DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Precision Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So contrary to the stacks and stacks of comments and reviews i,ve seen about how people are miffed Precision Landing has still yet to be added in firmware, I have had the M2Pro up most of the afternoon and each of the 6 or so times it’s landed it has been within 10cms of take off on the pad. The only thing I did different today was calibrated the IMU before heading out. Now I understand why people would like to see PL added to M2 firmware but surely that’s accurate enough for anyone?
The one thing I have confirmed today is upgrading from the Mavic Air was definitely the right thing to do, I absolutely love this thing [emoji7][emoji7]

It's more likely to have PL if the takeoff location includes somewhat unique imagery with good contrast. The bottom sensor/camera snaps a picture and uses it for a final landing position. GPS is not that precise.

My opinion on this matter is very mixed. I personally dont think PL is coming and whoever mentioned it is full of crap. I will say even on the MP1 it was not always very reliable, when it worked it worked great, but if you left it without monitoring, you could very easily find your drone attempting to land on some trees nearby. I also found it took too long to land when I could land it much faster. For those reasons I didnt use it often. Still nice to have and I dont see why DJI removed it in the first place.

I dont use OA either, doesnt mean it should also be removed.
well, as of 11/22 precision landing is here. Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: Bobby Brown
You are confusing the IMU with the compass.
And you've somehow confused calibrating the compass with setting a home point (which has nothing at all to do with the compass).
There's no need to recalibrate the compass because you move 25 miles or even 2500 miles.

You have to realise that there's a great deal of misunderstanding, myth and ignorance about the compass and what calibrating it actually does or when it might be needed.
Nonsense.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
No there isn't I have had my mavic two years and a year for the spark i calibrated both out of the box and have never done it since!!! both AC have hundreds of flights.. Why would you ever think that?
Wait until your first flyaway.

Did my firmware update this morning and made four flights

The PL landed my M2P within 3-4” inches each time. I placed a pebble in front of the camera prior to lift off. Also, windy day here, Drone was moving 2-3’ as landing was taking place. Last ten feet or so honed in and landed

Some of you guys whine too much! Just go fly and enjoy

Reactions: fozzzy and Jorgeo65
So contrary to the stacks and stacks of comments and reviews i,ve seen about how people are miffed Precision Landing has still yet to be added in firmware, I have had the M2Pro up most of the afternoon and each of the 6 or so times it’s landed it has been within 10cms of take off on the pad. The only thing I did different today was calibrated the IMU before heading out. Now I understand why people would like to see PL added to M2 firmware but surely that’s accurate enough for anyone?
The one thing I have confirmed today is upgrading from the Mavic Air was definitely the right thing to do, I absolutely love this thing [emoji7][emoji7]
IMU discussion from the DJI forum:
IMU Calibration Tips & Info

Reactions: spaceweasel
I updated firmware and tested precision landing on a 32” helipad. I did 10 precision landings and hit the helipad each time. It didnt however hit the center which is the takeoff mark. As long as all four legs are on the helipad, it is good enough for me. I am still on factory calibration. I only use precision landing to test compass. My manual landing is more precise than DJI.

Reactions: fozzzy
I use RTH 99% of the time and its always within 400mm which i think is pretty good after travelling 1km away.
i made up a landing pad using plastic bin lids taped together and that helps me a bit

Reactions: fozzzy
No, and I don't intend to. I calibrate, every flight.
Yea def bad practice....what is your need to do it every flight? I have had my dji drones forever each one got calibrated once when i got them....no flyaways. So lets see my p4 almost 2.5 years old p4p 1.5 , mavic pro, 1.5 spark 1 , and my mavic air 8 months...i dont calibrate....if the app doesnt ask or u see no anomolys why are u doing it

Reactions: Porky
I have read more that think not than think do. Maybe my info is incorrect. Not faulting anyone. Just thought it was odd that there were no indicators that said there was a problem.

Dude, are you dense, or just a troll? Obviously, he benefited from calibrating the IMU to improve landing precision. Just roll with it and stop arguing about whether or not a fault necessitated it. This is a perfect example of why people detest online communities like this.

Yea def bad practice....what is your need to do it every flight? if the app doesnt ask or u see no anomolys why are u doing it

The OP has already explained why he did it and the results he got from it. Simply because you "think" it's bad practice is pure opinion -- and barely informed at that. And we all know what they say about opinions.

The OP has already explained why he did it and the results he got from it. Simply because you "think" it's bad practice is pure opinion -- and barely informed at that. And we all know what they say about opinions.

Correctly calibrated wont harm it but what can happen if you calibrate everytime is increase your chances of a bad calibration if you perform the procedure over somewhere where metal may be present but you're not aware of, (e.g. Rebar in concrete). It's important to understand why you should or shouldn't calibrate every flight.

On the Air/Mavic 2 I believe the drone now has a feature that will prompt a re-calibration every 30 days now regardless of the condition of the compass.

Reactions: Mike4884
Dude, are you dense, or just a troll? Obviously, he benefited from calibrating the IMU to improve landing precision. Just roll with it and stop arguing about whether or not a fault necessitated it. This is a perfect example of why people detest online communities like this.

Not to add too much, but an IMU calibration has absolutely nothing to do with precision landing. Anyone who understands how an IMU works should know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctiptonk