DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 survived 3 months in the woods

CaseyGuy

Reactions
This is a "crash story" with a happy ending. It attests both to the durability of DJI drones and to the high level of DJI customer service...

In September, due to pilot error, I crashed my Mavic Air 2 into 50-ft-tall trees (height confirmed with the Flight Record). I could hear its Find My Drone beeps, but the trees were in full leaf and I couldn't spot it. Even if I had, I couldn't have reached it at that height. So I had to abandon it. After a 55-mph wind storm in December, I checked to see if perhaps the wind shook my MA2 loose. Indeed, it had; I found my drone on the ground.

The visible damage: one lost propeller, one broken propeller, and a broken axis on the right rotatable arm. To my total amazement, the battery took a full charge, even after having been outdoors for 3 months. And the electronics seemed to work. I sent the MA2 to DJI Repair Service, and they confirmed that the only damage was that axis.

The cost to repair my crashed drone: $2 for the part + $65 minimum service fee + $0 shipping to DJI + $0 shipping from DJI = $67. DJI sent me a refurbished MA2 instead of repairing the crashed MA2 I'd sent them. AND the replacement MA2 was eligible for DJI Care Refresh if I wanted to take advantage of that. (I did.)

We had a warm spell, so I was able to test out the replacement MA2. Everything is working as it should. I'm very impressed with the durability of the MA2 and with the high level of DJI customer service. Everything performed w-a-y above expectations.

Attachments

• BrokenArmAxis.jpg
    BrokenArmAxis.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
Glad to hear you're up and flying again.

Your story is why I keep my owners information on the SD card should the aircraft have to spend some time in the elements and possibly wear out any stickers that may be on the outside.

If found years later, the SD card will probably still work and hopefully the RTH function will kick in from the person that found it. :D

How do you place owner info permanently on sd? as a pdf file? Short vid? Trying to figure best way to save it while deleting the rest. Formatting would remove it otherwise.
Could always do a intro each time I start a clean sd card.👋😃 or hold a sign with my ph#.
Anyways, would like to do to all mine if permanent

How do you place owner info permanently on sd? as a pdf file? Short vid? Trying to figure best way to save it while deleting the rest. Formatting would remove it otherwise.
Could always do a intro each time I start a clean sd card.👋😃 or hold a sign with my ph#.
As I understand it, formatting the micro SD card will erase all files you'd put on it previously. I don't know of a way around that. So, yes, you would need to recopy your owner's-info file to the card whenever you format the card. But, as MA2 317 pointed out, it will likely survive any crash that your drone suffers.

The file is a simple word text file that is free on most PC's.

I format the card in the PC and put the file in a OWNER'S INFORMATION folder.

It has my contact information including a link to the MavicPilots Forum.

If I format the card in the aircraft I'll lose the info.

I've been flying since 2017 and haven't had to format the card in the birds yet.

Don't laugh about taking a picture of your information. I put my information on a 3x5 card a few times and placed it in front of the camera as it blew away when I launched. :)

I keep a .txt file and a .jpg file with my contact details on my SD cards. They both have the file name "read me if found". I'm not a habitual sd card formatter, so don't have to keep copying them over.

That is such good news. Good on dji and well done you for sticking to the problem. Lost my Spark in a tree in full leaf in 2019 summer and after heavy rainstorms and strong winds, 2 weeks later someone (a tree surgeon found it) still up the tree but in good health. No need for dji to get involved. Tough little guys.

This is a "crash story" with a happy ending. It attests both to the durability of DJI drones and to the high level of DJI customer service...

In September, due to pilot error, I crashed my Mavic Air 2 into 50-ft-tall trees (height confirmed with the Flight Record). I could hear its Find My Drone beeps, but the trees were in full leaf and I couldn't spot it. Even if I had, I couldn't have reached it at that height. So I had to abandon it. After a 55-mph wind storm in December, I checked to see if perhaps the wind shook my MA2 loose. Indeed, it had; I found my drone on the ground.

The visible damage: one lost propeller, one broken propeller, and a broken axis on the right rotatable arm. To my total amazement, the battery took a full charge, even after having been outdoors for 3 months. And the electronics seemed to work. I sent the MA2 to DJI Repair Service, and they confirmed that the only damage was that axis.

The cost to repair my crashed drone: $2 for the part + $65 minimum service fee + $0 shipping to DJI + $0 shipping from DJI = $67. DJI sent me a refurbished MA2 instead of repairing the crashed MA2 I'd sent them. AND the replacement MA2 was eligible for DJI Care Refresh if I wanted to take advantage of that. (I did.)

We had a warm spell, so I was able to test out the replacement MA2. Everything is working as it should. I'm very impressed with the durability of the MA2 and with the high level of DJI customer service. Everything performed w-a-y above expectations.

I was a bit surprised at the lack of water damage too. It looks like the circuit boards have a "waterproof" lacquer on them which helps a lot. I only noticed one tiny spot of corrosion on one PCB track on my Mini after it had been out in the weather for 4 weeks.

I keep a file called If_Found.txt on my SD card and also in my Dropbox drone support files. After pulling off pictures, I’ll usually just do a quick format of the card so that I know it’s got max capacity, then put my info on it. Then before I forget, it goes back in the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO