DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro (or Zoom) *.DAT Files

I just checked my HTC 10.
I don't use it to fly very often, usually fly with my Samsung Tab A.
My HTC shows DAT files in /dji/dji.go.v4/flightrecord/mcdatflightrecords. Latest is from May, 5.3MB. One from January is 105MB.
The ones in that folder on my Tablet are no bigger than 14MB.

That could be the normal size.

Dji.pilot for Go3 doesn't contain that folder or DAT files, only txt files.

The drone had to be LINKED back with the controller when I powered it up but worked just fine. Great live video on my iPad from the camera. Like I said, the camera gimbal went through its start up procedural rotations without incident.

I could not see any "Obvious Damage" upon inspection. I could not really see the gimbal ribbon cable so one would think if that were damaged the gimbal would be having issues and maybe throwing errors.

By reading this maybe you will have a better understanding of what you may encounter trying to get your drone serviced.

The ordeal is over, I'm back to flying and enjoying every second of it.
We should have another thread on this offshoot as it is an important matter.
USA consumers should have some sort of recourse on issues like this. DJI should be held accountable.

This discussion reminds of another issue that has come up before - the entire process seems somewhat sensitive to the aircraft SD card. Have all your tests been done with the same card? If so, you might want to reformat it and/or try a test flight with no card in the aircraft.

I give that a try. Have not flown it without the micro SD card inserted in the drone. At this point, its going to be some little something that is not obvious that makes the difference.

Thanks for the continued suggestions.

Response to sar104's Post #79

Got to get out this afternoon before a thunderstorm blew in.

Micro SD card
Micro SD Card.PNG

Tests Performed & Results:

Removed 128 GB micro SD card

Aircraft Internal memory never format by me.
Flew Drone
Copied files from AC and iPad to Laptop
NO *FLYxxx.DAT files, folder FlightRecords\MCDatFlightRecords EMPTY
Downloaded all the folders on the internal memory to Laptop, searched for *.DAT and only found the little bitty 1 to 2 KB files (These are not the droids your looking for)

Used iPad/controller linked to drone and initiated a FORMAT of the internal memory
Flew Drone
Downloaded all the folders on the internal memory to Laptop, searched for *.DAT and only found the little bitty 1 to 2 KB files (These are not the droids your looking for)

Inserted micro SD card into drone
Used iPad/controller linked to drone and initiated a FORMAT of the micro SD card
Rain and Thunderstorm moved in, 3rd flight cancelled until another time

Last edited:
Reactions: BudWalker
Response to sar104's Post #79

Got to get out this afternoon before a thunderstorm blew in.

Micro SD card
View attachment 78777

Tests Performed & Results:

Removed 128 GB micro SD card

Aircraft Internal memory never format by me.
Flew Drone

Used iPad/controller linked to drone and initiated a FORMAT of the internal memory
Flew Drone

Used iPad/controller linked to drone and initiated a FORMAT of the micro SD card
Rain and Thunderstorm moved in, 3rd flight cancelled until another time
You don't actually need a flight. A .DAT will be created just by turning on the battery. Good luck.

Reactions: RedBird2020
Ah, did not know that. Thanks for info Bud.

Stand by for test 3a results

Last edited:
You don't actually need a flight. A .DAT will be created just by turning on the battery. Good luck.

Thanks Bud

Conducted the rain delay test (with information from Bud, it was conducted indoors)

3a.
Connected iPad to remote controller, turned on drone.
Went one step further, tightly held drone and started motors and ran for about 10 seconds.
Downloaded all the folders on the internal memory to Laptop, searched for *.DAT and only found the little bitty 1 to 2 KB file (These are not the droids your looking for).
It did create the *.txt files for each new session (Test) 1, 2, 3a.

Same results Bud. Put that extra special thinking cap on and see if anything comes to mind we have not tried.

Thanks

Did u use same device in your tests? Did u do factory reset and dji go4 reinstal?

Yes, used same device in test conducted in post #84 above. Did not uninstall DJI GO 4 APP before conducting that series of testing.

Worth Noting: Upon receipt of whole new Mavic 2 Pro system. Prior to power up, Uninstalled DJI GO 4 APP, shutdown and restarted iPad. Then reinstalled GO 4 APP. Did not sync new installed GO 4 app, connected iPad to new remote controller powered up rc and then powered up new drone and flew 3 batteries. No files found.

Took my wife's iPad which had never touched a drone and installed GO 4 App, few several flights. No files found. That was as close to an untouched system for testing new rc and drone.

*** Please keep asking more questions, the solution will reveal itself sooner or later.

I would try first to put ipads aside and try with an Android device, factory reset it first to wipe all out, then if possible - put in sd card into device, mount it as internal storage and transfer Android data to it
Then install dji go4, and connect to drone. That alone should make filesystem as on my screenshot above. Post the one you will get - it may be helpful to see what it actually makes.
It may help to see what is missing. You do not need to fly - just set local video cache on, taje sone video and see what will device filesystem show later.

As a last thing - you can try to refresh drone firmware in dji assistant, but i think you already did it twice.

Android takes some coordination with friend. I'll check with him and see when he can assist.

Thanks for ideas.

RedBird2020 experiences with DJI show just how bad their customer 'support' really is. What sort of company makes false claims like they did (re. damage) and also fails to resolve the problem of the .DAT files not being recorded.

My Mavic 2 Pro (before it disconnected and failed to RTH) also did not record .DAT files, whereas my older Mavic Pro (1) did. Same DJI Go app, same mobile phone, yet no .DAT files for the newer Mavic 2 Pro. I believe that DJI have deliberately changed something to stop the recording of .DAT files.

It really is time for some serious competition to DJI.

Apple do the same kind of things even with competition, and they're still the most successful company in their field...

Good afternoon,
I am a new DJI owner since 8/4/19. I have the same problem no .DAT files. The manufacture date is Jan 2019. I have tried on my phone an LG G7 and tablet a Samsung Tab A. On both no .Dat files are found. I am running the current firmware version for both the controller and drone. Also running the current App for Android.

Good afternoon,
I am a new DJI owner since 8/4/19. I have the same problem no .DAT files. The manufacture date is Jan 2019. I have tried on my phone an LG G7 and tablet a Samsung Tab A. On both no .Dat files are found. I am running the current firmware version for both the controller and drone. Also running the current App for Android.

I noticed that my Android device (Huawei phone) has not been recording M2 DAT or txt logs since June. I haven't yet tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app or using the Pilot app instead, or testing it with my MP or Phantoms. The iPhone that I much prefer (except that it is smaller) is still recording both logs.

I noticed that my Android device (Huawei phone) has not been recording M2 DAT or txt logs since June. I haven't yet tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app or using the Pilot app instead, or testing it with my MP or Phantoms. The iPhone that I much prefer (except that it is smaller) is still recording both logs.

DJI told me they stopped the recording of the *.DAT files (reference post #52) but I could not get DJI to confirm which *.DAT files & folder they were referencing. Then DJI went on to give me guidance on how to find and download them. Again I was not convinced that DJI and I were talking about the same or files. Even provided DJI with screen shots of exactly what I was describing including the folders I was questioning. It was like DJI was not paying any attention to what I provided, just wanted to give me a cook book solution.

sar104, hope this is not a trend to shut the door on consumers having access to health and performance data of our systems.

I have yet to record the infamous *FLYxxx.DAT files. It creates the proper folder sequences but the MCDatFlightRecords folder is empty. I can't record anything more than *.TXT files that have 274 variables and not all those variables are populated with data.

Recorded the *FLYxxx.DAT files in the MCDatFlightRecords folder on every flight of my Mavic Air as well as the *.TXT files (in their proper folder).

I don't understand why DJI won't let us have readable DAT files from the AC. They can always add CRC and hash to detect data alterations if they are concerned about false data for a crash without resorting to encryption.

Reactions: Kazzaaz
It can be possible that after any subsequent Android os upgrade the go4 app loses privileges and access to record files. But, who knows.
I guess as long as current SC OS and go4 apo records those files it is better not to update anything.

It can be possible that after any subsequent Android os upgrade the go4 app loses privileges and access to record files. But, who knows.
I guess as long as current SC OS and go4 apo records those files it is better not to update anything.
I was using the same phone and same version of the Go app. Only the drone had changed from the Mavic Pro to the Mavic 2 Pro. Change if drone and suddenly there were no more .DAT files.

DJI have failed to answer my questions about why, and conveniently use this as a reason not to replace a list drone.

I don't understand why DJI won't let us have readable DAT files from the AC. They can always add CRC and hash to detect data alterations if they are concerned about false data for a crash without resorting to encryption.
The "problem" is likely that people being able to read the data allows them to challenge those "not a warranty case" decisions...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000