DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 buyers poll. Which one did you get?

My order status just updated to Shipped, but there are no details such as carrier or estimated delivery date. Where do I find that? (Ordered direct from DJI)

I ordered the Mavic II Zoom, with the Fly More Combo and the RE Googles. I haven't filled out the survey yet because I don't have a ship date yet, I only ordered a couple hours ago. This is my first drone too. I was all set to order the Mavic Air a week ago then heard about this release date and decided to wait.
I'm in the same boat as you.

I've been waiting a year for my 1st drone and bought the 2 Pro with RE goggles too.

I also haven't received any shipping info yet, but figured it would be here faster by ordering directly from DJI.

We will see...

Reactions: JethroXP
I suggest watching this clip before going for a purchase:

Honestly, I might be more excited about the obstacle collision features compared to my MPP than the new cameras.
However, that isn't luckily not enough to surrender to the "first adopter" instincts for now. And I love taking portrait pictures with the MPP, which I don't see possible on the new drones.

That said, I might go for the zoom, as I'm not making any professional (literally) video use and I'm not a photographer I don't see any use in the Pro, but I might be more intrigued by the new creative capabilities deriving from the Zoom optic. That said, if I were a professional (and needed a portable drone instead of an Inspire or Phantom) I would probabily buy both and yell at DJI for not making them user-replaceable.

Pro is much better. The zoom is just a gimmick feature. You will get bored of it after a couple of videos. Also, you cant make all video with zooming clips. And if you need dolly zoom effect for a clip or two, you can make it yourself in post. MP 2 camera though will serve you all the time.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Pro is much better. The zoom is just a gimmick feature. You will get bored of it after a couple of videos. Also, you cant make all video with zooming clips. And if you need dolly zoom effect for a clip or two, you can make it yourself in post. MP 2 camera though will serve you all the time.

And that's why they offer both ;-) I'm a hobbyist, not a videographer, so I don't do post processing. The Zoom appeals to me because I can get "closer" to something than I'd be comfortable or allowed to fly.

Pro is much better. The zoom is just a gimmick feature. You will get bored of it after a couple of videos.

Ever had a camcorder, (D)SLR or are you just commenting out of a smartphone experience? The zoom is what gives life to cinematic experience. Not just getting close to subjects but playing with the focal lenght.

The dolly zoom is just a narrative opportunity, nothing related to the zoom capability.

In terms of boredom I bet more on the Pro. Unless you really need super duper quality (in such case you might be owning already a Phantom, if not an Inspire).

The video says it all. If you don't film subjects you won't need the zoom, but for most of people also the pro will be overkill.

As for me, I'm already happy with the MPP and haven't yet found enough of a reason to do the guinea pig.

Also I saw confusing reviews saying that the 2 is 3dB noisier than the MPP. That would be twice as much noisier, can't be. Would be enough for a no-go.

I have two P4P's, and one Mavic pro. I don't need another drone. Going to wait. WELL, guess what? The Mavic Zoom will be here Wednesday. Got it from DJI because of the 1% back, and the priority shipping.I am so weak.

Reactions: Soft7

Attachments

• IMG_20180825_102509.jpg
    IMG_20180825_102509.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20180825_102521.jpg
    IMG_20180825_102521.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180825_111821.jpg
    IMG_20180825_111821.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20180825_112010.jpg
    IMG_20180825_112010.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: AnchorageAk
***UPDATE***

As of now, 48 members have responded to the poll.
DJI has shipped 13 out of the 48 orders; 50% were Zooms, 50% were Pros
Of the 13 shipped orders, 12 were ordered in the USA, 1 was ordered from Australia, 0 were ordered from Europe
Of the 13 shipped orders, 11 were Flymores, 2 were Flyless

If yours has been shipped, and you had previously marked it on the form as not shipped, could you please let me know here? I will change your response on the form.

Just filled out the form...add another one to the zoom column. Although I'm getting buyer's remorse over going this direction (HA!), I went with the Zoom. I'm not a pro photographer/videographer and just hobbyist, so I figured that the ability to get zoom capability in the drone as it flies trumps spending hours in post work for me. I have an original Mavic Pro that I bought at launch and I've really enjoyed flying it, but I think the improvements over the MP as a whole (improved flight time, better activetrack, APAS, zoom, higher bitrates, etc.) make the upgrade finally worth it for me. I'm going to try to sell my MP and recoup a little bit of the investment.

Reactions: Former Member
Just filled out the form...add another one to the zoom column. Although I'm getting buyer's remorse over going this direction (HA!), I went with the Zoom. I'm not a pro photographer/videographer and just hobbyist, so I figured that the ability to get zoom capability in the drone as it flies trumps spending hours in post work for me. I have an original Mavic Pro that I bought at launch and I've really enjoyed flying it, but I think the improvements over the MP as a whole (improved flight time, better activetrack, APAS, zoom, higher bitrates, etc.) make the upgrade finally worth it for me. I'm going to try to sell my MP and recoup a little bit of the investment.

You might want to hold on to your MP for a while until you decide that the Zoom was the way to go, and not the Pro. You could sell the Zoom at a very small profit or loss at this point since they are very hard to get.

Well I was finally lucky enough to buy a Mavic 2 Zoom today from our store with my employee discount we get! :D Really looking forward to flying it over the long weekend. I couldn't justify the Pro and also we are too heavily backordered on the Pro and I want to fly a 2 this weekend! So, Zoom is was. I can always buy the Pro camera in a few weeks and outfit my current craft with the Pro camera. Stoked. :cool:

Well I was finally lucky enough to buy a Mavic 2 Zoom today from our store with my employee discount we get! :D Really looking forward to flying it over the long weekend. I couldn't justify the Pro and also we are too heavily backordered on the Pro and I want to fly a 2 this weekend! So, Zoom is was. I can always buy the Pro camera in a few weeks and outfit my current craft with the Pro camera. Stoked. :cool:
Do you know what the charge is for changing the M2Z camera to the M2P camera?

I can't see why anyone would buy a Zoom over the Pro. The Pro will have TANGIBLY better image quality at all times, especially in low light, 10bit video etc, better photos EVERY shot, adjustable aperture (a huge one!). If you really need to zoom, just move the drone forward. That's the joy of being in the AIR!

The Pro is the better camera setup, without question.

From the videos I have seen the Zoom looks pretty much on Par with the Pro1. My guess is that DJI will phase out the Pro1 and drop the price on the zoom in the future. I doubt the Pro2 will drop in price anytime soon so in several months you might have a $400 price difference between the two models and that is what will make the zoom look more attractive. For now DJI is just milking it until the orders slow down.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54