DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro has No 4k 60fps...why?

baddog

Reactions
Site
www.drone-scapes.com
I am curious as to why DJI, would release the Mavic Pro 2, with its fancy hasselblad, 1 inch sensor, camera without the ability to shoot 4K @ 60 fps. I wanted to do some slow motion, cinematography quality, work with my drone. I need a small compact drone, so I can hike to the places I need to get to, without having to carry a suit case full of drone equipment. I would also like the ability to shoot 4k @ 60fps and then in post, bring it down to 30fps for weddings and other luxury type video like high end real estate footage.

Just looking for peoples thoughts on why DJI would omit this feature on the Mavic 2 Pro? Do you think it was a marketing strategy, so they could launch a Phantom 5 with that capability or maybe just force people, who want this capability, to purchase an Inspire?

Thanks In Advance...

Reactions: Lucky
I am curious as to why DJI, would release the Mavic Pro 2, with its fancy hasselblad, 1 inch sensor, camera without the ability to shoot 4K @ 60 fps. I wanted to do some slow motion, cinematography quality, work with my drone. I need a small compact drone, so I can hike to the places I need to get to, without having to carry a suit case full of drone equipment. I would also like the ability to shoot 4k @ 60fps and then in post, bring it down to 30fps for weddings and other luxury type video like high end real estate footage.

Just looking for peoples thoughts on why DJI would omit this feature on the Mavic 2 Pro? Do you think it was a marketing strategy, so they could launch a Phantom 5 with that capability or maybe just force people, who want this capability, to purchase an Inspire?

Thanks In Advance...
None of DJI's consumer drones offer 4K @ 60fps on H.265 you have to drop down to H.264 on the P4P and P4A. I believe it's partially a heat issue. Filming 4K @ 30fps heats things up quite a bit as it is. I think also DJI is purposely leaving a gap between their professional line and consumer line. 2.7k @ 60fps looks pretty good IMHO. Most of my handheld and Ronin SC stuff is shot at 2.7k and even 1080 @60fps.

Last edited:
None of DJI's consumer drones offer 4K @ 60fps. I believe it's partially a heat issue. Filming 4K @ 30fps heats things up quite a bit as it is. I think also DJI is purposely leaving a gap between their professional line and consumer line. 2.7k @ 60fps looks pretty good IMHO. Most of my handheld and Ronin SC stuff is shot at 2.7k and even 1080 @60fps.
Actually the Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced, and P4P V2 all shoot in 4K 60fps. 50106E8D-690F-4981-AA90-C6769C39A43D.jpeg
But you are likely correct with the M2Pro that it could be a heat issue. Honestly, it’s super disappointing and even more so that DJI discontinued the Phantom. I won’t say you can’t get Professional grade video from the M2 because I’ve seen some but not having the flexibility of 60fps really limits what you can do in post. It’s unfortunate.

Honestly, it doesn't seem worth it to have anyway. I'll probably get ripped for this, but 4K30 is just fine. In fact, you have to have 4K30 on the GoPro for Superview. Superview isn't available at 4K60. We also have a wide angle so it kind of makes sense I suppose.

Reactions: dannybgoode
None of DJI's consumer drones offer 4K @ 60fps. I believe it's partially a heat issue. Filming 4K @ 30fps heats things up quite a bit as it is. I think also DJI is purposely leaving a gap between their professional line and consumer line. 2.7k @ 60fps looks pretty good IMHO. Most of my handheld and Ronin SC stuff is shot at 2.7k and even 1080 @60fps.

Wow, I really thought they prosumer drones like phantom 4 Pro V2 offered 4k @ 60fps. I have been schooled...LOL. Thanks for the info.

Honestly, it doesn't seem worth it to have anyway. I'll probably get ripped for this, but 4K30 is just fine. In fact, you have to have 4K30 on the GoPro for Superview. Superview isn't available at 4K60. We also have a wide angle so it kind of makes sense I suppose.
You cannot do high quality slow motion shots of wildlife or weddings, shooting 4k @ 30fps. Plus, when you take 4k @ 60fps and downgrade it to 30fps in post production, it is really smooth. It is really good for weddings and luxury real estate footage.

Actually the Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced, and P4P V2 all shoot in 4K 60fps. View attachment 82392
But you are likely correct with the M2Pro that it could be a heat issue. Honestly, it’s super disappointing and even more so that DJI discontinued the Phantom. I won’t say you can’t get Professional grade video from the M2 because I’ve seen some but not having the flexibility of 60fps really limits what you can do in post. It’s unfortunate.
This is a good reply and the point I was trying to make. I am not sure about the heat issue though. Why would it be any different for the Mavic Pro 2 than on the Phantom 4 line? Phantom 4 line weighs more than Mavic Pro 2, so payload lift is more for the phantom but the camera housing are about the same. But I am know expert in the slightest bit when it come to the electronics and cameras on these drones, so there is that...LOL

My Phantom 4 Pro had 4K 60fps....

Shoot 2.7k and be done with it

Your last comment sentence, kind of defeats the point of my question, when the job requirement for the client requires 4k drone footage. Must match ground based cameras.

Unfortunately you really don't have any other options unless you want to buy another drone. You need the MP only shoot 4K 30 when you bought it right?

Another option....

Shoot at 2.7, import it 2.7 output at 4K. Unless your viewing it side by side comparing 2.7 to 4K on a big screen TV almost no one will notice. I shoot 4k almost all the time. Not because I need 4k output but it allows me to crop and enlarge

Well, I guess you then either have to wait for the Mavic 3 or buy the Inspire 2 or the older P4P.
The Mavic is still the intersection of portability and quality. ;)
Yeah...? That's exactly my delima. I really need/want 4K @ 60fps but I hike sometimes, 5 to 6 hours in the Adirondacks and portability is key. The last thing I want to do is carry a suitcase. So hopefully Mavic 3 Pro is on its way in 2020. Cause I am not carrying an inspire or even a phantom up this..LOL

19-Climbing-big-rocks-now.jpg

Yeah...? That's exactly my delima. I really need/want 4K @ 60fps but I hike sometimes, 5 to 6 hours in the Adirondacks and portability is key. The last thing I want to do is carry a suitcase. So hopefully Mavic 3 Pro is on its way in 2020. Cause I am not carrying an inspire or even a phantom up this..LOL

View attachment 82400

Ah, I thought you had it already. You have some options then

@baddog
I can understand.
I've waited for the M2P a long time, but I only take pictures, rarely videos, so it suits my needs just fine. Could never be bothered to take a large case on my trips.

I would assume, the successor to have 4K@60 fps though.

You could just get the Autel Evo drone, that shoots at four K at six at 4K at 60 frames per second.

Reactions: Peio64270
@baddog
I can understand.
I've waited for the M2P a long time, but I only take pictures, rarely videos, so it suits my needs just fine. Could never be bothered to take a large case on my trips.

I would assume, the successor to have 4K@60 fps though.
I just don't understand why DJI would have put that limit on the M2P. Especially if they were going to phase out the Phantom 4 Pro. It has got to be a marketing strategy/technique. I doubt very highly it is a hardware limitation. SO hopefully a perfect storm will happen in 2020... Mavic 3 with 4k @ 60fps will be released and the tariffs are dropped on china made products...here's hoping

You could just get the Autel Evo drone, that shoots at four K at six at 4K at 60 frames per second.
I hear you, really I do. The drone network that I fly 80% of my work on, only allows DJI Drones...I guess for consistency. I have always wanted to submit my work using another drone, just to see if they even notice. However, this is my bread and butter. I am making about $3k to $4K a month thru them.

Reactions: drewdrones
I just don't understand why DJI would have put that limit on the M2P. Especially if they were going to phase out the Phantom 4 Pro. It has got to be a marketing strategy/technique. I doubt very highly it is a hardware limitation. SO hopefully a perfect storm will happen in 2020... Mavic 3 with 4k @ 60fps will be released and the tariffs are dropped on china made products...here's hoping

Most people shooting 4K are doing 30fps all day long. 60 would be helpful for slowing down the action but you don't really get that great of an effect until you get to 120 and above. Keep in mind 4K 60fps files are huge

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78