DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro has No 4k 60fps...why?

I hear you, really I do. The drone network that I fly 80% of my work on, only allows DJI Drones...I guess for consistency. I have always wanted to submit my work using another drone, just to see if they even notice. However, this is my bread and butter. I am making about $3k to $4K a month thru them.

Why would it matter what platform anyone is using?

Most people shooting 4K are doing 30fps all day long. 60 would be helpful for slowing down the action but you don't really get that great of an effect until you get to 120 and above. Keep in mind 4K 60fps files are huge
30 fps in slow motion is useless though. Harddrive space is cheap...LOL

Actually the Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced, and P4P V2 all shoot in 4K 60fps. View attachment 82392
But you are likely correct with the M2Pro that it could be a heat issue. Honestly, it’s super disappointing and even more so that DJI discontinued the Phantom. I won’t say you can’t get Professional grade video from the M2 because I’ve seen some but not having the flexibility of 60fps really limits what you can do in post. It’s unfortunate.
Thanks I corrected my statement, I normally shoot H.265 when flying my P4P and 4K/60 isn't available on H.265 just H.264.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
30 fps in slow motion is useless though. Harddrive space is cheap...LOL

I never said to use 30fps for slow motion. Heat / Processor on the M2P is probably the issue. I know after shooting 4k for 15 minuets mine gets pretty hot

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I just don't understand why DJI would have put that limit on the M2P. Especially if they were going to phase out the Phantom 4 Pro. It has got to be a marketing strategy/technique. I doubt very highly it is a hardware limitation. SO hopefully a perfect storm will happen in 2020... Mavic 3 with 4k @ 60fps will be released and the tariffs are dropped on china made products...here's hoping
I think it is hardware limiting honestly look at the size of the camera and its a 1 inch sensor! they did a really good job at making it small and still portable. I just think heat is the issue and not enough room for heatsinks etc like on p4p (way bigger housing / most def has a bigger heatsink in camera guts) I'm almost positive that the processor can handle it because of the hyperlapse functions and all the stitching in drone, plus the vps cameras all going on at once. So yea i would say heat mostly and maybe a little marketing jargon?

You cannot do high quality slow motion shots of wildlife or weddings, shooting 4k @ 30fps. Plus, when you take 4k @ 60fps and downgrade it to 30fps in post production, it is really smooth. It is really good for weddings and luxury real estate footage.
This is true actually. You are right. Although it takes quite a lot of computing power to edit 4K60 in Adobe Premiere CC.

Yes but it's "blocky" unlike the 30p footage and thus of limited use, they probably don't have the power to process it to the same standard.
Oh really? It says it’s 100mbps h.264. I guess it would make sense that the 60p 100mbps would have to be a more compressed than the 30p 100mbps. Could the “blockiness” you are seeing just be compression artifacts?

No, it's just lower quality downsampling. Pretty well known.

Clipboard01.jpg

Bascially you can shoot 2.7k60 on the M2, upscale to 4K and you won't really get lower quality. So if you need 60, do that.

Actually the Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced, and P4P V2 all shoot in 4K 60fps. View attachment 82392
But you are likely correct with the M2Pro that it could be a heat issue. Honestly, it’s super disappointing and even more so that DJI discontinued the Phantom. I won’t say you can’t get Professional grade video from the M2 because I’ve seen some but not having the flexibility of 60fps really limits what you can do in post. It’s unfortunate.
One could argue that the P4P is not a consumer drone, but it certainly delivers 4K 60fps with a 1” sensor at 100mbps. However, even it suffers from heat at 4096x2160p at 60fps, resulting in video glitches, which disappear at 3840x2160p 60fps, which is why DJI no longer lists the 4096x2160p in the P4P specs.

You could just get the Autel Evo drone, that shoots 4K at 60 frames per second.
EVO unfortunately does not have a 1” sensor, and can't even come close to the range and reliability of DJI's Occusync 2.0 signal and 1080p FPV on the M2P. EVO also can't elevate the gimbal above 90°. EVO's flight times are also under 20 minutes, and require limiting speed to 24 mph just to achieve them. EVO is also not supported by Litchi, and never will be.

Last edited:
Honestly, it’s super disappointing and even more so that DJI discontinued the Phantom.
Wait, what?

I just watched a YouTube video from Drone Valley that said a New Phantom with multi-spectral photography (6 cameras) has been released.

Wait, what?

I just watched a YouTube video from Drone Valley that said a New Phantom with multi-spectral photography (6 cameras) has been released.
Yeah but $6,995 US though is a bit steep IMHO.

Wait, what?

More of a prosumer thing, agricultural

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf