DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3- for Pro use it flies like a pig.

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
Ok, I've been away and have now had a few weeks to play with this thing and I've come to the conclusion the M3 as an aircraft is some sort of joke. But if you are not a Pro who needs really fine control this post probably won't concern you.

I've often said if they just put the new camera in the M2P and it flew like a M2P I would have been perfectly happy, I'd even pay the M3 price for it! Unfortunately this thing acts like a drunken sailor. The ability to fly at cinematic speeds, i.e. really, really slowly with precision like the M2P could is totally gone. It simply cannot fly slow enough in ANY mode, let alone so-called "cine" mode, no matter how you tweak the settings. When you approach a speed that is just approaching slow enough it just stops dead! Plus all the fine control of the M2P has gone. If you hover it swings sideways back and forth like its on the end of a rope. If you try to track forward or back, the same, if you crane straight up or down, the same, all with ZERO wind. It even did some really quick, weird random moves the other day, nearly crashing into some trees, with my hands totally off the controls. So we get to pay 40% more than the previous model for an aircraft that has inferior flying ability to BOTH previous models. Not a good business plan I would suggest DJI. Where's the promised HLG by the way?

Last edited:
Have you tried adding Expo to the sticks? It make a huge difference when they added that feature to the Go app.

Have you tried adding Expo to the sticks? It make a huge difference when they added that feature to the Go app.
Yes have tweaked those settings ad infinitum. Certainly it got better after that, but better than what?

Reactions: Droniac
If you turn off the APASS the drone in cine will be more smooth but you need to be careful since there are not be any sensors active. The drone needs tweek. DJI will get there. Just be patient.

If you turn off the APASS the drone in cine will be more smooth but you need to be careful since there are not be any sensors active. The drone needs tweek. DJI will get there. Just be patient.
Last time I looked I had all sensors off anyway as they can cause their own issues when attempting fine control work, which is what I do (did) a lot of. It's bedtime here but I'll check all that in the morning.

Last time I looked I had all sensors off anyway as they can cause their own issues when attempting fine control work, which is what I do (did) a lot of. It's bedtime here but I'll check all that in the morning.
Before take-off you will see all sensors disable. Is normal. Once you take off make sure APAS is off just as a test and you will see the M3 more responsive and less "nervous" or "erratic" close to the ground.

Yep, that's right, set the obstacle avoidance mode to Brake, the sensors will still work but it will not be snappy and jerky.

Yep, that's right, set the obstacle avoidance mode to Brake, the sensors will still work but it will not be snappy and jerky.
The brake will make it jump and you don't want that while filming cinematics. For example, I like to fly very close to the water and Kissimmee grass but with APASS on or Brake will kill the cinematic effect. The good is that will be a smooth recording. The bad, you need to be careful to do not to crash your drone.

I keep obstacle avoidance set to "off"

I keep obstacle avoidance set to "off"
Even with obstacles avoidance set in off, while landing you will always have the down sensor ON.

Ok, I've been away and have now had a few weeks to play with this thing and I've come to the conclusion the M3 as an aircraft is some sort of joke. But if you are not a Pro who needs really fine control this post probably won't concern you.

I've often said if they just put the new camera in the M2P and it flew like a M2P I would have been perfectly happy, I'd even pay the M3 price for it! Unfortunately this thing acts like a drunken sailor. The ability to fly at cinematic speeds, i.e. really, really slowly with precision like the M2P could is totally gone. It simply cannot fly slow enough in ANY mode, let alone so-called "cine" mode, no matter how you tweak the settings. When you approach a speed that is just approaching slow enough it just stops dead! Plus all the fine control of the M2P has gone. If you hover it swings sideways back and forth like its on the end of a rope. If you try to track forward or back, the same, if you crane straight up or down, the same, all with ZERO wind. It even did some really quick, weird random moves the other day, nearly crashing into some trees, with my hands totally off the controls. So we get to pay 40% more than the previous model for an aircraft that has inferior flying ability to BOTH previous models. Not a good business plan I would suggest DJI. Where's the promised HLG by the way?
I was looking at your avatar and it led me to your bio. Impressive!!! I'd love to inundate your brain with questions but I won't do that out of respect. I think I will however follow you and see what I can absorb.

Even with obstacles avoidance set in off, while landing you will always have the down sensor ON.
FYI this is my last film on the M2P, hopefully showing the fine control ability that machine has. I even had smoother flight control on the M1 than this new one!

I was looking at your avatar and it led me to your bio. Impressive!!! I'd love to inundate your brain with questions but I won't do that out of respect. I think I will however follow you and see what I can absorb.
Happy to have a chat here or elsewhere. I certainly am nowhere near knowing everything I just try really hard 😎 which is why I get so frustrated by things like this, especially as I had the money sitting in an account for 2 whole years waiting to buy the M3.

Happy to have a chat here or elsewhere. I certainly am nowhere near knowing everything I just try really hard 😎 which is why I get so frustrated by things like this, especially as I had the money sitting in an account for 2 whole years waiting to buy the M3.
That would be a huge let down. I'm only a hobbyist and just recently purchased a few BlackMagic cameras to further my learning. Someday I'm sure I will take you up on this offer but at this early stage of my development my questions are fragmented. In time they will hopefully become more focused and be effaceable to ask.

That would be a huge let down. I'm only a hobbyist and just recently purchased a few BlackMagic cameras to further my learning. Someday I'm sure I will take you up on this offer but at this early stage of my development my questions are fragmented. In time they will hopefully become more focused and be effaceable to ask.
The Ursa G2 is one of my cameras, I like it so far.

FYI this is my last film on the M2P, hopefully showing the fine control ability that machine has. I even had smoother flight control on the M1 than this new one!
That is incredible footage. You are a really good pilot and cineast. The M3 can get done the job but as I mention APAS needs to be off to get that level of footage close to objects and to the ground. You have the ability to fly without APAS I am sure after seeing the video. Again, DJI needs to fine-tune the cine mode and APAS specifically for CINE mode.

That is incredible footage. You are a really good pilot and cineast. The M3 can get done the job but as I mention APAS needs to be off to get that level of footage close to objects and to the ground. You have the ability to fly without APAS I am sure after seeing the video. Again, DJI needs to fine-tune the cine mode and APAS specifically for CINE mode.
Well, nice to hear someone with a high-level of experience say that about potential fine-tuning, I just hope DJI are listening

Reactions: Droniac and zeusfl
The Ursa G2 is one of my cameras, I like it so far.
I believe that to be a wonderful camera. I buy used. Like one's first instrument, I want to see how it goes before buying a Stradivarius . I have two BMCC 4k's and a Ursa Mini 4k (G1 or first model of mini). They are all producing images that I love. A whole new arena coming from DSLR's and camcorders.

**** Chris, quite an impressive bio . . . you may know a few things about aerial photography and cinematography. I'm following and listening sir . . . ‼️

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54