DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just another new drone pilot...

Gatorpilot74

Reactions
Hello all, career professional pilot (large cabin business jets, domestic and international) and FAA Designated Pilot Examiner. I have also owned my light twin aircraft for nearly twenty-two years and have flown it all over the United States. My whole life has been aviation, now I'm interested in these little drones and very impressed by what they can do. I'm a FAASTeam Lead Representative as well and may become a Drone Pro -- we'll see. I am currently operating with the stock DJI Air 2S "Fly More" package. I'm interested in using the drone mainly for fun - to track my off-road adventures and get good footage of scenic places I visit for work. But, I may be interested in monetizing the platform at some point, perhaps largely for the novelty of it, but as I age, low risk endeavors are increasingly enticing.

I am interested in the Part 107 and BVLOS discussions which are ongoing here, as well as learning how to shoot good footage with my Air 2S.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. 👍

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Hello all, career professional pilot (large cabin business jets, domestic and international) and FAA Designated Pilot Examiner. I have also owned my light twin aircraft for nearly twenty-two years and have flown it all over the United States. My whole life has been aviation, now I'm interested in these little drones and very impressed by what they can do. I'm a FAASTeam Lead Representative as well and may become a Drone Pro -- we'll see. I am currently operating with the stock DJI Air 2S "Fly More" package. I'm interested in using the drone mainly for fun - to track my off-road adventures and get good footage of scenic places I visit for work. But, I may be interested in monetizing the platform at some point, perhaps largely for the novelty of it, but as I age, low risk endeavors are increasingly enticing.

I am interested in the Part 107 and BVLOS discussions which are ongoing here, as well as learning how to shoot good footage with my Air 2S.
Welcome, I'm retired Air Force and a Part 107 operator. Based on your already existing qualifications you'll have no problem with doing what you want to do. If you have questions and want the straight answers one available valuable asset is Greg at Pilot Institute. He can answer ANY question that comes to mind and gives you access to dozens of free classes on a variety of different drones and their operation. Free Free Free as they say...lol. PI also offers paid classes in Part 107 requirements which I'm not even sure you would need. You mention your advanced age and I have to smile at that as well because I'll be 75 in a couple months and I just completed the test. If you belong to Facebook, in addition to being a member of this forum there are a number of different specific Facebook groups that expose you to tons of information and EVERYONE willingly offers advice on literally EVERYTHING, again he says that with a smile because sometimes you get more than you really need or ask for. Welcome again and don't hesitate to ASK, everyone will help.

Welcome, I'm retired Air Force and a Part 107 operator. Based on your already existing qualifications you'll have no problem with doing what you want to do. If you have questions and want the straight answers one available valuable asset is Greg at Pilot Institute. He can answer ANY question that comes to mind and gives you access to dozens of free classes on a variety of different drones and their operation. Free Free Free as they say...lol. PI also offers paid classes in Part 107 requirements which I'm not even sure you would need. You mention your advanced age and I have to smile at that as well because I'll be 75 in a couple months and I just completed the test. If you belong to Facebook, in addition to being a member of this forum there are a number of different specific Facebook groups that expose you to tons of information and EVERYONE willingly offers advice on literally EVERYTHING, again he says that with a smile because sometimes you get more than you really need or ask for. Welcome again and don't hesitate to ASK, everyone will help.

Thanks. Well... I'm 47, not sure if I qualify as "advanced age," but certainly limiting my exposure to risk is more appealing now than when I was younger.

I picked up my Part 107 in a couple of hours. Figured I'd rather have it than not, and it was very easy to get.

The regulations are straightforward and not confusing to me. I have enjoyed the BVLOS discussions. I have been interested in the rationalizations provided by those who suggest that violating the regulations in that area is justifiable from a safety standpoint. There are so many factors which non-aviation people fail to pick up. In addition to fixed-wing ops, I also have a background in helicopters and spent a great deal of time flying turbine equipment at altitudes of 500 feet or lower... and that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of variables which a non-pilot UAS operator wouldn't necessarily conceive of. It's probably just a matter of time before a UAS is at the center of a significant aviation accident and it wouldn't surprise me if BVLOS ops are involved.

The industry is ripe with opportunity and I'm looking forward to participating - safely and in compliance with the regulations as put forth by the FAA, of course. :)

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Welcome to the MavicPilots forum. Enjoy safe and happy flying!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Welcome too from the U.K. I wanted to be a Fleet Air Arm pilot when I was at school but wasn't clever enough to get in so lived my flying dreams through my son-a commercial airline pilot for 20 years before the pandemic sent the airline to the wall. My Spark and now MA2 give me huge pleasure and know it will give you the same once you get into it. All you need is the weather which we don’t over here!! Fly safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe