DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA flew itself into Active Track subject

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need to convince me of anything.
I am sorry if what ever I said struck you in a manner other than how I intended it.....
As something for all of us to learn from. Whats with all the hate?
Did I state something that was not correct?

You don't need to convince me of anything.
I am sorry if what ever I said struck you in a manner other than how I intended it.....
As something for all of us to learn from. Whats with all the hate?
Did I state something that was not correct?
You said what I did was dangerous and should be avoided. You said the crash was my fault. I disagree with all of that and I feel like you're implying that I'm idiot.

That's what you read..... What I said was;
Sorry for the loss!
BUT what you have proved is that a drone can bring down another aircraft!
If nothing else, you have proved that trusting toy technology to handle a dangerous action should be avoided.
From this point on I have sensed hate from you...... When all I said was basically, everyone should beware of smart modes. That is all I have said since.
I will try not to respond to any further threads you post if it is of any comfort to you.
Again, sorry for the loss.

From this point on I have sensed hate from you...... When all I said was basically, everyone should beware of smart modes. That is all I have said since.
I will try not to respond to any further threads you post if it is of any comfort to you.
I don't agree that I trusted toy technology to handle a dangerous action. I don't agree that equipment malfunction is pilot error. I don't agree with your implication that I'm irresponsible and deserve what I got. What you have felt from me is defensiveness, not hate. But whatever. There's no need to avoid responding to my threads in the future, if I post any. Like I said before, I expect to be attacked when I post in a forum. Just expect me to defend myself if you do.

I don't know what to say...........
I never said any of those things about you. Just observations of what could happen to others if they try a smart mode in a dangerous situation..
I have no interest in continuing defending myself, against your defensiveness.
I am out!

Reactions: ravenflight
Like I said; Do not rely on these automated features! Precise landing/take off, RTH, follow mode or whatever, trouble...only trouble.

The pause button or the sport mode switch would both have aborted the operation had I hit one of them in time. Unfortunately I thought the Active Track was working at first and it wasn't until the last second that I realized it wasn't going to stop. I'm used to the Inspire controller and in that split second I drew a blank on what the abort action on the MA controller was (and I didn't have my finger on the switch like I typically do with the Inspire). All I did was pull back on the right stick, which did nothing. Even if I had been able to abort, the brake distance is large enough that the collision was probably unavoidable by then. I'm sure there's no way to convince ac0j that this does not mean I'm an incompetent idiot but I feel like equipment malfunctions don't fall under pilot error.
Well, FWIW I don't think you did anything "wrong". At all.

Rather, your post got me to think. I saw a possible opportunity to have avoided this with some forethought and practice that, I'd never really thought much about. Shared it, 'cause I thought it was a good idea.

I'd like to be reflexive with some emergency bailout mechanism, and I'm not. I have to think about it, which makes it a lot less useful.

Like I said; Do not rely on these automated features! Precise landing/take off, RTH, follow mode or whatever, trouble...only trouble.
Now, that's a bit rigid, don't you think? Give some thought to all the automated technology you're still using when you land "manually". Or "manually" fly in a straight line. Who's holding altitude? Maintaining orientation and direction?

When you do land, do you really fully control the landing manually, or in fact do you simply hold the stick full-down while the aircraft flares itself and gently settles on the landing surface?

This is just scratching the surface of all the "nannies" that are really flying for you, so a bit of humility is in order here in terms of belief one is a highly skilled quad copter pilot. And that using but one or two more layers of technological assistance is somehow the demarkation of the lazy or careless amateur.

Go build yourself a quad from the early days, without compass, IMU, baro altimeter, GPS... Only a relatively primitive "flight controller" to apportion power to the props in response to stick movements.

Fly that for more than 5 seconds without crashing it and come back. Then, fly big figure eights over a high-school football field, holding constant 50ft altitude, on a breezy day and we'll give you the Experienced Pilot star.

Otherwise, giving high-level commands to these AI machines so they can do the actual flying and perform to our desires isn't really that much different flying autonomously (RTH) or landing manually. You're still only indirectly in control regardless.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
I have to disagree. Strongly. These are amazing features when used properly and with suitable precaution.

I've been using Active Track going back to when I got a P4, and have used it without serious incident on MP and MA (got a Spark, don't fly it).

These features are not inherently dangerous. Using them in conditions where they are not suitable is. The OP apparently discovered one -- or there truly was a software defect, which happens too.

BTW, the capability, accuracy, and cinematic results from various Intelligent Flight Modes, Active Track chief among them, has been steadily improving. I'm quite impressed with the solid performance of AT on the Air.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
I never said any of those things about you. Just observations of what could happen to others if they try a smart mode in a dangerous situation..
I am out!
I should give you the benefit of the doubt and take you at your word. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Well, FWIW I don't think you did anything "wrong". At all.

Rather, your post got me to think. I saw a possible opportunity to have avoided this with some forethought and practice that, I'd never really thought much about. Shared it, 'cause I thought it was a good idea.

