DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Best Drone

Rogerc

Reactions
Can’t believe how much better the M2P is compared to the newer drones for my needs. I can’t believe people are running to buy the latest and greatest when the M2P is a fantastic drone and more than capable of the newer drones. No way points, I don’t get near the range. And honestly can’t tell an improvement in pictures or video on the new drones.

The M3 has a sensor that supposedly gives better dynamic range and (important for me) better low light sensitivity (lower noise).

But it at a cost of a) much money and b) fewer features, and c) while the newer sensor has advantages, it still is the same pixel count as the M2P. Even if DJI were to suddenly toss in all of the promised capabilities and features that were missing on release, the standard controller is subpar and there's no ATTI flying mode (not even with hack).

I'm a photographer who would love the better camera, but the cost is prohibitive (especially adding in all the extras such as batteries, props, filters, etc.) for just that, only to find that this long after release, they're still having problems updating the M3 with promised features and fixing other issues (I don't know if the GPS is fixed for all yet or not because I left that forum).

Chris

I cannot tell you how many times I have the Perfect Picture in Video and when I go to the Picture mode , the framed shot of the storm is completely different .

Both on the Air 2S and Mavic 2 Pro and so I would many times use the Mini 2 to because it has the ability to Zoom in Picture mode and get the framed shot. Very frustrating .

Along comes the Mavic 3 that has zoom in picture mode and allows me to Frame the Shot much closer to what the Video was showing and that was huge. Add that with the extra battery time to compose , think, and tryout different heights and that Mavic 3 starts to pull ahead some.

I miss the Supersize Picture on the Mavic 2 Zoom and wish the Mavic 3 had that feature as well , as the panos are not quite the same.

As far as picture quality , the Mavic 3 has the edge. but its all the other things that made it nicer.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain.
land on the Water.

Reactions: Droniac
Can’t believe how much better the M2P is compared to the newer drones for my needs. I can’t believe people are running to buy the latest and greatest when the M2P is a fantastic drone and more than capable of the newer drones. No way points, I don’t get near the range. And honestly can’t tell an improvement in pictures or video on the new drones.
Agreed.As a stills photographer I was waiting on a 4/3 sensor but with all the shortcomings of the 3 I am sticking with the 2 Pro.After losing a drone several months ago,after replacement,I decided to buy a backup body like I have for my DSLR.

Can’t believe how much better the M2P is compared to the newer drones for my needs.
Key words there are "for my needs". While the M2P is certainly a good camera, and the stalwart of my fleet until late last year, it's not as good as the M3 in terms of image quality. The dynamic range of the M3 and the low light capabilities are much better than the M2P. Unless you're only worried about social media posts, the cameras don't compare.

I can’t believe people are running to buy the latest and greatest when the M2P is a fantastic drone and more than capable of the newer drones. No way points, I don’t get near the range.
Way points are coming, if not already there. Once SDK is released, apps like Litchi and others will have waypoint capabilities. DJI did release the M3 too early in my opinion. Range shouldn't be an issue, because you're supposed to maintain VLOS.
And honestly can’t tell an improvement in pictures or video on the new drones.
Then you haven't really checked. Or, you're not worried about providing the best image possible to your clients. Or, you a hobbyist and quite happy with your M2P. As you should be. As I said, it's a good drone. I had 100s of hours on mine.

But the M3 is a better drone as far as the camera goes. There isn't a realistic argument otherwise.

I agree, I currently have the Mavic 2 Zoom but have had the Pro as well. The Mavic 2 as well as some of the the other older drones also work very well with Litchi for waypoint missions. I know there are many folks that need the "latest and greatest", sometimes even selling their old one in anticipation of the next one coming out. I'll stick with my Mavic 2 till their is some compelling reason to get something different.

Key words there are "for my needs". While the M2P is certainly a good camera, and the stalwart of my fleet until late last year, it's not as good as the M3 in terms of image quality. The dynamic range of the M3 and the low light capabilities are much better than the M2P. Unless you're only worried about social media posts, the cameras don't compare.

Way points are coming, if not already there. Once SDK is released, apps like Litchi and others will have waypoint capabilities. DJI did release the M3 too early in my opinion. Range shouldn't be an issue, because you're supposed to maintain VLOS.

Then you haven't really checked. Or, you're not worried about providing the best image possible to your clients. Or, you a hobbyist and quite happy with your M2P. As you should be. As I said, it's a good drone. I had 100s of hours on mine.

But the M3 is a better drone as far as the camera goes. There isn't a realistic argument otherwise.
Mostly agree Vic but the Mavic 2 Pro is capable of many things that require better image quality than needed by social media.I fly an M2 Pro and shoot with an Olympus Micro 4/3 mirrorless.I've not had an issue enlarging M2P shots to 16x20 or 20x24.Agree that low light or high dynamic range shots can be somewhat better on the 3.I was lusting for it but was put off by the incomplete yet unit put out by DJI.

Mostly agree Vic but the Mavic 2 Pro is capable of many things that require better image quality than needed by social media.I fly an M2 Pro and shoot with an Olympus Micro 4/3 mirrorless.I've not had an issue enlarging M2P shots to 16x20 or 20x24.Agree that low light or high dynamic range shots can be somewhat better on the 3.I was lusting for it but was put off by the incomplete yet unit put out by DJI.
I have no need for the auto shots, for me it's all about the image quality. So it was a no brainer for me to replace my fleet with Mavic 3s. It as time for my to replace the drones anyway, so the upgrade was a simple decisoin.

It was a pain at times, but worth it. GPS was the main issue.

My ground video rigs are based on the Olympus GH5 bodies too. So the M4/3 is a good match for me as well when matching the look of aerial and ground.

I love my M2P but with upcoming regulations cause of weight, I am forced to buy a lighter drone to shoot cityscapes and architecture unfortunately.

Besides that, the M2P is a great bird and something DJI won't release in this manner anymore.
Back then, they needed to set their feet on the consumer market a lot more I am afraid.

I love my Mavic2 Pro with Smart Controller to bits. It is the best video drone I have ever owned. Would I love the Mavic 3 Pro? Obviously, but it is way out of my league price wise. If my M2P ever stops working, I'll probably be looking at the Mavic Air 2s successor, but I will hold off until the CE marking stuff has settled down. Until then, I'll be happy with my M2P.

Is there any place I could download DNG files from a comparison of the M2P and M3? I am interested in it but with my workflow, have produced a ton of great work with the M2P and see that only being improved upon slightly with the M3 even with it's better DR and low light.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15