DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Fell out of the Sky (with flight log)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've now made three posts on this thread, and none of them help the OP either. Please take your own advice.

I appreciate the support. Certainly wasn’t looking to start WW3 here, but like @TheCEO said, I was simply wondering what would cause the drone to completely shut off. I did have VLOS on the aircraft aided by LEDs, was not flying over people or moving automobiles. As it turned out, DJI confirmed the random loss of power and identified it as a mechanical failure covered under warranty, so I’m set in that regard. It’s just interesting to document and understand what would cause failures like this, especially if I’m not the only one. As someone aptly put, if I was flying over an empty field at 399ft, wouldn’t it be interesting to know what caused the random shutoff of power? Regardless of locale, etc... it’s important for us to understand the potential issues or limitations of our aircraft. Scary to think I could have flown over water to film some scenery just to have the MA2 turn off in midair, randomly... knowing that I’m unfortunately not a certified diver. Thanks all.

Reactions: TheCEO and teeroy
I appreciate the support. Certainly wasn’t looking to start WW3 here, but like @TheCEO said, I was simply wondering what would cause the drone to completely shut off. I did have VLOS on the aircraft aided by LEDs, was not flying over people or moving automobiles. As it turned out, DJI confirmed the random loss of power and identified it as a mechanical failure covered under warranty, so I’m set in that regard. It’s just interesting to document and understand what would cause failures like this, especially if I’m not the only one. As someone aptly put, if I was flying over an empty field at 399ft, wouldn’t it be interesting to know what caused the random shutoff of power? Regardless of locale, etc... it’s important for us to understand the potential issues or limitations of our aircraft. Scary to think I could have flown over water to film some scenery just to have the MA2 turn off in midair, randomly... knowing that I’m unfortunately not a certified diver. Thanks all.
They do that a lot. Don’t take offense. That’s what a forum is for to discuss these issues and get advice. There’s many others who’ve experienced this yet they say it doesn’t happen even if DJI themselves gave you a replacement because of it. I’m convinced you can’t convince some people lol

They do that a lot. Don’t take offense. That’s what a forum is for to discuss these issues and get advice. There’s many others who’ve experienced this yet they say it doesn’t happen even if DJI themselves gave you a replacement because of it. I’m convinced you can’t convince some people lol
While I agree with what you're saying, you gotta remember...the guys that know these things inside and out provide us with the best insights to flying safely and how to avoid costly errors. Of all the cases they diagnose, probably 90% or more the pilot insists they did nothing wrong, but once the logs are analyzed it turns out to be exactly the case. Maybe one in ten turns out to be actual hardware/software/equipment failure.

I think it hardens them, sort of like homicide detectives. "But I didn't do it!" Yeah, right pal. Then the DNA evidence exonerates them. But the detectives never say "oops, we got it wrong, sorry". lol

Reactions: TheCEO and Tufargon
While I agree with what you're saying, you gotta remember...the guys that know these things inside and out provide us with the best insights to flying safely and how to avoid costly errors. Of all the cases they diagnose, probably 90% or more the pilot insists they did nothing wrong, but once the logs are analyzed it turns out to be exactly the case. Maybe one in ten turns out to be actual hardware/software/equipment failure.

I think it hardens them, sort of like homicide detectives. "But I didn't do it!" Yeah, right pal. Then the DNA evidence exonerates them. But the detectives never say "oops, we got it wrong, sorry". lol
I completely agree and I think that is exactly what it is. I just think sometimes the people with actual hardware issues get dismissed and becomes a bit frustrating. But I do agree they seem very knowledgeable and most times are 100% right. I just had a mavic air 2 lose GPS after calibrating compass perfectly and also staying away from buildings yet I was reluctant to ask because didn’t want to be told I didn’t calibrate the compass or something. So I do believe they are experts but even DJI has admitted fault and replaced these things under warranty because of these things

Reactions: teeroy
... I just think sometimes the people with actual hardware issues get dismissed ... even DJI has admitted fault and replaced these things under warranty because of these things
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make ... no one showing up with logs have been dismissed what I have seen here. Neither have anybody claimed that HW issues doesn't exist ... several have instead told you earlier that approx 10% of all cases showing up at this forum seems to be related to that... either due to proof from the logs or lack of pilot errors.

It's another thing when someone have had a mishap & loudly claiming that it's of epidemic proportions & it shouldn't be allowed to happen & on top of that doesn't share any logs.

Anybody can speculate but it's only the logs that contain the true facts ...

I just had a mavic air 2 lose GPS after calibrating compass perfectly and also staying away from buildings yet I was reluctant to ask because didn’t want to be told I didn’t calibrate the compass or something.
Someone who knows wouldn't suggest that failure to calibrate the compass would cause a problem.
I still haven't ever calibrated anything on my main working drone in the 4.5 years since it was new.
Not recalibrating your compass doesn't cause problems at all.

I understand that. But my point is how is that going to cause his drone to shut off while flying. My point is if someone has a concern it’s not to be scrutinized it’s to ask for opinions of the forum. I don’t know I just feel they do that a lot when people ask a question

Operational scrutiny and critique might not help understand why a drone shut off, but for sure it will help with flight planning to minimise the dangers if it does. It's all learning and I for one am grateful for it.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make ... no one showing up with logs have been dismissed what I have seen here. Neither have anybody claimed that HW issues doesn't exist ... several have instead told you earlier that approx 10% of all cases showing up at this forum seems to be related to that... either due to proof from the logs or lack of pilot errors.

It's another thing when someone have had a mishap & loudly claiming that it's of epidemic proportions & it shouldn't be allowed to happen & on top of that doesn't share any logs.

You’ve most certainly insinuated that it’s pilot error if a drone shuts off or flys away. Your jus now saying this. Dji fly doesn’t even allow you to get your log records. You have to search other apps. Not about to keep going back and forth tho. Let’s agree to disagree. Logs are helpful in identifying an issue thats for sure but if DJI themselves say “there was a hardware issue” and replaced the mans drone, I don’t see why You can’t believe that. But cool

Someone who knows wouldn't suggest that failure to calibrate the compass would cause a problem.
I still haven't ever calibrated anything on my main working drone in the 4.5 years since it was new.
Not recalibrating your compass doesn't cause problems at all.
Not calibration your compass when it says “compass error” will most certainly cause issues. I’ve had drones for years as well. You don’t need to calibrate it everytime of course. Like I said DJI themselves already told this man “hardware issue” not sure why I’m even discussing this. Just saying

Not calibration your compass when it says “compass error” will most certainly cause issues.
You are far out of your depth on technical issues and don't understand what compass calibration actually does.
Probably 99% of the time you could see a compass error, recalibrating is not required at all.

Logs are helpful in identifying an issue thats for sure but if DJI themselves say “there was a hardware issue” and replaced the mans drone, I don’t see why You can’t believe that. But cool
Because DJI have either said BS or skipped on details on tons of occasions before.
There are countless cases here where people came with their issue and posted logs while simultaneously submitting a case to DJI, they got their aircraft replaced with no details yet people here were able to find the actual cause from the logs and teach the pilot to not do the same mistake again.

You’ve most certainly insinuated that it’s pilot error if a drone shuts off or flys away. Your jus now saying this...
It's very apparent that you have got stuck in some conspiratorial thinking that something is going on that no one is allowed to talk about ... You have so far mostly been seeking up & commenting in threads involving AC falling dead from the sky & eagerly trying to make a point that this shouldn't be allowed to happen & that no one is recognizing hardware errors.

You started this thread:
Have you experienced a Mavic air 2 shut off mid air?
Where you write...

-I looked it up and if you google “mavic air shut off mid flight” or mavic air engine shut off there’s tons of articles and forums and also on YouTube as well

-I’m seeing so many reports of this yet people seem to say “user error”

-But I feel like the ones that’s are due to IMU errors, esc’s,computer errors or anything are being dismissed as user error or not simply the drone glitched and fell.

-It happens more then you think

-I think there’s something wrong with these things they aren’t saying

Then you dug up an older thread from 2019 ...
Mavic 2 Pro motors shut down mid-flight
Where you write...

-I’ve been saying this but it’s funny that all the “pro’s” attack my theory under operator error.

After that you dived into this thread ...
Where you write...

-There’s many others who’ve experienced this yet they say it doesn’t happen

-I just think sometimes the people with actual hardware issues get dismissed

In nearly all of these threads I ... & others have constantly told you that we see about 10% HW related failures here at the forum ... the rest have been found to be pilot related.

But still you resist, try to beat & dead horse & blowing it up to epidemic proportions ... again, no one claims that HW don't fail on DJI drones. Below some of the answers you have received ...

-But as these flying machines are made by humans they aren't failsafe
-You will always find examples of failing equipment ... they will never be 100% failsafe
-Things like that happen. I have come across multiple reports in this forum about connection cutting off suddenly
-This kind of cases amount to less than 10% of the reported incidences in this forum
-ALL hardware is prone to failure.
-Everything breaks eventually.

Dji fly doesn’t even allow you to get your log records...
It have with some exceptions always been possible to retrieve the logs from the mobile device ... & still are. That DJI have recently changed the log encryption isn't any new thing, they have done that several times before ... but eventually 3:rd party apps catch up & on we go. This doesn't prove that DJI or someone else is trying to hide something from us as you imply.

... Let’s agree to disagree ... if DJI themselves say “there was a hardware issue” and replaced the mans drone, I don’t see why You can’t believe that.
Haven't a slightest clue to what you're saying here ... I don't "believe" anything, the logs show what they show nothing more ... & this was my conclusion earlier to this threads case

- ...is that this was an electrical fault, either permanently or intermittent... this cut the connection to your RC & stopped the motors.

Must say that it correlates well with DJI's & the decision about replacement they made. You can read my full post here --> Post #18

Because DJI have either said BS or skipped on details on tons of occasions before.
There are countless cases here where people came with their issue and posted logs while simultaneously submitting a case to DJI, they got their aircraft replaced with no details yet people here were able to find the actual cause from the logs and teach the pilot to not do the same mistake again.
So when DJI says it’s a hardware fault it’s bs if not it’s the pilots error? So no matter what it’s pilot error.

The point I’m trying to make is that only now are you saying 10% are actual hardware issues which is good others but others have said they can fail. My point is not everything is pilot error. And if DJI told that man it was hardware failure then that’s what it was. You keep mentioning logs, I agree logs tell MOST of the story. But that’s not my point. My point here was even after Dji told him it was hardware issue you guys still kept mentioning logs as if DJI is going to not look at logs themselves to verify his story before a replacement. No offense but I’m sure a drone company knows more about logs them a lot of people

Last edited:
So when DJI says it’s a hardware fault it’s bs if not it’s the pilots error? So no matter what it’s pilot error.
It's very apparent that you have got stuck in some conspiratorial thinking that something is going on that no one is allowed to talk about ... You have so far mostly been seeking up & commenting in threads involving AC falling dead from the sky & eagerly trying to make a point that this shouldn't be allowed to happen & that no one is recognizing hardware errors.

You started this thread:
Have you experienced a Mavic air 2 shut off mid air?
Where you write...

-I looked it up and if you google “mavic air shut off mid flight” or mavic air engine shut off there’s tons of articles and forums and also on YouTube as well

-I’m seeing so many reports of this yet people seem to say “user error”

-But I feel like the ones that’s are due to IMU errors, esc’s,computer errors or anything are being dismissed as user error or not simply the drone glitched and fell.

-It happens more then you think

-I think there’s something wrong with these things they aren’t saying

Then you dug up an older thread from 2019 ...
Mavic 2 Pro motors shut down mid-flight
Where you write...

-I’ve been saying this but it’s funny that all the “pro’s” attack my theory under operator error.

After that you dived into this thread ...
Where you write...

-There’s many others who’ve experienced this yet they say it doesn’t happen

-I just think sometimes the people with actual hardware issues get dismissed

In nearly all of these threads I ... & others have constantly told you that we see about 10% HW related failures here at the forum ... the rest have been found to be pilot related.

But still you resist, try to beat & dead horse & blowing it up to epidemic proportions ... again, no one claims that HW don't fail on DJI drones. Below some of the answers you have received ...

-But as these flying machines are made by humans they aren't failsafe
-You will always find examples of failing equipment ... they will never be 100% failsafe
-Things like that happen. I have come across multiple reports in this forum about connection cutting off suddenly
-This kind of cases amount to less than 10% of the reported incidences in this forum
-ALL hardware is prone to failure.
-Everything breaks eventually.

It have with some exceptions always been possible to retrieve the logs from the mobile device ... & still are. That DJI have recently changed the log encryption isn't any new thing, they have done that several times before ... but eventually 3:rd party apps catch up & on we go. This doesn't prove that DJI or someone else is trying to hide something from us as you imply.

Haven't a slightest clue to what you're saying here ... I don't "believe" anything, the logs show what they show nothing more ... & this was my conclusion earlier to this threads case

- ...is that this was an electrical fault, either permanently or intermittent... this cut the connection to your RC & stopped the motors.

Must say that it correlates well with DJI's & the decision about replacement they made. You can read my full post here --> Post #18
good investigative work looking up all my comments champ. But In your response you proved my point “there was an electrical fault” aka a hardware failure. Yet anytime someone mentions these things you blame the pilot those quotes you posted saying “it could happen” weren’t yours. You just now in recent posts started mentioning they can fail. All I wanted to make sure was that you guys knew that these magical machines can have hardware and software issues, not everything is pilot error. And when someone has an issue and asks a question don’t be a snob and give them a hard time, simply because you might watch more YouTube videos then they have

Dude, take a deep breath and count to 10. Life is to short to get so bent over nothing.

You apparently want some sort of recognition about your vendetta regarding mechanical failures. Fine. You have succeeded. I'm pretty sure that due to your heroic efforts, everyone over the age of 6 now understands that mechanical devices can fail. Prior to yesterday this was a well kept secret that no one else ever thought of. Thank you so much for learnin us this stuff.

Dude, take a deep breath and count to 10. Life is to short to get so bent over nothing.

You apparently want some sort of recognition about your vendetta regarding mechanical failures. Fine. You have succeeded. I'm pretty sure that due to your heroic efforts, everyone over the age of 6 now understands that mechanical devices can fail. Prior to yesterday this was a well kept secret that no one else ever thought of. Thank you so much for learnin us this stuff.
Thanks stay solid ?

Funny how you didn’t say anything to the man who literally made an investigation went thru weeks of comments, highlighted copy and pasted and ultimately still my point stands. Biased much? But anyways thank you for the recognition stay solid ✌️?

My point is not everything is pilot error.
But analysis of the recorded flight data of many, many incidents has shown that the vast majority of incidents are caused by operator mistakes.

And if DJI told that man it was hardware failure then that’s what it was.
There have been quite a few cases where DJI has made warranty replacements even though the flight data showed clear operator error as the cause of the incident.
No offense but I’m sure a drone company knows more about logs them a lot of people
No offense but you really are well out of your depth, arguing things that you know little about.

Reactions: Kilrah
But analysis of the recorded flight data of many, many incidents has shown that the vast majority of incidents are caused by operator mistakes.

There have been quite a few cases where DJI has made warranty replacements even though the flight data showed clear operator error as the cause of the incident.

No offense but you really are well out of your depth, arguing things that you know little about.
Ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys