DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro 4K Dlog-M Grade Test

chomskyan

Reactions
I flew in Elysian Park near Downtown LA the other day, shot some 4k footage and graded it last night. Thought some of you would like to see it!

3840x2160
29.97 fps
Dlog-M
Standard profile

Colored in Premiere Pro.

Still waitin on those Polarpros :(

Hmmm. That's very interesting.

No disrespect at all to your filming and grading efforts, but I was hoping that would look a bit better than that. Don't get me wrong - I am not being critical for critical's sake, but I am seriously considering getting that model myself, so I am being ultra analytical about example footage I see from it. Thanks for posting it by the way - very helpful to people like me...

Perhaps it's down to the haziness of the day, but I'm noticing that trees are rather fuzzy and unclear in places, and I'm not quite getting the depth and punchiness of colour I was hoping for here. Also not sure I am seeing the increased dynamic range of 10-bit - may I ask what your output settings were ?

Reactions: 4wd

No disrespect at all to your filming and grading efforts, but I was hoping that would look a bit better than that. Don't get me wrong - I am not being critical for critical's sake, but I am seriously considering getting that model myself, so I am being ultra analytical about example footage I see from it. Thanks for posting it by the way - very helpful to people like me...

Perhaps it's down to the haziness of the day, but I'm noticing that trees are rather fuzzy and unclear in places, and I'm not quite getting the depth and punchiness of colour I was hoping for here. Also not sure I am seeing the increased dynamic range of 10-bit - may I ask what your output settings were ?

That would be the lovely LA smog :)

Focus seems soft on one shot in particular, I think it's operator-error.

The ungraded footage looks real dreary. The latitude (DR) I got with the subpar shots I took is pretty wild, especially compared to the Mavic 1.

Keep in mind that video has been tossed through YouTube compression, it looks much nicer offline (probably on Vimeo, too).

Premiere output settings:

3840x2160
H.264
CBR 100 Mbps
Profile: High10
Level: 5.2
Render at max depth

Output size of that file was 905mb.

Reactions: AeroJ

I also went as far as I could with the blacks, they still got crushed a little bit in the graded image below.

Here's what the footage looked like ungraded vs graded:

STMzrgP.png

graded_M2_P.png

Last edited:
Did you use sharpening in post? Im guessing not. DLOG requires sharpening as well as grading to be useful.

The dLOG is very similar to Sony sLOG2 and a lot of free LUTs for that work quite well.
If you bump in camera sharpness to +1 you won't need sharpen when editing.

Ah OK, yes THIS is what I was expecting it to look like :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000