I'd like to be reflexive with some emergency bailout mechanism, and I'm not. I have to think about it, which makes it a lot less useful.
Thanks. I really should have had my finger on the pause button. I normally do but this time I had been fooling with the app trying to get it to work and I wasn't expect it to do much if anything. I didn't know kamikaze was a possibility.

This makes me think of the driverless Uber accident not to long ago.
Would it have been a different outcome with a human holding a remote control in the VLOS? Probably not.
It also proves that technology isn't at the required level for things to operate themselves safely.

ATTI MODE: fly with caution!! I got a four on the floor, carburated, dino burning, V8...no computer needed.

Not only did Active Track fail in this instance, but so did obstacle avoidance. DJI has some work to do. Companies love the free beta testing done by the consumer. They should then help the consumer when their tech fails.

Jeez! Calm down! You’re both reading way too much into each other’s remarks!

First time i have seen someone try and track an airborne target - maybe someone has successfully documented it before? But to me it looks like you discovered the limitations of current DJI technology in this area...a painful experience for you but I'm sure your footage will save someone else suffering the same faith.
All the best dealing with DJI !!
I tried active track again (I never trust it actually) for a few minutes yesterday. I set it to follow me walking the dog. When I stopped, MP started to fly towards me and then back up again, over and over, but every time coming a few feet closer to me, until I decided that it became dangerous.

Active track is just a toy gimmick, added to persuade the sports selfie generation to get into drones.
I would start a discussion with DJI about how dangerous it could be. Good change they replace your Mavic with a new one as a courtesy while still claiming pilot error. Besides, nowhere is to be found in the (mavic pro, not sure about Air) manuals, online, or in instruction videos, that tracking another flying object isn't possible (although one might envision it not to work though).

Not only did Active Track fail in this instance, but so did obstacle avoidance. DJI has some work to do. Companies love the free beta testing done by the consumer. They should then help the consumer when their tech fails.
Although I think it's always a pilots decision and responsibility weather to use these modes or not, I agree that it is DJI who markets these drones to people who are typically not drawn to RC flying. They should be more clear in the documentation, as well as in their advertising, that these automatic modes can be dangerous. They choose not to do so because the general public should believe that their drones are absolutely safe and that anyone who shells out the money should be able to fly it.

Active track is very unsafe, it is dependant on a lot variables to work correctly. The fact that a lot of people buy drones JUST for this function alone makes it even worse. Even an experienced pilot can get surprised completely while not in actual command. Many tend to track themselves without even having their fingers on the controls (like on a motor bike). My neighbour biked for miles having his mavic track him, while the controller was in his backpack. Flying alongside a busy road, incredibly dangerous. But that's what he bought it for. A flying sports action selfie camera.

Reactions: FEMit
These "intelligent flight modes" are nice but not as intelligent as DJI want you to believe.

Put it this way, no company has fully automated cars working yet, and cars only have two axis to control. They're still side swiping white lorries on bright backgrounds, running over pedestrians, smashing into the back of parked/stopped cars, etc. This is with far more advanced technology tested at a much greater scale than anything DJI can hope to achieve, in a relatively simpler environment.

The Mavic Air does not have any where near the same level of processing power and it has a more complex environment to operate in (it has to operate in the same environment as the auto driving cars, avoiding obstacles appearing from the left and right at will, but additionally has to cover above and below, birds, wind, etc. Sure it's not reading road signs but in the grand scheme of things reading of road signs is one of the easier things these vehicles are doing). The fact it even works intermittently is an achievement but like all of the Darwin award recipients created from "fully automated driving" putting your faith into something this complex and expecting it to work flawlessly every time is the error you're making.

Like others have said, what likely happened here is the drone couldn't see what you had told it to target. Just because you can see a DJI Inspire in your video playback doesn't mean the drone can see it. It's white, on a bright day, and all of the black components are thin metal tubes against a backdrop of tree branches. Basically invisible as far as a computer will be concerned. The detection algorithm will be busy trying to count branches and won't see anything else in the picture. The algorithm for active track will not be as advanced as "detect what it is I've just tapped on". It will only be as advanced as "follow this different coloured blob against the background of all of this green" (that is, follow this person walking across a field). It doesn't know it's following a person, or a bicycle, or a drone. It knows it's following a black blob on a green background.

It will be interesting to see what DJI says about tracking another AC. I hope they respond to the situation.
They will call it pilot error, nothing else. But start a discussion about the safety and you might get a courtesy service. They don't like stories like this at all.

I am out!
Come on brother, you don't have to defend yourself. It's never a one to one personal discussion on a forum. This is for everyone to learn from, an interesting thread and I value your opinion.
(some)People seem to think it's normal to try these things out on their 3 year old child FGS. Come on DJI, WARN PEOPLE, before they jump on the bandwagon! Something's gonna happen someday for sure, and it's going to be nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest