DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just put my drone in the lake now I'm trying to find it need help

What a great result. It seems that most people coming here ranting about the drones failure and how bad DJI are, then show data that demonstrates pilot error.
To have a humble pilot come on ready to accept responsibility and then turn out to be a clear warranty issue is nice.
I hope DJI look after you mate, and at the end of the day, it has made you think about keeping good situational awareness when flying.
Keep us informed how you go with warranty action
:)

What a great result. It seems that most people coming here ranting about the drones failure and how bad DJI are, then show data that demonstrates pilot error.
To have a humble pilot come on ready to accept responsibility and then turn out to be a clear warranty issue is nice.
I hope DJI look after you mate, and at the end of the day, it has made you think about keeping good situational awareness when flying.
Keep us informed how you go with warranty action
:)

Well said dude, spot on analogy

I heard back from DJI and they have asked for plenty of information. I have everything they have requested... let’s see how it goes.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Last edited:
That folder just contains all of your flight records. Perhaps they want to examine flight before your last bubbly one to determine if there were issues with those flights. Or perhaps they think you may have recovered the Mavic and dried it out and are still flying it. Thus creating flight records AFTER the date that you reported the water incident.

This is speculation...

That folder just contains all of your flight records. Perhaps they want to examine flight before your last bubbly one to determine if there were issues with those flights. Or perhaps they think you may have recovered the Mavic and dried it out and are still flying it. Thus creating flight records AFTER the date that you reported the water incident.

This is speculation...
Changing your name to Detective BDOG.

Got a new email today...

FIRST let me thank the members of this forum, without their help I would be droneless. I had basically written my drone loss off to my own stupidity. With their help and guidance, I followed their instructions and uploaded my data only to find I wasn't quite as stupid as I thought, and my loss is now a warranty claim.

Here is part of the email I received from DJI today.

"The unfortunate incident that occurred to your aircraft has been confirmed as a warranty case according to our data analysis."

They will be sending me a replacement Mavic 2 Zoom and battery.

Again with great appreciation... Thank you to all here that help the other members of the forum!

Stuff: That is wonderful news and how nice to have a happy ending. Have fun with your new bird and I know you'll be careful. :)

Reactions: STUFF2C
I have had a lot of time to think about this, and one thing that really needs to be brought up and concerns me deeply (there's a pun there).

Through no fault of my own... that drone hit the lake at approximately 54MPH from 100' in the air.

If I had been flying anywhere near people or property, the outcome could have been pretty bad. Food for thought folks.

The IMU completely lost the plot here. If you compare what I think is basically barometric altitude (OSD_height) with what the FC/IMU thought was happening vertically, by integrating the vertical velocity with respect to time, you get the following:

View attachment 64309

These track pretty well (as they should) until 92 seconds, at which point the IMU vertical speed goes in the wrong direction. Thinking that it is in an uncommanded ascent, the FC cuts motor power (inferred) and the aircraft goes into rapid descent, reaching around 10 m/s before the IMU looks like it starts to recover. That's too late to prevent splashdown.

Summary - the IMU or the FC failed in the vertical plane. There was no throttle input and this was not pilot error. Should be covered under warranty.

this mavic 2 board - does it have dual IMU or a single one?

Check out what happens at 9:08 in this video. An impact like that could easily kill someone. The rule not to fly over people is there for a reason.

yeah, stuff happens. no need to be paranoid, but, it usually helps to keep in mind that your toy has, potentially, an explosive device inside of a flying lawn mower. it`s just mavic itself is so small that most people simply refuse to respect the reality. but, stuff happens, motors die, ESCs burn, flight controllers overheat, batteries explode, it is rare but all possible. what happens then is your liability.

Reactions: BD0G
Super stoked to hear DJI is making things right and sending you a replacement Mavic 2 Zoom! Its all in the Flight Logs which are irrefutable.

A 54 MPH smash is definitely food for thought.

If you have not already considered a personal articles policy on your Mavic written by Statefarm I would strongly suggest it. $60 a year.

interesting how it all could fail like that then... not nice at all.
do logs have any vibration channel and other internal telemetry output? or is it all hidden in the encrypted files?
By vibration channel maybe you're referring to the accelerometers. Look here to see some of the available for the Mavic 2. The .DAT on the Mavic 2 is encrypted but the .DAT on the tablet is only encoded. You can use CsvView or DatCon to decode and view the tablet .DAT.
CsvView Downloads
DatCon Downloads

By vibration channel maybe you're referring to the accelerometers. Look here to see some of the available for the Mavic 2. The .DAT on the Mavic 2 is encrypted but the .DAT on the tablet is only encoded. You can use CsvView or DatCon to decode and view the tablet .DAT.
CsvView Downloads
DatCon Downloads
i am not familiar with DJI stack, what i was asking was - is it possible to do the assessment of the vibration levels to see, essentially, a something like this, below?
i have csvview software but did not dig too much into the list of available metrics and data channels in there. all i could see at a first glance was quite a high level... so that is why i am asking.

1551897231062.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54