DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Likelihood of waypoints being enabled when Air 2S SDK is released?

CanadaChris

Reactions
Like others, I’m eagerly waiting for the Air 2S SDK release, and hoping that I can eventually use Litchi to enable waypoint-based flights with regular video (instead of only Hyperlapse mode). I’d like to know your thoughts on the likelihood that such capability will be available once the SDK is released, considering that such capability is a value-add for the more premium models.

Like others, I’m eagerly waiting for the Air 2S SDK release, and hoping that I can eventually use Litchi to enable waypoint-based flights with regular video (instead of only Hyperlapse mode). I’d like to know your thoughts on the likelihood that such capability will be available once the SDK is released, considering that such capability is a value-add for the more premium models.
Yea it’s virtually assured that waypoints will be possible with Litchi when the SDK comes out. If it can be done on the Mini 1 it can be done with any DJI drone. It may use virtual joystick functionality to do this if the MA2s doesn’t have a native waypoint function but it has been shown this doesn’t make a practical difference.

Yea it’s virtually assured that waypoints will be possible with Litchi when the SDK comes out. If it can be done on the Mini 1 it can be done with any DJI drone. It may use virtual joystick functionality to do this if the MA2s doesn’t have a native waypoint function but it has been shown this doesn’t make a practical difference.
Thanks! Can you point me to a video or screenshots of what the virtual joystick method looks like? I don't have Litchi yet, since the Air 2S is the first drone I've owned and won't buy it until it's supported.

I used virtual sticks with the ma2 for a while ...litchi. maven and dronelink..none produce good enough smooth results.most.people are of the same opinion...I tried everything and gave up ....proper waypoints are needed for smooth turns
This has been discussed so many times. Its a shame but dji stated in an email to me last year that only enterprise models will get this feature ..crap I know ...

So help me understand, please: you assign waypoints on a map, but then have to manually pilot the drone to each using virtual joysticks, without automatically doing so?

If that’s the case, then I say why they hell would they bother?

So help me understand, please: you assign waypoints on a map, but then have to manually pilot the drone to each using virtual joysticks, without automatically doing so?

If that’s the case, then I say why they hell would they bother?
No. Virtual joysticks just means that the waypoint mission stays on your flying device (phone, tablet, etc), it doesn’t get uploaded to the drone. You don’t have to manually pilot the drone to each waypoint beforehand, BUT you do have to keep the drone within controller signal range otherwise the mission will end and will do the RTH action you have set up prior to the mission.

Hope this helps.

Chris

No. Virtual joysticks just means that the waypoint mission stays on your flying device (phone, tablet, etc), it doesn’t get uploaded to the drone. You don’t have to manually pilot the drone to each waypoint beforehand, BUT you do have to keep the drone within controller signal range otherwise the mission will end and will do the RTH action you have set up prior to the mission.

Hope this helps.

Chris
It absolutely does help, thanks a million. That doesn’t sound too bad—I get a bit anxious when the drone nudges out of signal range anyway. Gotta be able to retrieve it if my Best Buy protection plan is to be honoured!

I am waiting someone to upload a virtual stick mission with lots of turns and orbits that are buttery smooth ,i've not seen one ,i was involved last year trying to make virtual sticks work on the Ma2 with more than one software .....no joy at all.
i tried all different devices from phones to tablets all with the same horrible jerky results,i guess it depends how fussy you are and what its need for ,not just my findings it seemed very universal and its the nature of virtual sticks im afraid.

There are always going to be trade-offs with any approach. For example, in the non-virtual sticks version of Litchi where the mission is uploaded to the AC on launch, if the AC goes out of signal range of the controller the mission will continue (if programmed that way) but gimbal position will be stuck at the last position before loss of signal and any other pre-programmed gimbal commands will be ignored.

Chris

Reactions: AZDave
I used virtual sticks with the ma2 for a while ...litchi. maven and dronelink..none produce good enough smooth results.most.people are of the same opinion...I tried everything and gave up ....proper waypoints are needed for smooth turns
This has been discussed so many times. Its a shame but dji stated in an email to me last year that only enterprise models will get this feature ..crap I know ...
You completly right :)
If anyone claims smooth virtualstick I want to see proof. It's a limitation in firmware that makes the gimbal jerky. As you know it can be fixed with setting gimbal in free mode, but the sdk doesn't support that.

I havnt been able to check if mavic 2s supports WP in firmware. Air 2 does not.
As soon as I get my hands on a mavic3 I will check if it supports waypoint. I have a regression test that I can run to check whats supported or not.

If anyone claims smooth virtualstick I want to see proof.
Take a look at this:

It‘s taken from a Mini which is probably the least likely to be smooth. Unless I’m just being too tolerant, it looks pretty smooth to me.

Also, this one (also from the Mini) which was prior to the update designed to improve the smoothness:

Last edited:
i've tried them all and tweaked all the settings until i'm blue in the face its not smooth end of .even dronelink admit it never will be on virtual sticks .....try an orbit you will see what i mean ,i will try and find a link from one of my old youtube videos ,i can fly 10 times smoother manually...and yes i tried mavern..listen to surfbird he is spot on . shame but that's what we have.

All I know is what I tried on every software I could find .try it for yourself see how smooth an orbit is ....I got so p-i-s-ed off with it all I gave up ...have a look on dronelink forum and also on dji .com there are plenty on there with videos .I've just.looked and I binned all mine .I spent money on all of the software and got nowhere ...speak to surfbird he knows his stuff. ;) at the end of the the artificial jerky look turns may be acceptable for some it depends of the needs i guess.

My personal experience (with Dronelink) is that smoothness is directly related to the power of the processor in your phone/tablet. The results using my first generation iPhone SE were not nearly as smooth as with my iPhone 12. Virtual sticks needs your device to do a lot of work, especially for orbits, and you really need the latest hardware to get the best from the app.

I can’t really see any significant jerkiness in the videos I posted.

Reactions: Chrislaf
All I know is what I tried on every software I could find .try it for yourself see how smooth an orbit is ....I got so p-i-s-ed off with it all I gave up ...have a look on dronelink forum and also on dji .com there are plenty on there with videos .I've just.looked and I binned all mine .I spent money on all of the software and got nowhere ...speak to surfbird he knows his stuff. ;) at the end of the the artificial jerky look turns may be acceptable for some it depends of the needs i guess.
Do you mind linking to one of those videos? With the jerky motion?

Also what mobile device are you using? Is the issue with waypoints or POI missions?

I have experimented extensively with native and joystick waypoints and didn’t find any noticeable differences and in fact the joystick waypoints usually give you more control.

Also what mobile device are you using? Is the issue with waypoints or POI missions?

I have experimented extensively with native and joystick waypoints and didn’t find any noticeable differences and in fact the joystick waypoints usually give you more control.
i have deleted all my stuff just had a look over the weekend .i will look on DJi forum to try and find some .

just looking on the dronelink forum,the 2 videos i found have found now say not available anymore.. i had a massive computer clean up a few months ago and deleted all my old videos.

just looking on the dronelink forum,the 2 videos i found have found now say not available anymore.. i had a massive computer clean up a few months ago and deleted all my old videos.
If you always find it jerky with virtual sticks, just make a new video and post it here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+