DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 best practices?

SteveMouzon

Reactions
Complete newbie... never flown a drone until today. Just took my new M3 out on its maiden flight, and have a couple questions:

1. When processing photos from my Nikon DSLR, I first convert the NEF (Nikon's RAW) files to DNG, being sure to embed full-res previews in the DNG file. The M3 already shoots DNG files, but without the previews so I ran DNG Converter again to embed the previews. But that reduced 30-something meg files to 20-something, even with the previews embedded. Does anyone have a better solution?

2. My house is in the flight path of the regional airport so I can't fly there without getting permission, and unlocking the zone on the app says "coming soon" or similar. But if I leave my home set as home, what happens when the M3 tries to fly home only to confront the no-fly zone?

If you have up-to-date editing software, you should be able to import the DNG files directly. Adobe Lightroom doesn't have an M3-specific profile but applies a default profile that is close for now without any conversion.

If you update the Fly app, the GEO-zone unlocking is now functional. I am using it for both self-unlocks and custom unlocks.

Are you in a LAANC "0" grid? If you are in Class G or a grid with any altitude limit other than zero, you can submit a request to [email protected] for a long-term unlock at your home. That way you only have to get the LAANC authorization and not have to also mess with the GEO unlock every time.

Reactions: SteveMouzon
There is no need to run any converter. Copy the files from sd cart to your computer disc. Import that file into your video editor of choice, and you are good to go. The editor displays the string of video frames sequentially at the frame fate of the video.

The business with previews is totally unnecessary with video. It applies to stills only.

If you have up-to-date editing software, you should be able to import the DNG files directly. Adobe Lightroom doesn't have an M3-specific profile but applies a default profile that is close for now without any conversion.

If you update the Fly app, the GEO-zone unlocking is now functional. I am using it for both self-unlocks and custom unlocks.

Are you in a LAANC "0" grid? If you are in Class G or a grid with any altitude limit other than zero, you can submit a request to [email protected] for a long-term unlock at your home. That way you only have to get the LAANC authorization and not have to also mess with the GEO unlock every time.
Thanks! I've applied for the long-term unlocks you describe, as I'm in or on the edge of four zones. It's Christmas Eve, so it may take longer than usual, but I'll report back on what all's involved.

There is no need to run any converter. Copy the files from sd cart to your computer disc. Import that file into your video editor of choice, and you are good to go. The editor displays the string of video frames sequentially at the frame fate of the video.

The business with previews is totally unnecessary with video. It applies to stills only.
Thanks! And yeah, my main concern is stills, which for now is all I do. I'll play with video at some point, of course.

Complete newbie... never flown a drone until today. Just took my new M3 out on its maiden flight, and have a couple questions:

1. When processing photos from my Nikon DSLR, I first convert the NEF (Nikon's RAW) files to DNG, being sure to embed full-res previews in the DNG file. The M3 already shoots DNG files, but without the previews so I ran DNG Converter again to embed the previews. But that reduced 30-something meg files to 20-something, even with the previews embedded. Does anyone have a better solution?

2. My house is in the flight path of the regional airport so I can't fly there without getting permission, and unlocking the zone on the app says "coming soon" or similar. But if I leave my home set as home, what happens when the M3 tries to fly home only to confront the no-fly zone?
Do you have the Adobe DNG converter for your Nikon? It's a free download. It is available for both windows and Mac. There will be a list of supporters cameras, of which almost every. Nikon is supported. I've been using it for years for my timelapse software program.
Adobe DNG Converter - Downloadhttps://adobe-dng-converter.en.lo4d.com › windows

or Google, "Adobe DNG converter free download."

Dale
Miami

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members