DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kids trying to knock drone down, get trespass warning.

@Infidel90 just wondering: did the cops attempt to contact you?

I can see the conversation can go either way....

A) " Hey, what were *you* doing flying over private property? " ( or something to that affect), or

B) "Do you have any photos/video that you can provide us (as evidence) to assist in this investigation?"

Question "B" is kinda interesting? Can the cops impound/confiscate your drone for a matter of evidence?

Let's say, one of the kids fell from the roof (with a nonfatal injury) and the cops need to know that part happened. Would "surrendering" the SD card be enough, or is there a risk of your whole flight system (drone, controller, and *your phone*) getting impounded for evidence (to get the flight logs from to Go app)?

The "fell from roof" scenario is kinda middle ground -- the cops *may* want photographic evidence. But, suppose the event involved a fatality (from the fall, or going extreme, someone pulled a gun) and *demand* you turn in your gear.

I can't really say what I'd do. I just don't want my gear "impounded" for evidence and not able to fly for who-knows-how-long.

Nice job I'm a teacher in NC with a MP and I'm glad you did it I love my school and I would want vandals to mess it up... I use my MP (Snoopy) for practices and review ...out of the way of people[emoji4]

I would have kept flying...away from any potential trouble or incidents. If you haven't learned the value of that maybe someday you will.

Nah...you gave kept the cops out
Had they fallen off the roof and I were their parent I would have owned you under 'attractive nuisance'

You continued to taunt and tempt them
Are you also 14 years old?

It seems everyone these days wants to shift the blame to anyone but themselves . The kids were the wrong doers here but in todays world of never ending litigation you are correct in that the parents would most likely sue by claiming the drone pilot enticed the kids to climb higher . As a drone pilot you have to be careful what you are actually getting into . Perhaps a car driver could also claim you were a distraction that caused an accident when flying over a highway ??

... Trespassing a construction area for kids is not something that will kill them ...

This from the UK ..... "The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is warning construction companies to take extra care in safeguarding their sites during the summer holidays. According to the HSE’s chief inspector of Construction: “Without proper precautions, construction sites are dangerous places for those who work on them day in day out, never mind the risks to children who simply see them as exciting playgrounds and don’t understand the dangers.”

Sadly, in the UK there are child fatalities each year from playing on building sites.

I actually went to the cops when they were on the way. I gave dispatch a description, and where they were hiding on the roof. She asked how I knew where they were, and I said I'm looking at them with my drone. When I made contact with the police, I walked over with the controller still running and flew over the school looking for a possible 4th person. Cop asked if it was a pre recorded and I said no, its live and pointed into the sky showing the drone. I still have the video. I did lose connection a couple times as I lowered the drone when I first saw them. For some reason that day, the connection was just crap.

I've dealt with police plenty of times. If a cop or the school (this is a public school, so its not "private property", as some seem to keep thinking), wants the video I'd be happy to give it to them. I'm not worried some cop is going to pull a gun on me for flying a drone, and if they did, well it'd be payday for me. It might help the school know where kids are climbing up the wall to get onto the roof. If a kid fell or was hurt, again my video would be good for defense from some loon parent (like some posted here) for negligence, rather than hold the child accountable for his (illegal) actions.

A) " Hey, what were *you* doing flying over private property? " ( or something to that affect), or

B) "Do you have any photos/video that you can provide us (as evidence) to assist in this investigation?"

Question "B" is kinda interesting? Can the cops impound/confiscate your drone for a matter of evidence?

Let's say, one of the kids fell from the roof (with a nonfatal injury) and the cops need to know that part happened. Would "surrendering" the SD card be enough, or is there a risk of your whole flight system (drone, controller, and *your phone*) getting impounded for evidence (to get the flight logs from to Go app)?

The "fell from roof" scenario is kinda middle ground -- the cops *may* want photographic evidence. But, suppose the event involved a fatality (from the fall, or going extreme, someone pulled a gun) and *demand* you turn in your gear.

I can't really say what I'd do. I just don't want my gear "impounded" for evidence and not able to fly for who-knows-how-long.

Last edited:
Reactions: cderoche and Nikon1
I actually went to the cops when they were on the way. I gave dispatch a description, and where they were hiding on the roof. She asked how I knew where they were, and I said I'm looking at them with my drone. When I made contact with the police, I walked over with the controller still running and flew over the school looking for a possible 4th person. Cop asked if it was a pre recorded and I said no, its live and pointed into the sky showing the drone. I still have the video. I did lose connection a couple times as I lowered the drone when I first saw them. For some reason that day, the connection was just crap.

I've dealt with police plenty of times. If a cop or the school (this is a public school, so its not "private property", as some seem to keep thinking), wants the video I'd be happy to give it to them. I'm not worried some cop is going to pull a gun on me for flying a drone, and if they did, well it'd be payday for me. It might help the school know where kids are climbing up the wall to get onto the roof. If a kid fell or was hurt, again my video would be good for defense from some loon parent (like some posted here) for negligence, rather than hold the child accountable for his (illegal) actions.

I'm definitely on the side of you did your civic duty and I support you 1,000%! You may have prevented vandalism as well as those kids hurting themselves - and costing the taxpayers $$$$ when (potentially) their parents sued the construction company / local government for providing an "attractive nuisance" by not posting armed guards 24/7 to prevent their progeny from entering the site.

In my youth, had I been caught, it would have meant "Strict & Quick Justice" from my father!

Reactions: raymo

At most, the SD card would suffice. They can care less about flight logs and all that. A copy of the contents on the SD Card is sufficient. When a bank gets robbed, they don't confiscate all of the DVRs and Surveillance cameras. A DVD copy or USB drive is all they get. I speak from first hand experience in this sort of thing. Drones weren't around back when I did it, but I don't see any difference in terms of using the photographic and video evidence against the criminals. If your drone video solves a case for the police I'm certain they will overlook any why did you fly over that non sense. Just speaking from the experienced mindset of the type of people you would be dealing with. I know if I ever noticed anything suspicious in the area from flying my drone I'd loiter around to see what happens. You might even catch a neighborhood burglar or car thief.

I would have kept flying...away from any potential trouble or incidents. If you haven't learned the value of that maybe someday you will.

True but what if those children tried doing something even more dumb, like lighting the school on fire and someone died? Perhaps he both stopped the crime from escalating, they were in a spot where probably no one (except a drone that is) could witness them. At least the parents now have proof what their little vandal kids were up to, some of these kids' parents these days..... let their kids get away with anything and can be so naive. Not my kid, he was at his friends house all weekend.

I'd love to be able to help the boys in blue on the ground if they were chasing a suspect on foot and lost him...

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123