DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Locations that are indistinguishable from NYC?

nycfilmmaker48

Reactions
Hi friends,

I'm an editor currently working on a feature film that is set in NYC. The script calls for some overhead drone shots– not of the skyline per se, but from a lower height, looking down on busy sidewalks and parks with the main focus being the people. We want to be able to see people, like ants, but still have the feeling of watching from the POV of some omniscient perspective.

We understand that flying drones in NYC is a no-go and are trying to get creative about what other locations, where the streets are more or less indistinguishable from New York from a certain height, might be more conducive to filming. Boston? Chicago? Kansas City?

I'd love to hear from locals in any city where the regulations are a little more lenient about where 'the spots' are for these types of shots. And if they're impossible, it's helpful to know that too. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Can you elaborate? I've worked with the Mayor's Office in the past and am unaware of any kind of exemption. Can't find any page about it on the state or mayor's website.

Hi friends,

I'm an editor currently working on a feature film that is set in NYC. The script calls for some overhead drone shots– not of the skyline per se, but from a lower height, looking down on busy sidewalks and parks with the main focus being the people. We want to be able to see people, like ants, but still have the feeling of watching from the POV of some omniscient perspective.

We understand that flying drones in NYC is a no-go and are trying to get creative about what other locations, where the streets are more or less indistinguishable from New York from a certain height, might be more conducive to filming. Boston? Chicago? Kansas City?

I'd love to hear from locals in any city where the regulations are a little more lenient about where 'the spots' are for these types of shots. And if they're impossible, it's helpful to know that too. Thanks in advance for your insight.

We in Atlanta pride ourselves on the ballooning film industry (Georgia's film production outaced California last year). Other productions have used us as a location-double for NY before. Plus, we offer some bananas tax incentives for productions to work here in town.

We in Atlanta pride ourselves on the ballooning film industry (Georgia's film production outaced California last year). Other productions have used us as a location-double for NY before. Plus, we offer some bananas tax incentives for productions to work here in town.

Thanks for the tip. How are the drone regulations in Atlanta? Any friendlier than NYC when it comes to flying in the streets/in areas populated with pedestrians?

Can you elaborate? I've worked with the Mayor's Office in the past and am unaware of any kind of exemption. Can't find any page about it on the state or mayor's website.

The exemption would be through the FAA but the Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment might be able to point you in the right direction. The exemption would be to a commercial pilot and you just couldn't go up and shoot since other FAA regs would need to be met. (But those same regs would apply wherever you flew.)

Reactions: btonetbone
I’ve flown over crowded streets and in between tall buildings in Chicago without anyone getting upset.

I’ve flown over crowded streets and in between tall buildings in Chicago without anyone getting upset.

There are lots of people flying lots of places that are supposedly off limits. However, with a commercial venture, like a feature film, somebody from the FAA will see it (statistically speaking) and say "Hmmmm..." When they find no permit for the flight, no commercial operator, and no exemption to fly in restricted airspace, the OP will find themselves well and truly screwed.

The cities don't make those rules, the Feds do. The FAA would be the source to issue permits to fly in restricted air, flying over populations, is not currently allowed UNLESS they are part of the commercial drone team etc.

Reactions: MadValley
Toronto is frequently used as NY City. Since it is apparently film industry friendly, you may be able to get some local crew to send you some stock footage.

Reactions: Callum
There are lots of people flying lots of places that are supposedly off limits. However, with a commercial venture, like a feature film, somebody from the FAA will see it (statistically speaking) and say "Hmmmm..." When they find no permit for the flight, no commercial operator, and no exemption to fly in restricted airspace, the OP will find themselves well and truly screwed.

The airspace wasn’t restricted and according to all the maps I wasn’t breaking any rules. Are there some secret rules I don’t know about? I don’t want to blatantly break the rules.

Are there some secret rules I don’t know about?

Not quite secret. Check out the FAA Drone Zone at Getting Started. Some things for hobbyists, like not flying over people, are mere suggestions of good practice. For pros, that same rule is a requirement. So, for the OP's original question, filming crowded streets for commercial purposes (the film) would require them to have all the crowd members be part of the film's cast.

If you're working with the film board you should be able to get an exemption for the drone shots.

I believe the problem he has is flying over people which is an FAA restriction. They are the agency that he would need to get a waiver from.

The city of NY may have restrictions of their own, which I am not knowledgeable about as I am not from NY. But NYC cannot waive or exempt the UAV pilot from flying over people.

In addition, if YOU HIRE a UAV pilot to fly this job, and he does not have the proper FAA107 certificate, and a waiver to fly over people, then you are also subject to a hefty fine for hiring him.

The cities don't make those rules, the Feds do. The FAA would be the source to issue permits to fly in restricted air, flying over populations, is not currently allowed UNLESS they are part of the commercial drone team etc.

FAA for the waiver, City for the filming permits.

Hobbyist flying drones are subject to following a national community based organization's safety guidelines by federal law. The beloved AMA safety code still seems to be the only qualifying document which fulfills this requirement, and it forbids flying over unprotected people and vehicles. No one here likes being ruled by the AMA code, but that is the law. Also a commercial Part 107 outfit in NY was the recipient of the largest drone fine by the FAA to date for just this behavior. A cool $1.900,000 to a company called SkyPan.
The FAA Gave Us a List of Every Drone Pilot Who Has Ever Been Fined
Be careful out there, especially over cities and crowds.
The more people you fly over, the bigger the fine, and the bigger the chance someone will complain.

Hi friends,

You should check with the San Francisco or Boston Film Boards. These cities are much more welcoming for film makers than NYC, since they haven't been used as much. Still, basic drone rules are that you can't fly over people, so you'll have to get official permission before doing so, or it could get expensive.

Hobbyist flying drones are subject to following a national community based organization's safety guidelines by federal law. The beloved AMA safety code still seems to be the only qualifying document which fulfills this requirement, and it forbids flying over unprotected people and vehicles. No one here likes being ruled by the AMA code, but that is the law. Also a commercial Part 107 outfit in NY was the recipient of the largest drone fine by the FAA to date for just this behavior. A cool $1.900,000 to a company called SkyPan.
The FAA Gave Us a List of Every Drone Pilot Who Has Ever Been Fined
Be careful out there, especially over cities and crowds.
The more people you fly over, the bigger the fine, and the bigger the chance someone will complain.

I wonder what the guy that smacked his drone into a Coast Guard vehicle thought when he found out?

Toronto is frequently used as NY City. Since it is apparently film industry friendly, you may be able to get some local crew to send you some stock footage.
Was about to post this.

Rembered that seasons 2-6 of "Suits" were filmed in Toronto financial district.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife