DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2 Zoom for inspections

FunN4Lo

Reactions
Is anyone using their M2Z for inspections? If so, do you have a standard pic, and a zoom pic, from the same distance that you can post?

I can just make a video tomorrow with the 2x optical and the 4x digital zoom. Sorry that doesn’t help you right now

Here's a quick example of the 4X zoom using 2X optical and 2X lossless digital. I was hovering 200 feet high, and approximately 150 feet away from the building.

Great example of the versatility of the Zoom. So while it may not equal the Pro in some aspects, it really does have a very nice feature set.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Here's a quick example of the 4X zoom using 2X optical and 2X lossless digital. I was hovering at 300 feet, and was approximately 150 feet away from the building.

I appreciate the video. It does show some interesting capabilities. But I am not ever going to inspect a roof from that altitude. So it is not what I am looking for. With capabilities like the M2Z appears to have, I can't believe someone is not already using it for inspections. I have asked numerous times in lots of places. No response. I thought the M2Z was going to be the greatest thing since man canned beer for inspections. But the lack of response makes me think differently

I appreciate the video. It does show some interesting capabilities. But I am not ever going to inspect a roof from that altitude. So it is not what I am looking for. With capabilities like the M2Z appears to have, I can't believe someone is not already using it for inspections. I have asked numerous times in lots of places. No response. I thought the M2Z was going to be the greatest thing since man canned beer for inspections. But the lack of response makes me think differently

What kind of inspections? I think reading the Enterprise subforum, DJI was kind of aiming it somewhat toward inspections with its bright lamp or the infrared camera.

But I am not ever going to inspect a roof from that altitude
What are you going to do with your footage or images?
Will you provide a detailed report with exact measurements of the roof?
Are you trying to find defective roof shingles or other 'bad' spots and provide a report to your client such as:
Defective shingle at row 4, column 23 at roof north side of main building.

Depending on what are you offering your clients, you should decide between a Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom.

If you have to stay away from structures for whatever reason, get the M2Z or the M2E.

That’s quite impressive.
I don’t own an M2Z so not really up to speed on the spec, but can you get a higher zoom factor than shown here?

What do you call "inspection"? There are tons of different things you might want to "inspect" and for various different purposes. No wonder you get no answer if you don't give details.

Anyway everything is available from specs, the focal length tells you what you're going to see from what distance etc...

Note that the 4x zoom is only available in video mode and in 1080p. If you're tkinking of photos (you didn't mention that either) then the 2x optical zoom is all you get. Obviously you can crop later.

That’s quite impressive.
I don’t own an M2Z so not really up to speed on the spec, but can you get a higher zoom factor than shown here?

The video I posted shows the maximum range of the M2 Zoom. (As Kilrah points out, this is 1080 video. The lossless digital zoom isn't available in 4K or for stills).

If you really want zoom, The M2 Enterprise with the M2 Zoom lens and sensor has a 6X ability. (2X optical + 4X lossless digital). That's the equivalent field of view of a 24 - 144mm lens on a 35mm camera. This is also limited to 1080P

Since both models use the same lens & sensor, I'm sure this feature could be added to the M2 Zoom, but I guess they want it to be exclusive with the Enterprise as another way of justifying the much higher cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPL
What are you going to do with your footage or images?
Will you provide a detailed report with exact measurements of the roof?
Are you trying to find defective roof shingles or other 'bad' spots and provide a report to your client such as:
Defective shingle at row 4, column 23 at roof north side of main building.

Depending on what are you offering your clients, you should decide between a Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom.

If you have to stay away from structures for whatever reason, get the M2Z or the M2E.

I am a home inspector that has been inspecting roofs by drone, since the days when the DJI F450 was "the" drone (BP... Before Phantoms) I graduated to a P3P and I have been flying a P4P since its release. I am looking at new options.

I do not need roof measurements, just pics of roofs including the good, bad, and the ugly. But right now... I am looking for someone that is already doing inspections with a M2Z, for real world experience

What do you call "inspection"? There are tons of different things you might want to "inspect" and for various different purposes. No wonder you get no answer if you don't give details.

Read above for an answer. But... I did not specify what I was inspecting because... ANY follow up from SOMEONE, actually doing ANY type of inspection, would make me absolutely ecstatic!

I have been doing inspections long enough that I can translate their medium to mine, by seeing their inspection media

In the coming weeks I will mount a smartphone with flir one pro on top of the mavic 2 zoom for solar panel inspection. Nothing professional but detecting faulty panels of small arrays is enough for me at a fraction of the cost of the pro thermal drones.

I am a home inspector that has been inspecting roofs by drone, since the days when the DJI F450 was "the" drone (BP... Before Phantoms) I graduated to a P3P and I have been flying a P4P since its release. I am looking at new options.

I do not need roof measurements, just pics of roofs including the good, bad, and the ugly. But right now... I am looking for someone that is already doing inspections with a M2Z, for real world experience

While I have you here.... How's mine doing? Actually, part of a 360 degree pan I took with my zoom.My Roof.jpg

Reactions: FunN4Lo
Not only is digital zoom limited to 1080p, it is limited to 1080p@30fps.
No digital at 60fps, unless that has been lifted in the recent updates.

Reactions: Kilrah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54