DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas Airport - Drone Flying Over Plane

That plane is moving at least 150mph, maybe as much as 200mph. The drone seems to be moving much faster than the plane. I'm not buying it.

That’s what I noticed too. The plane would be doing 200 mph at least, and you note how slowly the plane moves away from the drone in the closing frames.

Looks fishy.

The analogy to guns is unfortunately not going to fly. There is no constitutional stipulation protecting your right to fly drones (even with bare arms!). And I doubt we'll see an activist group for drones that has the persistence and clout of the NRA.

If there's a public outcry regarding safety (read: a plane crashes, a terrorist attack using a drone occurs), life will be a lot tougher for all of us. We will end up granted very small areas in which to fly...virtual bird cages, license exams, extended regulations and deep restrictions.

The drone will go that fast but they are 20 to 60 feet up and are using the wind behind them in a dive to get that speed
for only seconds and there range is only 100 years or so.

that was no drone. What drone flips like that? clearly a fixed wing plane of some sort by the maneuvers it made.

It actually dove into a loop as the plane went under it from what it looks like
I would have agree with you about the fixed wing idea, the video reveled alot.
I understand about FPV drones but even still the flight was very controlled and precise.
Not to mention why didn't the jet's wake interfere with the drone (alledgedly) after being behind the jet and then falls back nose down and performs two barrel rolls as shown in the video?

Most FPV drone video is a lot more jerky
They snap turn and throttle response is immediate. (Look at the FPV drone videos in this thread). As I said, looks exactly like video from a fixed wing aircraft a friend used to have. But it has been decided it’s a drone, the internet has even found someone to blame for it. We will see what happens.

That’s what I noticed too. The plane would be doing 200 mph at least, and you note how slowly the plane moves away from the drone in the closing frames.

Looks fishy.
Not really. Gear are down. 3 Miles out, normally about 140 and -10 to -15 kts for normal wind. Go sit off the end of a runways approach end and you will see speed is similar to view in this video. Or just watch one of the on line videos from people who sit right off the end of the runway in Caribbean. Very normal speed.

Why is this even still being discussed? It's already been shown that it is footage from a video game. It's fake. It's not real. It never happened.

Mark

Why is this even still being discussed? It's already been shown that it is footage from a video game. It's fake. It's not real. It never happened.

Mark
Can you link to the source of your information? I'm trying to find anything that agrees with your claim, but the media got too excited about this - so there are "OMG" stories everywhere. Thanks.

Can you link to the source of your information? I'm trying to find anything that agrees with your claim, but the media got too excited about this - so there are "OMG" stories everywhere. Thanks.

Left side is a still frame from the controversial video. Right side is Google satellite view. Click image for larger version.

Where did all of the swimming pools go in the faked video? Look at the long vertical row of homes to the left of the airliner's nose. The fence line at the rear of those homes is right up against the rear of the homes and all swimming pools have vanished. Where are the cars in the parking lot? Where is the detail that modern drones are capable of? A still grab of my iPad mini's screen is far more detailed than that.

I forget the name of the video game. The game maker added a "drone" feature to the game fairly recently. The game maker doesn't put brand names on objects but someone in another thread linked an add-on that's downloadable for the game to put a name on airliners seen in the game. And, surprise, the only available airliner name via that add-on is Frontier.

It is fake. I suspected it was fake the moment I saw it.

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Dw911
The video game used to create the fake video is Grand Theft Auto 5. Its drone-view feature caused a lot of excitement in 2017. Sample video:

There's are hundreds of user-created add-ons for the game. Lots of aircraft add-ons are available, not just Frontier (so I was wrong about that part). The add-ons for aircraft are here:

GTA 5 Aircraft - Mods and Downloads - GTAinside.com

The Frontier one is there somewhere (someone linked it on Facebook or a different forum thread) but I don't have the time to find it right now.

Mark

Reactions: Qoncussion
Make it land quickly maybe, but unless its a flock of drones, not a chance of a crash.

Birds get sucked through engines a lot. This happens while take off or landing and in approach to land. Plane engine spits it out the other end shredded. This is why airports use birds of prey to deter birds from the airports.

A large flock of birds will take a plane down. But not a single bird. Extremely unlikely.

Birds get sucked through engines a lot. This happens while take off or landing and in approach to land. Plane engine spits it out the other end shredded. This is why airports use birds of prey to deter birds from the airports.

I've been in the industry for over 30 years, including certifying other captains and FO's on international routes, and I didn't know that.
That's either because I'm unaware, or it's not true.

Reactions: MaverickVB
Birds fly into airplanes every day, according to this article:

It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's a Crash!

Quoting from the article:

Veteran pilot William Givens of Roanoke, Texas, said he usually never even knew he hit birds until he saw the damage when he landed. Givens, who flew planes for the Air Force in Vietnam and later for Delta, said the threat bird strikes were part of life as a pilot. But it's a silent danger. "You don't notice," he told ABCNews.com. "You just see the damage after the flight."

Mark

Veteran pilot William Givens of Roanoke, Texas, said he usually never even knew he hit birds until he saw the damage when he landed. Givens, who flew planes for the Air Force in Vietnam and later for Delta, said the threat bird strikes were part of life as a pilot. But it's a silent danger. "You don't notice," he told ABCNews.com. "You just see the damage after the flight."

Mark

Nonsense.
I'm sure Mr. Givens is a nice, honest man, but the airline industry records all of this, and all are inspected closely.
You almost always see a bird that ends in a strike, and you always see those that are so good at avoiding airplanes, which they almost all are.

I've been in the industry for over 30 years, including certifying other captains and FO's on international routes, and I didn't know that.
That's either because I'm unaware, or it's not true.

Mark

The teacher becomes the student......
30 years and never heard of this? I have NEVER been in the industry, but I have talked to many who are, and they say bird strikes are fairly common. Guess they were not trained properly, or they are stupid.

The teacher becomes the student......
30 years and never heard of this? I have NEVER been in the industry, but I have talked to many who are, and they say bird strikes are fairly common. Guess they were not trained properly, or they are stupid.

I'm not the type of guy who gets into a match with people on the internet.
You state that I've "never heard of this."
That is grossly false, and not something I've ever said.

"Fairly common" is a phrase that requires quantification.
Bird strikes occur, and are reported.
They are not all that common, because for the countless times I've commented on this, birds are really good at being avoided.
Really good.
The last sentence of your post is a cheap attempt to suggest something I have never said.

Airlines keep records of this stuff, because dead birds leave marks.
I am well aware of the records of the largest airline in the US.
I stand, as always, with what I have said.

I will not waste my time defending what I never said.

Reactions: Lopez0015
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