DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Latest Supreme Court ruling and POSSIBLE answer to DJI restrictions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit there were moments during reading all the comments of this post I may have dozed off ( but only for a second!) Not being from the States I find it so interesting this mentality of "its my inalienable right" to do do what ever it may be, Own a gun that can kill a dozen people in a dozen trigger pulls ( I'm sure they didn't think of that scenario when the 2nd amendment was drafted) to how dare DJI restrict what I can do with MY drone I should be able to do what I like fly where I like, how I like, when I like, if the mood strikes me, who cares if someone then flies into a passenger jet or worse case a nut job or terrorist ( probably no distinction between these two ) can strap an explosive on one and fly it into a jet on landing etc thats terribly bad luck/sad/tragic/etc etc but my rights have not been encroached on! that is the important thing always! who cares about safety and keeping the 1 percenters restricted and yes I know the many get restricted because of the few, but lets face it there will always be the occasional **** the world type of guy out there that doesn't care for safety or rules so in some small way to defend against that I think some inbuilt restrictions are not a bad idea in the long run. anyway thats the way I look at it and I'm sure there are many out there that will definitely disagree with me haha. happy flying everyone

So you would support the vehicle you drive having speed restricted to say the max speed limit right ? Why not install breathalizers in 100% of the vehicles on the roads then !

Any one else remember when Steve jobs tried to make it illegal for people to jailbreak their iphones? (I pity the dead fool)
I remember, and we all know how that turned out (typing this from my jailbroken iPhone).

DJI please keep trying to restrict our drones! We've already seen the first "responses".

So if you buy a truck and suddenly 6 months later the manufacturer updates it and all of a sudden it cannot go above 50 and does not start if you drive into another state then people will just accept that? Of course not. So why can DJI suddenly put all of these restrictions on a product I have already purchased? Maybe there is a case to put the restrictions on newly purchased products but making such changes to products after purchase that changes the performance, ability to start and adding a requirement to be connected to the internet is disgusting in my eyes.

I love my Mavic but I cannot understand how a manufacturer is allowed to do this? I know for sure if Toyota had done such changes listed above that those owners would be going crazy yes?

Last edited:
Reactions: Slayerstwin
So if you buy a truck and suddenly 6 months later the manufacturer updates it and all of a sudden it cannot go above 50 and does not start if you drive into another state then people will just accept that? Of course not. So why can DJI suddenly put all of these restrictions on a product I have already purchased? Maybe there is a case to put the restrictions on newly purchased products but making such changes to products after purchase that changes the performance, ability to start and adding a requirement to be connected to the internet is disgusting in my eyes.

I love my Mavic but I cannot understand how a manufacturer is allowed to do this? I know for sure if Toyota had done such changes listed above that those owners would be going crazy yes?
Probably because it's pretty easy to catch a 2 ton car breaking the law. Drones are much more difficult to control retro actively, so a proactive approach is utilized. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, and there could be a better explanation.

Because even if you use a drone "professionally" for a job, in the eyes of the VAST majority of the public a drone is still just a dirty tool for sex offenders, designed to invade our privacy and drop bombs (or worse) on unsuspecting victims at sporting events... And while not everyone is that extreme, even the less dramatic view that drones are just a dangerous spy toy for nerds doesn't help our position much.

If you think I'm being dramatic, head to a local mall and do an informal survey of 100 strangers. Then get ready to take some anti-depressants. Drones are the modern day equivalent of a trench coat and binoculars.

The restrictions DJI is putting on drones are 1000% not the same as any analogy we come up with. Even GUNS have less of a public stigma. So the vast majority of the public supports what DJI is doing, as does the FAA, as do news outlets. DJI looks like the good guy, trying to "pro-actively" stop the industry they essentially mainstreamed. Don't like it? There's a really easy solution: SELL YOUR DJI EQUIPMENT.

A few will, but most won't, and DJI is well aware of this. They're tough to sell... I agree! The potential positive PR for the restrictions far outweighs the few people who will sell out of anger, and they can simply paint those people as voyeurs who wanted to spy on their neighbors daughter anyway (but were valiantly stopped by the smart software updates they implemented). It's worth being upset over, but that's about the end of it. Life isn't fair, this isn't fair, but until you can change the public perception of drones (good luck) it's only going to get worse.

So..... Remote ID?
Your aware this is a 3 y/o thread and there are multiple threads on the upcoming RID requirement... still 2 years for existing drones before compliance required by FAA. Gonna lock this thread now...

• Haha
Reactions: KD8ICQ
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929