DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro prop flare

RockyMtns

Reactions
When flying in full sunlight, I record prop reflection/flare when at an acute angle to the sun. Does anyone know how eliminate/minimize this problem?
Thanks!!

Try tilting the Gimbal down a bit and/or slightly adjust your angle.

Reactions: Thomas B and slup
When flying in full sunlight, I record prop reflection/flare when at an acute angle to the sun. Does anyone know how eliminate/minimize this problem?
Thanks!!
Oh and welcome, I’m new too?

As @Almaz Aswad suggested, point the gimbal down so that it's not in direct line with the sun or maybe look at getting a neutral filter to take the edge of the suns glare (In my head this would work, but I don't own one to test with!)

Does anybody else face this same prop flare/reflection issue?.......when the camera lens is more or less horizontal, and facing at an angle to the sun. Sunlight reflects off of the props, creating a flashing on the camera.
I've thought about the lens hood, but am wondering if others have noticed the same problem.
BTW, my camera lens is very clean, not contributing to the problem.

Does anybody else face this same prop flare/reflection issue?.......when the camera lens is more or less horizontal, and facing at an angle to the sun. Sunlight reflects off of the props, creating a flashing on the camera.
I've thought about the lens hood, but am wondering if others have noticed the same problem.
Have you set the camera gimbal to allow the incremental 30 degrees upward travel? Wondering if the flare is occurring because of the increased upward angle?

Reactions: Thomas B
The lens is pointed either straight ahead or down at a relatively small angle.......definitely not pointed upward. I agree that pointing the lens downward will minimize or eliminate the prop flare, but I often want the view of the distant horizon.
I'm still waiting to see if others have experienced the same prop effect. So far, no affirmatives.
Thanks.

The lens is pointed either straight ahead or down at a relatively small angle.......definitely not pointed upward. I agree that pointing the lens downward will minimize or eliminate the prop flare, but I often want the view of the distant horizon.
I'm still waiting to see if others have experienced the same prop effect. So far, no affirmatives.
Thanks.
Are you using the stock props (i.e. dark color)? My old P2V white props caused prop flare depending on the angle of the camera. Just a thought.

I have seen this although I only noticed it in reviewing footage after the fact. I did some research and some people say the sun shield around the camera will help. I rarely see it so I haven’t bothered with getting the shield yet. You can try to come at it from a different angle or just wait a little until the sun has changed position.

Yes, anyone flying in those scenarios will get some sort of prop shadows.
Most will just not film in that very narrow band of direction / angle, or edit out the problem (clip out and transition to next scene).

A lens hood COULD help, some report you can see the edges of some of them at extreme flying angles, but you can dremel out the hood opening a little if required here and there.

Personally, I feel no need to buy a hood (store, fit and remove each flight etc), just film / edit around prop shadows.

Most pilots use the same principle in video and photography and keep the sun at their backs, but sometimes that beam of sunlight through early sunset clouds is just too nice :)
Usually not a problem in photos, or adjust gimbal down a bit works sometimes.

Prop flare? Reflection?
That's probably not an accurate description.
Are you seeing the props in your line of view or are you seeing the shadow of the props caused by the sun shining through the props onto the lens?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Prop flare? Reflection?
That's probably not an accurate description.
Are you seeing the props in your line of view or are you seeing the shadow of the props caused by the sun shining through the props onto the lens?

when the camera lens is more or less horizontal, and facing at an angle to the sun. Sunlight reflects off of the props, creating a flashing on the camera.

From this description post #8, I assumed prop shadows THROUGH the props, creating that dark flicker.
Not sure how reflections could occur and 'flashing' now sort of sounds strange vs shadow.

Either way, it's to do with the direction of flight to the sun, and almost all the advice given should help reduce the chance of it happening.
Otherwise it's edit / crop out.

Sunlight reflects off of the props, creating a flashing on the camera.
That's not reflection, it's the shadow of the props.
It happens when the sun shines through the props onto the lens.
The best prevention is to avoid pointing your drone/camera away from where it can happen.

Wouldn't I need to point the camera upward to include the props in the field of view? I never point it upward.....so I'm beginning to think the flickering is the shadow of the props, and that kind of makes sense.
I appreciate everyone's comments/thoughts. They've been very helpful!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_