It's an amazing drone but my gimbal burned out after 2 days (no crashes) and after doing some research I've found some other people with the same problem. DJI told one of them that it can be caused by wind, and I flew mine in some wind the first day, so it might be possible that the WIND burned out my gimbal within 48 hours of getting it. I'm returning and waiting to see how the reliable checks out over a few months. Otherwise the thing was awesome, the images were actually stunning.

I was one of those DJI customers that could not wait for the second generation Mavic, but reading many of the threads up here has really given me pause.

Sloppy assembly, killing useful features, and plenty of reported 'issues' have me really not wanting to upgrade.

My current drone is a Mavic Pro Platinum. It's quiet, stable, and has been reliable.

As a pro photographer I understand the limitations of the camera it has, but doing panos and shooting RAW I can get some breathtaking images.

http://www.azdeepskies.com/_Media/pano000y-pano.jpeg

No precision landing is a non-starter. Sure, I usually land manually, but there are times it's very nice to have, so why take it away?

Jpegs only on panoramas? What are they thinking at DJI? The Mavic 2 is supposed to be a better photography tool than the Mavic 1. Why have a better sensor and then prohibit you from shooting RAW in that mode?

The Zoom model is also another head scratcher. It's basically the same camera (sensor) I have now.

In my view a new model should improve on the old in many areas, but never get behind the model it replaces. That's the apparent mistake DJI has made here.

Some of these things can be fixed in firmware if DJI decides it wants to. Some things, like the camera sensor on the Zoom can't be fixed.

I'm sticking with my MPP, which takes fine pictures, is quieter than the new Mavic 2 according to several reports, and doesn't have crippled RAW capabilities.

I was ready to buy, and maybe in months or a year Q/A will get better and the Mavic Pro 2 will tempt me. But for now, no sale.
I ended up getting the Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 because I already have the Mavic

Since its launch, I've already assessed ten cases of battery overheating and battery popping off on both models. Last one yesterday night. Battery popped off again on another model. You may all want to be keeping an eye on your fresh releases.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13