DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost connection - RTH worked, but trying to figure out why it lost connection

naiku

Reactions
I just took my Air out for a flight over my property, I suspect (hope) there is a pond in the woods to the back. Battery 98%, took off with 11 satellites and in P-GPS mode. At 23.6 seconds into the flight, I see a Cell Deviation on the battery of 0.107V until 24.6 seconds, after that the deviation between cells is back down to around 0.04v. Before 23.6 seconds it was typically between 0.033 and 0.064. At 1m 17s it has 14 satellites, IMU altitude of 83.3ft, distance to home of 220.2ft, battery 91%, at this point I get a message saying communication lost. At 1m 17.7s RTH kicks in and it rises up to 90ft and flies home, landing at 2m 27s.

The winds gusting around 15mph, but nothing too serious (or I would not have even flown at all). I did notice that the video glitched a couple times before losing the connection entirely. The thing I can't figure out is what caused it to lose connection, I flew this exact same area a couple days ago, it's over trees, the nearest house in that direction is another 800' away, no power lines between, nothing that I am aware of to cause any interference to make me lose connection to the drone. I am not hugely concerned, RTH worked perfectly, but if possible I would like to understand what may have caused it to lose connection in case it is something I should be aware of in future. I exported the DJI Flight Record text file and posted to phantomhelp, but it does not show anything out of the ordinary to me.

Thanks.

DJI released a new firmware update for the battery’s. Make sure u have the current firmware. Hope that fixes your problem.

I just took my Air out for a flight over my property, I suspect (hope) there is a pond in the woods to the back. Battery 98%, took off with 11 satellites and in P-GPS mode. At 23.6 seconds into the flight, I see a Cell Deviation on the battery of 0.107V until 24.6 seconds, after that the deviation between cells is back down to around 0.04v. Before 23.6 seconds it was typically between 0.033 and 0.064. At 1m 17s it has 14 satellites, IMU altitude of 83.3ft, distance to home of 220.2ft, battery 91%, at this point I get a message saying communication lost. At 1m 17.7s RTH kicks in and it rises up to 90ft and flies home, landing at 2m 27s.
None of the things you've mentioned has anything to do with losing connection.
Neither does battery firmware.
What does affect your signal, is obstacles between the controller and the drone and distance.
If you post a link to the Phantomhelp report, that might have some useful information that you didn't see.

That was my thinking as well, nothing there looked unusual and I highly doubt the battery firmware would cause it to lose connection (99% sure the battery is up to date).

I don't mind PM'ing a link to the Phantomhelp report, but since it is above my house, I'd rather not post it publicly.

Could be the lead between your controller and phone/monitor. This happened me a few times so I pulled the lead out and plugged it back in and connection returned. I have bought a new lead an no more connection errors.

You could be right, I use a tablet and the micro USB connection is not great. The tablet actually has a full size USB port as well, which I would prefer to use given how much sturdier USB-A is to Micro USB, but for some reason the tablet does not recognize using that with DJI Go 4, does not detect anything is connected, I may try to figure it out though. Micro USB plugs are not the strongest of things.

You could be right, I use a tablet and the micro USB connection is not great. The tablet actually has a full size USB port as well, which I would prefer to use given how much sturdier USB-A is to Micro USB, but for some reason the tablet does not recognize using that with DJI Go 4, does not detect anything is connected, I may try to figure it out though. Micro USB plugs are not the strongest of things.

You have to unplug the cable from the micro USB port for it to use the USB-A port.

You have to unplug the cable from the micro USB port for it to use the USB-A port.

Yes, I know, maybe I was not clear, I am using the USB-A on the controller already with the tablet. My tablet has both a micro USB as well as a USB-A.

If I try to use the USB-A on my tablet (to the USB-A on the controller) the app does not recognize I am connected. Micro USB on tablet to USB-A on controller works fine.

Yes, I know, maybe I was not clear, I am using the USB-A on the controller already with the tablet. My tablet has both a micro USB as well as a USB-A.

If I try to use the USB-A on my tablet (to the USB-A on the controller) the app does not recognize I am connected. Micro USB on tablet to USB-A on controller works fine.

No - you were clear but I did not read your post carefully enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan