DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maps not caching, what am I doing wrong

Randy

Reactions
No matter how many times I try to cache maps in the background on my iPad mini 4, they will be there a couple of times, then they’re gone, I don’t understand. I have told the app to cache maps, checked that it is on several times but they keep going away.

How exactly are you attempting to cache the maps?

I have the same problem. I cache them, I can see them, they are there for my next flight (always in Airplane mode / using iPad Mini4 and the latest GO app version), and then the next time I go to fly, all maps are gone again. I must have cached and re-cached them a dozen times or more. Using latest version of everything.

I cache the maps by turning off Airplane mode (obviously) , and connecting to the internet via WIFI indoors, and opening the GO app, clicking on Enter Device, pulling up the full-screen map, and then zooming in all the way on the location I'm going to be flying and scrolling all-around, allowing it download all the detail and street names of my entire flying area. It works great - for 1 flight, then I have to do it again next time.

I'd love to hear a solution to this.

I have the same problem. I cache them, I can see them, they are there for my next flight (always in Airplane mode / using iPad Mini4 and the latest GO app version), and then the next time I go to fly, all maps are gone again. I must have cached and re-cached them a dozen times or more. Using latest version of everything.

I cache the maps by turning off Airplane mode (obviously) , and connecting to the internet via WIFI indoors, and opening the GO app, clicking on Enter Device, pulling up the full-screen map, and then zooming in all the way on the location I'm going to be flying and scrolling all-around, allowing it download all the detail and street names of my entire flying area. It works great - for 1 flight, then I have to do it again next time.

I'd love to hear a solution to this.

I’m doing exactly the same thing, i scroll around, zoom in, load them, one time they’re there, then they’re gone, frustrating! I’m not using the latest version, but from the sounds of it, that’s not going to make a difference.

I too have the same setup and use the same process with the same outcome. Watching this thread intently for the clever ones to point out the obvious.

Any idea how much time usually passes between the time you all confirm the maps are cached and notice they are no longer cached? Are all of you using Apple devices?

I am (sounds like the others are too) iPad mini 4. Usually within 48 hours from cached working and then not in my ventures. So... cache map works following outing (2 to 3 battiers) then next day no map for same spot. I will not be offended with a "your doing it wrong" reply. Thanks for the time of day msinger!

Reactions: SkySight
I thought I read some where if you turn off the ipad you will loose the maps and you will have to reload them

It sounds like to retain the map reliably you must stay in standby rather than off, and better still leave the app open.
I wonder if it's a licensing issue makes it not allowed to download maps for a wide area permanently like Android.
The behaviour when the Android App used Google Maps was similarly unpredictable though you could in theory save wide areas for offline use with a 30 day limit (then download again)

I use the iPad Mini2. When I cache the maps they usually stay in the cache until next time.
If I power up Go it is always still on the last flight location.
If for some reason the iPad lost its maps (happens sometimes) I just tether it to my cell phone and reload/cache the maps in the field.

I’m not sure whether it’s happening after I turn it off or not, I’ll try not turning it off and let you know.

When using iOS devices, I find the cached maps are sometimes not available after DJI GO is restarted. When that happens, I toggle the map type (e.g. from Standard to Hybrid), restart DJI GO, and the maps are then available.

I usually cache the maps the day before or day of my flight, so I'm not sure how many days the cached maps will remain.

Reactions: DroneDan
Does it matter if you are using an iPad mini with cellular or not? I have one with cellular (gps) on the way and am wondering if I will run into the same issues.

Does it matter if you are using an iPad mini with cellular or not?
If your iPad has an active cellular connection, you won't need to cache the maps if you fly in locations that have cellular service. The maps will download in real-time as you're flying.

I’ve reloaded them and have NOT turned the iPad off, and so far I’ve used it three times and have not lost the cached maps.

Reactions: DroneDan
If your iPad has an active cellular connection, you won't need to cache the maps if you fly in locations that have cellular service. The maps will download in real-time as you're flying.
It is a cellular model, but I am not hooking it up to a service. I got it over the wifi model for the gps.

Ah, well, you'll need to cache the maps if you want to see them.

I’ve reloaded them and have NOT turned the iPad off, and so far I’ve used it three times and have not lost the cached maps.

ok ya that what I figure was happening....turn it off and you will loose them :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31