DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi or Dronelink?

Gábor Bokrossy

Reactions
Hi to Everyone, I am a new member of this forum, so sorry if I am asking what was already a subject of a discussion. I read an article on the WEB that the DJI SDK for Mavic Mini is ready for use. After it I found out that there are two application which are offering very interesting new possibilities. I read several articles from Litchi and also about Dronelink. At the moment I can not decide which one I do need to learn. Could you advise me?

Hi to Everyone, I am a new member of this forum, so sorry if I am asking what was already a subject of a discussion. I read an article on the WEB that the DJI SDK for Mavic Mini is ready for use. After it I found out that there are two application which are offering very interesting new possibilities. I read several articles from Litchi and also about Dronelink. At the moment I can not decide which one I do need to learn. Could you advise me?
Good day. Stick to dji fly app. Enjoy flying and be safe.

Reactions: ashyt16
If you got in trouble flying the 3rd party apps. Your warranty will be void.

Depends on how risk adverse you are. For some the increased capabilities available with 3rd party apps is worth it, even if you can't count on the warranty for any issues.

Also if you carry non-DJI insurance (like a State Farm Personal Articles policy), it doesn't really matter what app you use to fly the drone, it will be covered regardless.

I do not understand something. DJI publicated the SDK with which those applications are working. It would be not fair from DJI saying: if you use my SDK you are loosing my warranty! On the other hand I have read somewhere on the Dronelink site if your drone will have any problem due to their software error they will take the warranty...

Reactions: ff22
Depends on how risk adverse you are. For some the increased capabilities available with 3rd party apps is worth it, even if you can't count on the warranty for any issues.

Also if you carry non-DJI insurance (like a State Farm Personal Articles policy), it doesn't really matter what app you use to fly the drone, it will be covered regardless.
Okies. Well said bro. I’m just sticking to dji fly apps.

I do not understand something. DJI publicated the SDK with which those applications are working. It would be not fair from DJI saying: if you use my SDK you are loosing my warranty! On the other hand I have read somewhere on the Dronelink site if your drone will have any problem due to their software error they will take the warranty...
I will drop into this discussion with your reply.

But my question is since Dronelink uses stick and other controls how the heck with DJI even know it was being used? It seems that to the drone, the user (I) am controlling it and pushing the sticks. What's to show DJI that the drone was being controlled by 3rd party software?

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
I will drop into this discussion with your reply.

But my question is since Dronelink uses stick and other controls how the heck with DJI even know it was being used? It seems that to the drone, the user (I) am controlling it and pushing the sticks. What's to show DJI that the drone was being controlled by 3rd party software?

The problem is that when you submit a warranty claim, you need to include the log files from DJI Go / DJI Fly. (so if you were instead flying with a 3rd party app, you wouldn't have the logs that DJI requests)

Reactions: ff22
The problem is that when you submit a warranty claim, you need to include the log files from DJI Go / DJI Fly. (so if you were instead flying with a 3rd party app, you wouldn't have the logs that DJI requests)
Dronelink as well as Litchi or Mavic Maven always produce FlightRecords (delivered by the DJI SDK). I do not know, if these flight records contain hints to what software was used.
In the Airdata views they look (to me) identically.

Dronelink as well as Litchi or Mavic Maven always produce FlightRecords (delivered by the DJI SDK). I do not know, if these flight records contain hints to what software was used.
In the Airdata views they look (to me) identically.

The logs include the app and version of the software you were using.

Reactions: Emanáku
It seems like the OP was hijacked by another discussion about using a third party app at all.

As someone with a Mini 2, I'm watching with interest to see what each app can offer me when the SDK comes out, but I'm at a loss which I'd go for now if I had a Mini 1.

I 'just' want target following and to be able to plot routes (waypoints), so I don't understand why the comparison seems so complicated; or are they so similar for ease of use and ability to do these tasks?

It seems like the OP was hijacked by another discussion about using a third party app at all.

As someone with a Mini 2, I'm watching with interest to see what each app can offer me when the SDK comes out, but I'm at a loss which I'd go for now if I had a Mini 1.

I 'just' want target following and to be able to plot routes (waypoints), so I don't understand why the comparison seems so complicated; or are they so similar for ease of use and ability to do these tasks?
Litchi is more user-friendly. Much simpler to use and with a better interface. It has both GPS-based and also rudimentary optical follow me. It currently lacks waypoint missions.

DroneLink is much more powerful but with a steep learning curve, if you want to use it to it's full potential. It has every type of waypoint mission you could think of. You can even further extend it's functionality by writing your own functions (I wrote a function for 360 HDR panoramas). Unfortunately, beside not being very noob-friendly, for the full functionality it's very expensive (currently $80).

Litchi is more user-friendly. Much simpler to use and with a better interface. It has both GPS-based and also rudimentary optical follow me. It currently lacks waypoint missions.

DroneLink is much more powerful but with a steep learning curve, if you want to use it to it's full potential. It has every type of waypoint mission you could think of. You can even further extend it's functionality by writing your own functions (I wrote a function for 360 HDR panoramas). Unfortunately, beside not being very noob-friendly, for the full functionality it's very expensive (currently $80).
Thank you.

I'm not going to ever be a power user, so sticking with Litchi seems the best bet if it's just as capable of doing the standard stuff.

Comparisons on YouTube seem to favour one or the other doing these depending on the toss of a coin, so seem pretty much of a muchness.

I know this is an older post now, but just to ad my 2c, if you have DJI Care Refresh on your drone and you use a 3rd party app, they informed me that it is not covered/eligible for the replacements. At least that is what I was told by support.

I know this is an older post now, but just to ad my 2c, if you have DJI Care Refresh on your drone and you use a 3rd party app, they informed me that it is not covered/eligible for the replacements. At least that is what I was told by support.
I have dronelink and used it for the first time back in April and crashed my drone, was replaced via refresh no quibble
Haven't used dronelink since

Reactions: Crash and Burn

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78