DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Precision Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every once in awhile a forum topic will get started, and for some reason or another, things start getting out of hand. And sometimes it results in hard feelings. I simply hate it when topics start getting that way. You can just feel it coming. It tastes worse to me than over smoked meat.

A recent article in the Detroit Free Press hit home in this area. It was an article by Angela Hill entitled Nastiness on the Net . In her article Angela discussed "electronic shouting matches".

Contributors to the article have said -
"You're always going to have someone who doesn't like what you do or say. But I can't believe if they were standing here looking at me they would say something so vile as they do."
"Since the dawn of electronic communication, mean people have trolled the world of the Web, taking personal jabs at total strangers about everything from politics and movie to recipes and knitting circles, making outrageous, hurtful and sometimes bullying remarks--especially under the cover of anonymity. But why do we get so mean just because we can't be seen?"
"We behave in a different way when online. It's as if you're wearing a cloak or a mask and, well, you can get away with it."
"Psychologist call it deindividuation. When in a mask or uniform or group, you cease to recognize even yourself as an individual and therefore don't see others that way, either, don't see how you're hurting someone."
Try a little kindness.
"Even Facebook has been exploring new ways to reduce online conflicts and cyber bullying with kinder, gentler language on various aspects of the site."

Anyone else try calibrating the IMU in their car to increase the GPS accuracy?

My goodness.
I'm sorta new to the forum.
There are certainly some folks here that have a real "Agenda"
Absolutely. As with most social media, you have to sift through the mounds of garbage to find the useful, thoughtful information. And unfortunately, for whatever reason, this forum seems to be at a 10 to 1 ratio. We have a lot of "know it alls" with zero class, tact, or civil ways of expressing themselves.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Agenda. No. Education. Possibly
The op provided what he thought was valid information based on a YouTube video. It was a bit of a challenge to change his mind and I’m not convinced that it was successful and may have ruffled someone’s feathers in that process. I’ve never shy away from a challenge. Some of everyone’s relatives were dealing with a little challenge several years ago in the Boston area over some tea. If we sat on our hands, the leader of the free country could very well be wearing a robe and a crown.

Hostility no. Shock, yes. Calibrating a compass every flight, total waste of time. But, if we were all the same, think how boring the world would be. Don’t change on my account.
Well, then you're easily shocked. How much do you know about electronics? Have any training?

Go back to the elementary training videos, at DJI, and Compass Calibration is stressed as good practice, which is only logical, since the compass is affected by nearby masses of magnetic metals, or fluctuations in the magnetic field, even the amount of iron in the soil. Even though your quad may have no changes, all these other variables change from place to place. I don't take any unnecessary chances with my expensive drone. Calibration is SUCH any easy task, and is NO trouble to me, at all. It's well worth the piece of mind. Why do you think real pilots do checklists and are constantly checking instruments and doing visual inspections? You're talking to an USAF Veteran.

Sorry guys but more than half the pages on this topic talk about IMU calibration, what happened to post title, let’s discuss PL.

PL definitely works on my MPZ and the updates, drone and controller, all worked using assistant 2 and my PC. I updated the go 4 app on my iOS devices by going to App Store on my iOS device and searching for DJI go 4, it then indicated an update was available.
Only done 4 PLs so far and much much better. However, one was off by about 12 inches but the light was fading. Points I’ve noted are as follows:
During one PL I got a quick glimpse of a notification on the screen saying something like “precision landing acquiring landing point” haven’t seen it again but could be as I was watching drone.
Also, on the one landing that was out by 12 inches the drone didn’t turn onto original take-off heading, whereas it did on the other 3 during the descent, maybe for some reason this was not a PL? Possible due to fading light?
Also, some of these PLs were after an auto take off and some manual. I say this as a previous post showed a screenshot of auto take off with a PL box select option, so does PL14 3ND only work following an aut T/O? (BTW I like the use of the word “preciously” LOL)

One point I’ve learnt is if doing some trials, use the same technique to compare like for like before changing some parameters and repeating.

Cheers guys, enjoy the feature or enjoy not using it, whatever!!

Sorry guys but more than half the pages on this topic talk about IMU calibration, what happened to post title, let’s discuss PL.

PL definitely works on my MPZ and the updates, drone and controller, all worked using assistant 2 and my PC. I updated the go 4 app on my iOS devices by going to App Store on my iOS device and searching for DJI go 4, it then indicated an update was available.
Only done 4 PLs so far and much much better. However, one was off by about 12 inches but the light was fading. Points I’ve noted are as follows:
During one PL I got a quick glimpse of a notification on the screen saying something like “precision landing acquiring landing point” haven’t seen it again but could be as I was watching drone.
Also, on the one landing that was out by 12 inches the drone didn’t turn onto original take-off heading, whereas it did on the other 3 during the descent, maybe for some reason this was not a PL? Possible due to fading light?
Also, some of these PLs were after an auto take off and some manual. I say this as a previous post showed a screenshot of auto take off with a PL box select option, so does PL14 3ND only work following an aut T/O? (BTW I like the use of the word “preciously” LOL)

One point I’ve learnt is if doing some trials, use the same technique to compare like for like before changing some parameters and repeating.

Cheers guys, enjoy the feature or enjoy not using it, whatever!!

Here you go there’s a similar thread to this one but it’s PL at night time.

Precision Landing At Night?

Another interesting thread;)

Reactions: fozzzy
So contrary to the stacks and stacks of comments and reviews i,ve seen about how people are miffed Precision Landing has still yet to be added in firmware, I have had the M2Pro up most of the afternoon and each of the 6 or so times it’s landed it has been within 10cms of take off on the pad. The only thing I did different today was calibrated the IMU before heading out. Now I understand why people would like to see PL added to M2 firmware but surely that’s accurate enough for anyone?
The one thing I have confirmed today is upgrading from the Mavic Air was definitely the right thing to do, I absolutely love this thing [emoji7][emoji7]
Do

Does anybody know if precision landing works for Mavic Air?
Thanks

Update.

Just done another quick test flight. My M2Z would only PL following an auto T/O. Did 4 trips 2 auto and 2 manual T/O fly away 500ft and the press RTH. The 2 landings following auto T/O landed within an inch and on original heading. The 2 landings follow manual T/O were about 18 inches out and on the heading of the RTH.

Can anyone else confirm this, is PL only available following auto T/O? Or is there another way of selecting it?

Cheers

I might be wrong Jasper43 (it happens often), but I believe that's designed behavior. The only time that you can select the option to record Precision information is upon auto takeoff to my knowledge.

Precision landing location is recorded upon take off similar to my spark. It is different on my P4P where you have to select an option available on auto take off only. P4P can still do precision landing without taking option if you take off slow vertical to above 5 meters enough time to save image of landing spot.

Haven’t seen the option box on M2Z auto T/O yet such as shown in post 67! I suppose at some point the destructions will be added to the operating instruction manual.

Update.

Just done another quick test flight. My M2Z would only PL following an auto T/O. Did 4 trips 2 auto and 2 manual T/O fly away 500ft and the press RTH. The 2 landings following auto T/O landed within an inch and on original heading. The 2 landings follow manual T/O were about 18 inches out and on the heading of the RTH.

Can anyone else confirm this, is PL only available following auto T/O? Or is there another way of selecting it?

Cheers
Tested today. One auto takeoff, no note of precision on screen(I have seen it once) rth to within inches.
One manual takeoff, up to 6 feet, sit for 5 seconds, rth to home within inches. Both flights were over 1000 distance.

My 10x RTH test consisted of 1 auto take off and 9 manual take offs with different heights. All landed inside 32 inch helipad. Try slow vertical takeoff at the same height as auto take off. My homepoint gets recorded as soon as I reach above 2 feet. It helps to have a landing pad with a pattern.

My 10x RTH test consisted of 1 auto take off and 9 manual take offs with different heights. All landed inside 32 inch helipad. Try slow vertical takeoff at the same height as auto take off. My homepoint gets recorded as soon as I reach above 2 feet. It helps to have a landing pad with a pattern.

The Mavic 2 manual hasn't yet been updated, but the Mavic 1 manual implies that it would work with manual takeoff:

1543281488223.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J