DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas Airport - Drone Flying Over Plane

Make it land quickly maybe, but unless its a flock of drones, not a chance of a crash.
Actually, loss of one engine could cause a crash of an airliner. You are right in your belief that an airplane can fly and land with one engine. But you are not taking into account the skills of the pilot. I spent the last five years as a flight instructor for a major aerospace company. Believe me when I say, NOT ALL PILOTS ARE CREATED EQUAL. There have been a number of fatal accidents in airplanes which could have been flown and landed.
And yes, all pilots have to pass a check ride. But the bell curve of acceptable skills varies much more than I previously thought from one country to another. And just like med school, or high school, someone was the bottom graduate in their class. I have probably already said more than I should.

Until there is a body count, or at least one or two disfigurements caused by a drone, this is just another "Deflate Gate"
Keep in mind, we are talking about drones mostly weighing less than a pound.
If you had to make a choice about which to hit you at 30 miles an hour, would you pick a Mavic pro or this;View attachment 30342 View attachment 30342 View attachment 30343

The thing is, if you are in an airplane between 150 and 300mph, you probably won't hit a vase. It isn't the drone's speed, it is the airplane's speed.

That plane is moving at least 150mph, maybe as much as 200mph. The drone seems to be moving much faster than the plane. I'm not buying it.
You do see the airplane approaching the drone, then flying past it, right?

True...but an FPV drone would be up that high flying around leisurely
If he was trying to get a pic of an airplane, yes. It seems obviously planned to me. Anyone flying there would know this is the approach path for LAS. He was laying in wait.

Indeed they do create a massive wake. With that being said, it does take some time for the wake to actually reach the drone. You could easily fly away from the wake.

It would not be at all easy for the drone to avoid, unless there was a big crosswind helping him. In this video, I am fairly sure it was the vortex that took him down at the end. For one thing, why would someone this idiotic not just hang to get more footage? Vortices are one of the reasons we have minimum separation distances between aircraft for take-off and landing. After a "Heavy" takes off, even another airliner will not be cleared to takeoff for two minutes due the the threat presented by wingtip vortices. A "well tuned drone" would experience a total loss of control in the vortices of an A380.. I had my hands full in a B737 behind a 757 one day! Unless you have been trained in regard to wingtip vortices, you have no idea. They basically become horizontal tornadoes.

I wish once and for evermore folks on this website would stop speculating on what any level of FOD ingestion would do to an engine, nor what would happen if ingested at a critical time, such as takeoff or landing, which is almost certainly when it would happen.
Of course engines are certified to remain intact during certain FOD events, and part of the training covers such events, but there are too many variables to speak to the issue with certainty.
That is not to say it would be handled perfectly, and I certainly wouldn't want to try it.
Nor does that cover any of the other possibilities of impacting one of those things.
I am well aware of one 777 that had an engine oil situation at cruise, during a low workload time, and within 15 seconds, the engine completely seized, nearly tearing itself off the wing.
Stuff happens.
Just stay the **** away from airplanes and airports.
But please, cease this nonsense of stating what would happen, because nobody has any idea.

Yes. And why are we even discussing if an aircraft could be brought down?? It's almost as if people are saying "It's no big deal, people probably won't die. A guy on the Mavic board said nothing bad would happen."
This entire area of discussion amazes me. Especially from people who haven't ever been in anything but the passenger cabin of an airliner.

Just like after a few people got shot with guns, no one can have guns now?
It wont be a disaster I can assure you.
if a drone hits a passenger plane, It will be big news. It isnt going to bring the plane crashing down.
It is very stupid what this person did. But a cool video.

But I still say it was filmed with an RC plane and not a drone. The footage looks just like some I have seen from a foam sonicmodel a friend had. Even the roll at the end.
I couldn't disagree more. There is NOTHING cool about this video!

Oh and I bet those EVIL DJI NFZs look pretty good right about now, huh?

Just to be clear, unless DJI starts making racing drones, their NFZs wouldn't have affected this flight in the least. DJI's NFZs were designed to prevent accidental idiots from causing problems, not intentional idiots, like this person.

What ever. Geese will crash more planes than drones will this year, I'll make that prediction right now.
look at it this way.......you have a car, you need a licence to drive it, you have to pass a test to get the licence, then you have to buy insurance, then you have to have you car inspected once every year. Then you are monitored and ticketed and fined possibly jailed for breaking the law while driving your car.
If you do not see this scenario changing by just one word DRONE for CAR you are truly missing the point.
BTW the term DRONE actually applies to rotary and fixed wind aircraft.
Eeven if this is a hoax it will send waves into the greater drone community that will never go away.
As far as geese bringing down more aircraft than a drone possibly you might share that fact with the families of loved ones lost in a drone / aircraft incident .
no disrespect but I just can't see your point of view

Those drones should be illegal.
They are the assault rifles of the model aircraft society.
Have you ever seen the people that fly them? The Bam Marjera skate boarders of the hobby.
:D :D :D
Too bad. Any drone can do that, it just needs the software to allow and handle it. Hell, you could reprogram a Mavic to do that, but it would destroy the gimbal. Also most of these drones are built by the operators. I just recently built one myself, but I'm still working to master it.

It would not be at all easy for the drone to avoid, unless there was a big crosswind helping him. In this video, I am fairly sure it was the vortex that took him down at the end. For one thing, why would someone this idiotic not just hang to get more footage? Vortices are one of the reasons we have minimum separation distances between aircraft for take-off and landing. After a "Heavy" takes off, even another airliner will not be cleared to takeoff for two minutes due the the threat presented by wingtip vortices. A "well tuned drone" would experience a total loss of control in the vortices of an A380.. I had my hands full in a B737 behind a 757 one day! Unless you have been trained in regard to wingtip vortices, you have no idea. They basically become horizontal tornadoes.
Racing drones can fly as fast as 100 mph. It can easily move away from the wake, since wakes don't spread as fast. Also, I get your argument of waiting before another airliner takes off, especially if it's a smaller plane, but they are flying into the wake. Also wakes spread out downwards, the drone was above it. Ever seen the wake of an A380? They're monstrous.

I think it's fake, but all the same it puts drones it a bad light to the people and there's to many already who
don't like them. Mostly because lack of knowledge of them and this just make it worst. If they catch the person
i hope they make them pay for being so stupid.

Reactions: Afremont
I agree. Nothing good comes from this video. Drone flying becomes more restricted as government remembers this stuff when they want an easy "save the public" press conference.

It's unlikely, but possible, that a mavic size drone could bring down a large fast moving aircraft. What is certain that a strike will cause hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage as the fuselage or engines must be repaired. This takes the aircraft off line for weeks or months as it's fixed, tested and then brought back into operations. Of course insurance will cover most of that but guess who pays for the insurance? The passengers and the stock/shareholders.

I suppose idiots like the guy who uploaded this video are probably the same people who drive down the highway at 100miles an hour with their headlights off at night because it's cool and screw the consequences.

Yes. And why are we even discussing if an aircraft could be brought down?? It's almost as if people are saying "It's no big deal, people probably won't die. A guy on the Mavic board said nothing bad would happen."
This entire area of discussion amazes me. Especially from people who haven't ever been in anything but the passenger cabin of an airliner.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki