DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[Mapping] Why would you use a single grid mapping plan vs a double grid mapping plan?

D

Deleted member 135749

I just had a question about mapping and different uses i'm sure the answer is common sense however I wanted to be sure.

Why would you use a single grid "Lawn Mower" style vs a Double Grid "Checkers board" style
What does each provide that the other wouldn't?
What is the pros and cons of each?
Why would you use one and not the other?

I am just wondering really if it makes a difference as I have ran both and both yielded same results pretty much I didn't see a big difference in the two besides how long it took.

Thanks!

Single works well if your looking for just a orthomosaic map or something with relatively flat or limited features. The double provides better overlap for point clouds and 3d modeling or more dynamic features or vertical surfaces

In most my mapping I fly it manually to get exactly what I want

Reactions: Howard70
Single works well if your looking for just a orthomosaic map or something with relatively flat or limited features. The double provides better overlap for point clouds and 3d modeling or more dynamic features or vertical surfaces

In most my mapping I fly it manually to get exactly what I want
So pretty much more buildings/trees you probably want to do double if you are getting trees in the shot too, got it thanks,

If you only want a two dimensional map they why look from two angles. One is enough.

Reactions: zeusfl
I just had a question about mapping and different uses i'm sure the answer is common sense however I wanted to be sure.

Why would you use a single grid "Lawn Mower" style vs a Double Grid "Checkers board" style
What does each provide that the other wouldn't?
What is the pros and cons of each?
Why would you use one and not the other?

I am just wondering really if it makes a difference as I have ran both and both yielded same results pretty much I didn't see a big difference in the two besides how long it took.

Thanks!
Single lane patterns are perfectly for for ortho mapping and DEMs (anything where camera is pointed directly down).
Pros, half the flight time and images.
Cons:- no oblique views so cant make a good 3D model.

Double grid are used mainly where you need to make a 3D model and need angled/oblique shots from different sides.
Pros:- you get those images
Cons:- Longer flight times, more images.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett