DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas PD boasts about busting drone flyer ...

Apparently there were a ton of drone flying in and around the area. Nothing complex about catching this guy, looks pretty each especially when he apparently didn't know he wasn't supposed to be flying or he didn't reality the gravity of being caught:

Reactions: Donald Hill
Good video.

I think a lot of people don't research rules on what's permitted. They just learn to fly the thing and figure they can just take off and fly.

Certainly the packaging and documentation doesn't necessarily refer them to rules do they? Maybe DJI includes something about needing to register with the FAA and have some links to some rules.

Or are they suppose to pay attention to what the DJI apps tell them when they're in certain areas?

Not knowing the rules is no excuse but it's hard to see it as a $15,000 fine either. He probably went strictly by the DJI fly app which simply isn't enough (but it isn't on DJI) and he probably doesn't have a TRUST. So many people fly drones on the strip. Since no one was hurt, if it were me (and I don't know the whole story) and if this was his first offense, I would fine him $1,000 (FAA) and confiscate the drone (LVMPD) and prohibit him from drone flying for 1 year (FAA).

Reactions: Capt KO
Not knowing the rules is no excuse but it's hard to see it as a $15,000 fine either. He probably went strictly by the DJI fly app which simply isn't enough (but it isn't on DJI) and he probably doesn't have a TRUST. So many people fly drones on the strip. Since no one was hurt, if it were me (and I don't know the whole story) and if this was his first offense, I would fine him $1,000 (FAA) and confiscate the drone (LVMPD) and prohibit him from drone flying for 1 year (FAA).
I can't bear to watch 13+ minutes of Youtube chatter about the incident. Was there actually a $15,000 fine? Or is it another of those situations where the maximum fine is mentioned to make the story more exciting and no fine has actually be set? Who levied the fine? Las Vegas, FAA, other?

I can't bear to watch 13+ minutes of Youtube chatter about the incident. Was there actually a $15,000 fine? Or is it another of those situations where the maximum fine is mentioned to make the story more exciting and no fine has actually be set? Who levied the fine? Las Vegas, FAA, other?
It just happened so no adjudication just yet. Whenever these stories come out, it sounds like $15,000 is always expressed as the maximum fine. Makes it seem like you get in big, big trouble if fly a drone illegally. This particular story is interesting because it appears the flyer was caught on security camera and the police were dispatched right away to catch him close to being in the act if not in the act, and there were many public courtesy warnings telling people not to fly during F1...so they made it well known.

Sean is a good guy from the UK, well-knowledgeable about drone laws even in the US, and he's a patriot to the drone community and his program focuses mostly on the techniques employed by LE so not sensation at all. He talked about RID and Aeroscope as well. I have no idea what the LV police had to say about the incident, seems to me it's all FAA because there were obviously several violations; an event might be much different. Unfortunately we never really get to hear the final resolution on these and if we do, it's usually some form of a plea which won't give you a good idea about enforcement, etc.

It just happened so no adjudication just yet. Whenever these stories come out, it sounds like $15,000 is always expressed as the maximum fine. Makes it seem like you get in big, big trouble if fly a drone illegally. This particular story is interesting because it appears the flyer was caught on security camera and the police were dispatched right away to catch him close to being in the act if not in the act, and there were many public courtesy warnings telling people not to fly during F1...so they made it well known.

Sean is a good guy from the UK, well-knowledgeable about drone laws even in the US, and he's a patriot to the drone community and his program focuses mostly on the techniques employed by LE so not sensation at all. He talked about RID and Aeroscope as well. I have no idea what the LV police had to say about the incident, seems to me it's all FAA because there were obviously several violations; an event might be much different. Unfortunately we never really get to hear the final resolution on these and if we do, it's usually some form of a plea which won't give you a good idea about enforcement, etc.

So, at this point, the big "$15K FINES!" on the title frame of the video is likely unrealistic and shouldn't be taken as real and objected to. Has anyone ever heard of a fine that large against for a first offence with no injury to people or property? No.

So, at this point, the big "$15K FINES!" on the title frame of the video is likely unrealistic and shouldn't be taken as real and objected to. Has anyone ever heard of a fine that large against for a first offence with no injury to people or property? No.
Agreed, so why is it in the law in the first place? Is it designed to scare you or make an example out of those who don't cooperate or coerce you to take a deal to avoid the maximum fine? Sounds like you agree with me that $15,000 even as a possibility is excessive for a minor first time violation.

I think the Cincinatti guy who flew an Air of some sort into an American football stadium during a game was sentenced recently and the sentenced might have be $1000 fine, y hours/days of community service and confiscation of the drone.

A couple of UK incidents, Manx TT course/week & 'close approach' to a Hawker Hurricane at an air show, ended up with £x,000 (x = single digit ) fine and loss of the drone.

Agreed, so why is it in the law in the first place? Is it designed to scare you or make an example out of those who don't cooperate or coerce you to take a deal to avoid the maximum fine? Sounds like you agree with me that $15,000 even as a possibility is excessive for a minor first time violation.
Maximum fines are part of the law to give the judge discretion in setting a fine according of the facts of the case and to set a maximum fine for the infraction.

Unfortunately, it's common for Youtube sensationalists and others to quote the maximum fine as it it had been imposed, before the case even goes to court.

Hi everyone. First off I am a Section 107 Pilot and Las Vegas is my home. With over 2 years of flying legally and over a 1,000 + hours of flight time there are a few things about Las Vegas airspace you need to know.... first off the area this guy was flying in is not legal to fly. East or west of The Strip is legal if you get LAANC approval. I fly down there all the time. Second, I was approved to fly the night of the first trial race on 11/16 east of The Strip. I did not fly that night because it was too crowded and horrible to access that location. I did fly the MSG Sphere and F1 grandstands last week and had zero issues with anyone down there. Here's a link to that video:

Also, if you want to fly down there (East of the strip) you need to send an email to LVMPD's Fusion Watch (Terrorism Division) here: [email protected]. I usually send them my LAANC approval and tell them where I will be flying. Since I've done this, I have had ZERO issues. Also, for some weird reason my LAANC approvals are completed in less than 2 days now since I do this with them before I fly. There are a lot of places in Las Vegas that you cannot fly. If you fly and mess around they will find you. As for the fines, it must be a state of Nevada fine, not an FAA fine unless they turn over a report to the FAA. LVMPD does not have the authority to fine someone with a federal fine or issues a federal summons.

The strip is a no fly zone PERIOD. I see plenty of videos that people fly down there and they are breaking the law. LVMPD will track you down and cite you. The entire area down there has a tracking system that they use and also sends them info on an app to the police officers in the area. Several of their police officers are Section 107 certified however a lot of the officers I have come into contact with have no clue about the laws and I have educated them about that. I am a retired police officer out of CA and talk to them all the time since I have issues with people calling them when I fly. Hope this helps with info on this topic.

Maximum fines are part of the law to give the judge discretion in setting a fine according of the facts of the case and to set a maximum fine for the infraction.

Unfortunately, it's common for Youtube sensationalists and others to quote the maximum fine as it it had been imposed, before the case even goes to court.
If a judge has the discretion to fine someone $15,000 for an infraction then it is accurate to say the offender faces a maximum fine of $15,000. That's not sensationalism, that's the facts. The police say it, the FAA says, all the reports say it so why should YT replace it with someone other number like $1,000? For the same reason why the "authorities" don't do it. For example:

"The Federal Aviation Administration has implemented a temporary “no drone zone” over the track area and those trying to fly drones, perhaps to get an overhead view of the event, face a $30,000 fine and possible criminal prosecution, [Undersheriff] Walsh said."

Source: An ‘epic event’: Security, safety plans for F1 remain in high gear

I understand the role of the maximum fine to allow for discretion. However, I believe it is being abused here. A traffic ticket for speeding doesn't range from $45 to $45,000 depending on the severity of the infraction, the facts of the case, and the discretion of the judge. But it would be effective if motorists believed they could be capable of being fined as much even though it "never happens." They closed off roads for F1, did they warn motorists that bypassing barricades could lead to heavy traffic fines up to $50,000 depending on what happens? Doing so could interfere with track operations, assault police, hurt workers or spectators, trigger a homeland security alert....land you in jail. If you fly a drone over the track, it could lead to a loss of recreational exemption which means dozens of part 107 violations which is where they come up with fines adding up to $15k/$30k. Almost entirely the reason why fines end up being less than $1,000 is by plea or discretion.

Because it's the truth and not sensation, I agree that drone violations should continue to be accurately pointed out that fines can reach $30k to support the goal which is to make an example of the offenders and publicly deter others from doing the same and not to set an honest, rational fee schedule for infractions. If you say it will cost you $300 in fines to fly your drone over F1, people will do it and risk paying the fine. Just like people risk going 11 mph over the speed limit because they know the fine is set; they know what they are gambling with. Imagine if speeding past the posted limit means your driver's license becomes invalid (because you broke one of the many traffic laws) and therefore by speeding, you could also be charged with driving without a valid license and a host of other violations such as unsafe operation of a motor vehicle (because you have no license), failure to identify (because you have no license), improper registration, etc. totaling $5,000 in fines. Would that be fair?

No fine has been levied yet in that case. The fine can't be excessive if the fine hasn't been set.
Understood but I find it to be very abusive when a suspect can be "arrested" and ultimately the charges filed against him/her amounts to penalties that are not commiserate to the crime. To me, that adversely impacts your ability to defend yourself when you could be facing fees that are clearly excessive or potential jail. Perhaps there should be provisions for punitive actions or for egregious cases but I'm almost positive they told that guy he could be going to jail for what he did on the strip. How often do we hear the cries from others in the drone community to lock up fellow drone offenders even if their actions didn't have nefarious intent? In many states, we actually had to decriminalize the traffic violations for this very reason. Let's do the same for drone laws by setting reasonable and realistic sanctions.

Reactions: landmark orbiter
No, they don't. At least not without consequences.
Agreed, many people fly their drones on the strip, in and around the area, but some may end up facing the consequences for doing so. Hopefully you didn't substitute "So many people fly drones on the strip." with "So many people fly drones on the strip and it's perfectly ok and it's perfectly legal" because that would be silly and untrue. See post #11 for a comment on flying drones on the strip.

There are tons of YT videos to prove it and I have heard about and seen a whole lot of drones flying in and around the area.

Reactions: bitsbytes
Understood but I find it to be very abusive when a suspect can be "arrested" and ultimately the charges filed against him/her amounts to penalties that are not commiserate to the crime. To me, that adversely impacts your ability to defend yourself when you could be facing fees that are clearly excessive or potential jail. Perhaps there should be provisions for punitive actions or for egregious cases but I'm almost positive they told that guy he could be going to jail for what he did on the strip. How often do we hear the cries from others in the drone community to lock up fellow drone offenders even if their actions didn't have nefarious intent? In many states, we actually had to decriminalize the traffic violations for this very reason. Let's do the same for drone laws by setting reasonable and realistic sanctions.
Has any government anywhere ever done anything that you approve of?

It's a beautiful day and I'm going to go fly a drone.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07 and Torque
Yes, there was a foreigner in NY city a few years back got hit with huge fines. Such things need to happen in my opinion, it helps to stop idiots from continuing to do such stupid things, which in the end, affects us all with more and more regs, in place preventing what could have been flown, without such stupid behavior spoiling it for the rest of us.

Everyone of these pilots should face hefty fines.

Reactions: GFields
Yes, there was a foreigner in NY city a few years back got hit with huge fines. Such things need to happen in my opinion, it helps to stop idiots from continuing to do such stupid things, which in the end, affects us all with more and more regs, in place preventing what could have been flown, without such stupid behavior spoiling it for the rest of us.
We have a weak voice and will continue to have our ability to fly quashed further and further…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom