DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro flipped over on back (after calibration of sensors)

• Thread starter Deleted member 119592
  • Start date
The M2P does not have a 360 obstacle avoidance. And even if it did, it would be poor judgment to totally rely on it.
Not sure about "Poor judgment". DJI sell hard on this feature. You should be able to trust in it somewhat. If drone crashed into a steel obstacle surely propellers would have shattered all over the place. Instead, drone recovered and flew home. Not a mark on drone or propellers.

Not sure about "Poor judgment". DJI sell hard on this feature. You should be able to trust in it somewhat. If drone crashed into a steel obstacle surely propellers would have shattered all over the place. Instead, drone recovered and flew home. Not a mark on drone or propellers.
I don't mean any offense but I stand by what I said; I think relying on an automated obstacle avoidance system to save your drone is not wise at all. You are the pilot, you should be in control at all times.

Reactions: ssvdh66
Side motions are risky. Forward and back sensors are safes and I'm not sure but up and down as well. Side sensors works only in tripod mode or when drone fallow you.

This can be checked when you trying to land close to something. Forward or back sensors don't give you enough room if you try to land close to something. Then just turn drone to side and you're land

...was under the impression there were supposed to be sensors all around the drone to warn, stop and hover if things got too tight
...there are no physical damages to the drone nor propellers.
... "The log indicates that both Obstacle Avoidance & Obstacle Avoidance RTH was inactive ... sure you had them activated? "
Yeah ... I wrote "indicate" about the logs saying that OA was inactive as I didn't quite relied on that ... but you screen shoot from GO4 says they are on so Thumbswayup ...

But ... if you are flying under the impression that the DJI Vision system always will correct your flight path how ever wrong you command it & just let you "bounce" away from all existing obstacles ... then I too, with no offence, can call that poor judgement & a victim of marketing.

Everything points to that you side crashed into something "thinner" like that scaffold seen in the crash moment further below, it just snagged your M2 luckily, turned it around without smashing the props or scuff the drone body.

So if you read off the user manual ... (read more about the total vision system from page 20 in the manual).

1583841981246.png

Here you have Google Earth view of what's seen in you vid during the crash ... same blue cabinet shown in both pictures, & a scaffold. You probably went side ways in under the concrete foundation, just missing the outer corner, & the M2 got hooked by what you see in the lower pic (which I have turned around 180 degrees from your vid.)

1583843166839.png

The M2 crash started first with a roll, reaching 150 degrees to the right (nearly up side down), nearly at the same time it pitch 10 degrees down, 25 up followed by a longer 65 degrees down. The M2's Yaw changed then just micro seconds later rapidly by 124 degrees CCW ... all this indicates that it got caught rather then flatsided into something (front leg landing foot perhaps).

1583844180855.png

However, it does say that no special permit is needed for drones weighing up to 7 kg. I think the Mavic 2 weighs 0.9 kg. And I wasn't flying much above 6 m when I had the accident...

Then again ... you apparently disobeyed at least 2 drone regulations during this flight, you didn't fly within visual line of sight & you reached above 84m in an max 50m AGL zone.

1583843707448.png

Reactions: GarthH
Day after calibrating sensors I flew under a bridge, when drone flipped over on back (video frame show leg upside down relative ground). I suspect I backed too close to structure. This happened at 6m height and without any warning. No visible marks on drone or propellers suggest a physical contact. Could calibrating backward sensors have failed? I am not sure I dare fly drone .

.seeing your clip it was doing sideway flight when it made contact . Happened to me this teaching me never use side flight only in a hover. Did your radar come on at all

I had my Mavic2pro since release, I fly almost every day, a week ago I was doing a dronie and the drone flipped on its back briefly and flipped back to normal, freaked me out, I will say there was a power line I was flying over, I think the sensor had a malfunction, no matter all is well

All OA is disabled in sport mode. You didn't happen to be in that mode, were you?

Side sensors are active only in certain modes, such as tripod mode. They are mono-optic so they don't have good depth perception and so not as reliable as the front-back ones.

There's an indicator at the top center of the screen that shows the OA status when in flight.

If you have the OA "radar" turned off, turn it on. Otherwise you only get the sounder from the app and vibration from RC as obstacle indicator. If you have your phone volume down, you lose lots of audible clues.

I had my Mavic2pro since release, I fly almost every day, a week ago I was doing a dronie and the drone flipped on its back briefly and flipped back to normal, freaked me out, I will say there was a power line I was flying over, I think the sensor had a malfunction, no matter all is well
It's not unusual for the OA to not see a power line. Small branches will also be missed. Neither of these is a flaw.

I'm thinking you hit the power line. I flew my drone, in open country, past a tree in sport mode. I was paying more attention to my screen than the drone and saw nothing out of the ordinary and thought I was well clear of the tree. When I viewed the video it was clear that I was going to hit the tree and did hit the tree. the drone appeared to do at least one roll. There was not a mark on the drone ..a Mavic Air ..after the flight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52