DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas Airport - Drone Flying Over Plane

Video from alleged idiot showing range of FPV drone (for people doubting its ability to reach plane's altitude):

BS, there is most certainly a chance of a crash, especially if the aircraft is taking off or landing.
Ever been on a commercial flight that experiences compressor stall on take off or landing? Sounds like the engine is constantly exploding and significant thrust is lost. All twin engine passenger aircraft are certified for emergency one engine take off or landing recovery. All twins can fly for hours on one engine in an emergency. I agree this would not be pleasant for that aircraft or the repercussions on our hobby.
As an aside, I'm retired Coast Guard SAR helicopter and C130 pilot which is multi engine jet rating. Been out for years but I follow the aviation trade and trends so I'm pretty confident on my rersponse to you.
Happy flying!

Reactions: laurens23 and Dw911
In regards to people comparing bird strikes vs drone strikes...can lipo batteries (used on many drones) explode/catch fire, thus causing more damage than birds?

In regards to people comparing bird strikes vs drone strikes...can lipo batteries (used on many drones) explode/catch fire, thus causing more damage than birds?
Anything going through the compressor blades will cause catastrophic failure. At that point the small flame added to the combustion chamber flame will make little difference. It's the mechanical damage that's the booger.

He's definitely screwed. But it's his own fault. I'm a strong UAV supporter but seriously, this can not and will not be defended by anyone in the drone community. Hope the FAA makes an example of him.

Reactions: Afremont
Ever been on a commercial flight that experiences compressor stall on take off or landing? Sounds like the engine is constantly exploding and significant thrust is lost. All twin engine passenger aircraft are certified for emergency one engine take off or landing recovery. All twins can fly for hours on one engine in an emergency. I agree this would not be pleasant for that aircraft or the repercussions on our hobby.
As an aside, I'm retired Coast Guard SAR helicopter and C130 pilot which is multi engine jet rating. Been out for years but I follow the aviation trade and trends so I'm pretty confident on my rersponse to you.
Happy flying!

Because catastrophic failure is impossible with FOD ingestion. And said impossible catastrophic failure cannot lead to airframe structural damage. All because some kid wanted some awesome footage. But, wait, both events are impossible and the plane will be just fine!

Because catastrophic failure is impossible with FOD ingestion. And said impossible catastrophic failure cannot lead to airframe structural damage. All because some kid wanted some awesome footage. But, wait, both events are impossible and the plane will be just fine!
See the film and pics of I think it was an Airbus that blew the low side compressor over the Atlantic and has to divert to BFE Canada? The whole front of the engine nacelle came off. No structural failure. They test them to destruction for all these scenarios during design builds. The advent of trans-oceanic twin engine aircraft has changed the whole design and survive ability dynamic. Ever seen the films of the chicken guns? Where they shoot frozen chickens and turkeys through a running engine? Same thing. They stay together. Can the absolute worst happen and all the odds stack up against the aircraft and it come down? Yes but I don't think it's gonna happen. Or let me say I hope it's not gonna happen. Buddy of mine's dad was a B-29 bombardier in WW2 and used to say every time he got in the aircraft, " I don't care if my ticket comes up today, I just hope the pilots doesn't." Words to live by.
So a bird or a drone are not likely to destroy today's modern jet engine but yes it could happen. Bottom line is this jerk in Vegas needs jail time.

Reactions: Dw911
I wish once and for evermore folks on this website would stop speculating on what any level of FOD ingestion would do to an engine, nor what would happen if ingested at a critical time, such as takeoff or landing, which is almost certainly when it would happen.
Of course engines are certified to remain intact during certain FOD events, and part of the training covers such events, but there are too many variables to speak to the issue with certainty.
That is not to say it would be handled perfectly, and I certainly wouldn't want to try it.
Nor does that cover any of the other possibilities of impacting one of those things.
I am well aware of one 777 that had an engine oil situation at cruise, during a low workload time, and within 15 seconds, the engine completely seized, nearly tearing itself off the wing.
Stuff happens.
Just stay the hell away from airplanes and airports.
But please, cease this nonsense of stating what would happen, because nobody has any idea.

Regardless of the speculation on what might happen if a drone goes through an engine it’s gonna CO$T. Does this clown have the resources to pay for it?

Reactions: grinder
Just like after a few people got shot with guns, no one can have guns now?
It wont be a disaster I can assure you.
if a drone hits a passenger plane, It will be big news. It isnt going to bring the plane crashing down.
It is very stupid what this person did. But a cool video.

But I still say it was filmed with an RC plane and not a drone. The footage looks just like some I have seen from a foam sonicmodel a friend had. Even the roll at the end.

Now tell me a drone can’t flip and roll like that...

I knew couple seconds into the video this was a racing drone, and had no doubt it's a racing drone once it started doing the flips. Check out racing drone videos, check out Atlanta FPV on youtube, these guys are talented. We are the slow-cruising Harleys, and these guys are the sport-racing Suzukis. It takes a lot of talent, hand and eye coordination, and ability to react fast, to fly these things at the highest level, through trees, tunnels, obstacle courses, down along a building (again, youtube Atlanta FPV). I gotta entry level fpv racing drone I haven't even started mastering, but it can do flips close to this.

That being said, it is extremely stupid to fly anywhere near planes. I bet that guy wouldn't want someone flying a drone near a plane he's a passenger on. He'll probably get caught.

Those drones should be illegal.
They are the assault rifles of the model aircraft society.
Have you ever seen the people that fly them? The Bam Marjera skate boarders of the hobby.
:D :D :D

Look at 9 seconds in or 21 or 22 seconds to go when the plane, a camera shake and the music chord mysteriously occur together. The video changes speed as the traffic below and to left of plane slowsdown at the same time. I know things are edited to look good with music but to me it it's too coincidental to be times with the beginning of the music. Don't even get me started on the differences or similiarities rather on Bing maps and the layout. Just seems like an incredible edit to me, showing a very foolish thing.

Video I am referencing:

Last edited:
Look at 21 or 22 seconds whan the plane, a camera shake and the music chord mysteriously occur together. I know things are edited to look good with music but to me it it's too coincidental to be times with the beginning of the music. Don't even get me started on the differences or similiarities rather on Bing maps and the layout. Just seems like an incredible edit to me, showing a very foolish thing.
Ummm... Okay ...

I wish once and for evermore folks on this website would stop speculating on what any level of FOD ingestion would do to an engine, nor what would happen if ingested at a critical time, such as takeoff or landing, which is almost certainly when it would happen.
Of course engines are certified to remain intact during certain FOD events, and part of the training covers such events, but there are too many variables to speak to the issue with certainty.
That is not to say it would be handled perfectly, and I certainly wouldn't want to try it.
Nor does that cover any of the other possibilities of impacting one of those things.
I am well aware of one 777 that had an engine oil situation at cruise, during a low workload time, and within 15 seconds, the engine completely seized, nearly tearing itself off the wing.
Stuff happens.
Just stay the **** away from airplanes and airports.
But please, cease this nonsense of stating what would happen, because nobody has any idea.

That goes for the doom and gloomers too though! Everytime anything comes out here come the a crash is imminent crowd!

Reactions: Dw911 and lrsn
Those drones should be illegal.
They are the assault rifles of the model aircraft society.
Have you ever seen the people that fly them? The Bam Marjera skate boarders of the hobby.
:D :D :D

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I bet they're doing something horrible to their fathers while he's on the toilet, even as we speak!!!

Oh and I bet those EVIL DJI NFZs look pretty good right about now, huh?

So you think the "man" will go door to door collecting the millions of drones that are out there? Maybe even raid hobby stores for all the parts to make them?
I think not.
It is already against the law to fly that close to airports. Just like its against the law to shoot someone. There has always been idiots, there will always be idiots.
Every time some new tech comes out the idiots find new ways to amaze me.
The tide pods thing still baffles me.

Agree with all you say, but we are not the NRA. Hammer will have no resistance if they try to drop it on us, due to one idiot.
Does anyone recognize the data at the top of the display? And where did they get the video?? What an idiot.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev