DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

landing matt

The time I didn't use one something I didn't see was sticking up out of the grass and it broke a propeller.
It was a church lawn with nice short grass so I thought I was safe.

it has a two fold purpose, the contrasting colours help the mav with precision landing, and it keeps the props from hitting anything and blowing dust or debri into the motors and the drone

I have considered it, but changed to hand start/land very soon after my beginning of flying. I want to be as portable as can be and a landing pad, although foldable, still adds a lot of space and weight.
It may also help others to recognise you are piloting when seeing the mat with a 'H' on it ...

Last edited:
I use my Lunar Landing Pad and LOVE it. To be honest I use it more than I thought I would. I highly suggest a landing pad for your operations and for total transparency I usually hand catch but Landing Pad launch.

Yes, get a landing mat. To repeat what has been said: The mat offers significant ground contrast which the drone sensor picks up. It offers just enough off-the-ground protection against dust & the props hitting grass. If you get a mat with plastic stakes to secure the mat, push them all the way into the ground and/or at an angle so they do not stick up.

what i did with mine to eliminate the need for pegs and to stop it blowing away in the wind ,is to get some fishing line lead weights the type used for ledgering, they have a small eye at one end to attach the line too,if you get some small cable ties you can attach them to the loops that the pegs go through, they do not prevent the pad from folding up and because there are 4 of them they hold the pad down with no bother see attached picsFHD0022.JPGFHD0023.JPGFHD0024.JPG

Last edited:
Brilliant! That's why I love this forum....
what i did with mine to eliminate the need for pegs and to stop it blowing away in the wind ,is to get some fishing line lead weights the type used for ledgering, they have a small eye at one end to attach the line too,if you get some small cable ties you can attach them to the loops that the pegs go through, they do not prevent the pad from folding up and because there are 4 of them they hold the pad down with no bother see attached picsView attachment 82417View attachment 82418View attachment 82419

what i did with mine to eliminate the need for pegs and to stop it blowing away in the wind ,is to get some fishing line lead weights the type used for ledgering, they have a small eye at one end to attach the line too,if you get some small cable ties you can attach them to the loops that the pegs go through, they do not prevent the pad from folding up and because there are 4 of them they hold the pad down with no bother see attached picsView attachment 82417View attachment 82418View attachment 82419
Similar idea here too. I filled four small bags with lead-free shot I had left over from the time I filled the base of my floorstanding speakers. I just throw them in the bag along with the mat. It's a bit of extra weight but it has the advantage that you don't need to find a bit of soft ground for the pegs.

Was thinking about this very thing the last couple times out with my MP; both in grass. This thread was the catalyst in ordering one which I did today; will arrive tomorrow. Many thanks!

@old man mavic - super tip. Have a tackle shop across the road from me so will pick some up. What weight are you using?
not sure my mate gave them to me he is the fisherman they are about an inch and a half long and half inch wide and taper slightly at the eye end if that helps

Last edited:
the one in my pics has a thin metal hoop in its outer edge and it has never upset the compass in my Mav, i always check compass north with a pocket compass at waist height, and then lower it to the surface of the pad to see if anything in the ground affects it

Reactions: Drgnfli
Essential piece of kit for all drone pilots.
I use a dive weight to hold mine down on windy days. Nice and heavy and easy to attach. It just slips through the loop on the pad. I keep the weight in the car boot so it's always with me.DSCF5277.JPGDSCF5276.JPG

I use the drone case for take off and hand catch for landing. I have a matt but never found a need to use it.

Reactions: old man mavic
For me this is dust avoidance, but more importantly the ability to take off (and land) on grass and other unsuitable surfaces/locations.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife