DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas Airport - Drone Flying Over Plane

I think it's fake, but all the same it puts drones it a bad light to the people and there's to many already who
don't like them. Mostly because lack of knowledge of them and this just make it worst. If they catch the person
i hope they make them pay for being so stupid.
Just curious as to why you think it is fake. You might be right. What convinces you?

Just curious as to why you think it is fake. You might be right. What convinces you?
I think the video is too perfect for one "take".

Definitely, unless he got very lucky. I would guess that it took numerous attempts to get that video.
So you think he made more attempts, and finally got what he wanted? Or he somehow faked the video completely?

Just to be clear, unless DJI starts making racing drones, their NFZs wouldn't have affected this flight in the least. DJI's NFZs were designed to prevent accidental idiots from causing problems, not intentional idiots, like this person.

Oh I know, my point is that if every company instituted NFZs it would curtail this behavior somewhat. It won't hurt.

Last edited:
look at it this way.......you have a car, you need a licence to drive it, you have to pass a test to get the licence, then you have to buy insurance, then you have to have you car inspected once every year. Then you are monitored and ticketed and fined possibly jailed for breaking the law while driving your car.
If you do not see this scenario changing by just one word DRONE for CAR you are truly missing the point.
BTW the term DRONE actually applies to rotary and fixed wind aircraft.
Eeven if this is a hoax it will send waves into the greater drone community that will never go away.
As far as geese bringing down more aircraft than a drone possibly you might share that fact with the families of loved ones lost in a drone / aircraft incident .
no disrespect but I just can't see your point of view

It's usually is in response to people claiming that a small racing drone is going to crash a 747...

And now what brilliant people can do with drones. Did you catch the drones used in the Olympic Games Opening? Very Cool!!

Finally someone does something drone positive.

The video appears to be real, but likely took a number of practice runs to get it timed properly.
Agreed. I thought you meant the video wasn't real. The idiot who did this probably did do it more than once.

And now what brilliant people can do with drones. Did you catch the drones used in the Olympic Games Opening? Very Cool!!

Finally someone does something drone positive.
I wanted to cry when I saw that. Drones representing doves. What was it, over 1200 lit drones coordinating with each other?

Yea clearly some of you are way more emotionally invested in this hobby than I am. ..
You would cry too if you saw it. The drone swarm went into formation to create several 3D images and wrapped it up by forming into the Olympic logo.

You would cry too if you saw it. The drone swarm went into formation to create several 3D images and wrapped it up by forming into the Olympic logo.

I've seen several drone swarms and I've actually never cried. .. However, I'm sure that it looked really cool. I'll go Google it right now and keep some tissue on stand by just in case.

Those drones performing at the Olympic ceremony were awesome. It looked so good I thought it was fake.

Agree with all you say, but we are not the NRA. Hammer will have no resistance if they try to drop it on us, due to one idiot.
Does anyone recognize the data at the top of the display? And where did they get the video?? What an idiot.

Your right were not the NRA, but if enough got together we could be something that fought for rights of drone usage #NFUAP

OMG I cried like a baby... Not! It was cool for sure but I've seen other swarms. I think they did an excellent job. Too bad they couldn't do it live.

Agreed. I thought you meant the video wasn't real. The idiot who did this probably did do it more than once.
There are lots of ways to set yourself up to do something stupid like this -- FlightRadar24 is a great resource for watching traffic movement, and it is close to real-time.

I've been to the spot that he launched from -- it's an ok spot for plane watching, though LAS has a great spot set-up for those purposes where you can sit in your car, listen to supplied ATC on your car radio, and watch arrivals and departures on 25L/R, often stacked up six deep incoming with minimum separation.

Undoubtedly, this guy tried it many times before since there is so much traffic here with it being Southwest Airline's home and hub.

Are you aware of the Drone that was in an accident with a Blackhawk Helicopter? The Operator was more than two miles from the P4. Parts of the Drone were recovered from the Blackhawk. The Drone Pilot has been identified. There was also a verified collision with a Canadian Commercial Airplane. He was flying the P4 despite TFR being in place and was interviewed by DJI, FAA, and NTSB after the mid-air collision.

Drone far beyond sight during Black Hawk collision - AOPA

Last edited:
Are you aware of the Drone that was in an accident with a Blackhawk Helicopter? The Operator was more than two miles from the P4. Parts of the Drone were recovered from the Blackhawk. The Drone Pilot has been identified. There was also a verified collision with a Canadian Commercial Airplane. He was flying the P4 despite TFR being in place and was interviewed by DJI, FAA, and NTSB after the mid-air collision.

Drone far beyond sight during Black Hawk collision - AOPA
These are all covered in other threads.

I fly out of McCarran airport in Las Vegas and know the area where the video is taken, it’s 4 miles east and right inline with the runway 26L and 26R final approach. What an idiot!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki