DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavi annoyances

Wetdog

Reactions
I've been flying P3P's for about two years and decided to try the Mavic Pro as a more portable solution - realizing that portability always has some compromises. While the thing flies beautifully and the camera is fine, there are a couple of real annoyances that I'm struggling with -

1. The iPhone connection. Using a 6s, I have to remove the case every time (sort of annoying) but much more bothersome is the difficulty using the home button. It seems like there is this constant fight between being able to get into the iPhone, get into the Go app and keeping the lightning connector in place. Once it's settled in, the rig works OK but I'm always worried about losing the connection with the app at the worst possible time. The design, although admittedly slick, does not seem well thought out.

Do you all use a longer cable and another method of attaching the device? Use a different iPhone or tablet?

Related to this is

2. Poor visibility. The iPhone 6s just doesn't have a bright enough display. For the Phantoms I use an external 1000 nit monitor or goggles. Neither appears to be an option.

3. Landing and take off. I suppose I could just shut down the bottom sensors and let the thing land in my hand but I miss the landing legs on the P3. The aftermarket legs look fiddly and unstable.

The connection issue is bad enough that it has me ready to send the thing back. I'd love to hear some workarounds or tips.

I have the same problem. Working on a solution that will let me keep the otter on and still have access to home key.

Using a 6s, I have to remove the case every time (sort of annoying) but much more bothersome is the difficulty using the home button. It seems like there is this constant fight between being able to get into the iPhone, get into the Go app and keeping the lightning connector in place.
I often fly with an iPhone 7 that's in an Otterbox Symmetry case. The case does not slide into the remote controller arms, but the arms will hold the phone in place when I push them up against both sides of my phone. I use a straight Cambond Lightning cable to connect it to the USB port on the bottom of the remote controller. The only minor annoyance is that the cable hangs where I place my hand to hold the remote controller.

Depending on the thickness of your phone case, you might be able to make it fit by modding the remote controller arms like this or this.

Last edited:
I use an aftermarket mini iPad holder. You can find them on eBay for either phones,...small tablets or large tablets. Some even work for all three. Some are better than others. Most are fairly inexpensive and get the job done. In the $20 dollar price range. I have also purchased one called the MavMount. It is built pretty well but is a bit expensive. Also did not like the way the mini IPad hold actually work. So I purchased another holder to attach the the MavMount. Now I have a very easy to adjust holder that is fairy compact and rock solid. The MavMount has several different colors and styles to fit all sizes of displays.
As far as extending legs,...there are aftermarket legs that work pretty well.
All this said,...if I could do it all again,....I would be the proud owner of a P4P+. I would give up a little on range and portability. But I think stability,...photography is in an complete different league than what the Mavic can offer.

I often fly with an iPhone 7 that's in an Otterbox Symmetry case. The case does not slide into the remote controller arms, but the arms will hold the phone in place when I push them up against both sides of my phone. I use a straight Cambond Lightning cable to connect it to the USB port on the bottom of the remote controller. The only minor annoyance is that the cable hangs where I place my hand to hold the remote controller.

Depending on the thickness of your phone case, you might be able to make it fit by modding the remote controller arms like this or this.
Thanks. This is what I was looking for - to see if others had modded the controller. I think I'll hold off a bit to make sure I'm going to keep it. It's a wonderful idea, just not quite implemented well.

Reactions: spindlejockey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929