DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 wouldn't land and went berserk on me.

It was a stick issue, I worked with Dji on what to do I tried a stick Cal in the right stick would not zero outs so I sent the controller to DJI and they said the stick module was fried so they replaced the stick module (both). It works fine now
I never sent my logs anywhere still trying to learn how to do that with crystal sky

Reactions: franklinskite
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out why my drone wouldn't land on me earlier tonight. I wanted to catch an awesome sunset by the water. So went down a road, which basically is on the coastal waters. So water all around (think of it like a pier) I parked my car at the Dead End. and launched my drone maybe 4 feet behind my car. Anyway as the sun was going down and my battery was getting low, i thought i'd hovver it around above the water to get the last of the sunset reflections. Eventually the battery said critically low, and it said return to home. HOWEVER it wouldn't land.. It hovered around 6ft up from where it was supposed to land. Bleeping like crazy (i'm guessing obstacle but with so much going on, i really don't know) I was getting nervous cos i was worried the battery was going to die any second and my drone dropping from that height would of almost certainly have it end up toast. So i thought maybe grab it, but again everytime i would try and grab it, it would try and get away from me. So i thought maybe put it sport mode to turn off the sensors but it still wasn't happy. It did keep turning on its landing lights as i'd try and grab it, before going up a few feet. Eventually, i managed to get hold of the **** thing, slicing up my hand in the process. And the motors really ramped up. Like to the point it was pulling hard away from me. I was genuinely nervous at this stage. My hand was already sliced up pretty bad with blood dripping everywhere. I was concerned for my eyes more than anything, knowing it was at full power and going beserk, if i let it slip it could go straight into my face. . i also wasn't letting go of the drone, knowing all too well, it was trying to get away and there was too much water in the vicinity. I tried getting the battery out, but with the props spinning up like they were you can't really see them and things getting dark by now, it was kinda hard. Eventually after a min or two fighting the thing, it just calmed down and shut off. THANK BEEP !!! But it would be nice to know WTF Happened, so i can avoid it from happening again. Could it of been cos the light became too low, it didn't know its landing zone ? I could of been because there were barriers around the road to stop cars from going into the water ? Metal armco barriers to be precise. Could that of caused it to flip out ? Plus my car was kinda close. But i've always launched a few feet from behind my car. Anyway, any idea's would be appreciated. Glad its home and well about to check out the awesome footage i will have got from it.
Check and see if the controller somehowdisconnected from the mavic. I have had, on two occasions recently, a message that the controller was not connected. The mavic stayed in place and I had to hand land. I bought a smart controller last week. Haven't had time to fly and compare yet.

So i thought maybe grab it, but again everytime i would try and grab it, it would try and get away from me.

when sh$t happens:

first easiest thing is to try to position drone above somthing soft - soil or tall grass or a bush, and do both sticks in to kill motors. it will drop, but if it drops from 6ft on soft stuff - it will not break.

second - if you grabbed it from the belly - it should not cut your arm. but, in the future - wrap a t-shirt on your arms first, grab the belly hard as you grab a hammer and do quick 90 deg roll twist - or full upside down over a side roll - it will also kill motors.

third - pick a stick and throw it into the props. i had to do it at least twice on the big 6 rotor hex machine that went rogue on me - it will crash it, but, you know, it is better than damaging somebody else. but, throwing something on props while it is doing full throttle will most likely damage either motors or ESCs or both, so, a 90 deg roll is a better way out.

it is very odd it kept doing full pull when you had your arm holding it and covering rear sensors - usually it should trigger motors off if you were pulling left stick down at same time.

all in all - practice hand catching that thing, to avoid getting cut. it is a very useful skill to have.

to add to above - alter T or S mode to ATTI mode - that way it will land properly, always, as it will be ignoring all the artificial piloting BS in the code and all sensors.

OP here, so i thought i'd update. Today i did a test flight to see if I could recreate the problem but she was as good as gold. Everything worked perfectly. I was in a better location, as in not next to water ! I also did a test RTH it worked as it should. I did a good number of landings and take offs and not once did it hiccup.

I also practiced, hand grabs and did a much better job. (however read on!!) I also managed to kill the motors by turning it on its side. So that's good to know. HOWEVER all that to be done from above, when it was on the ground. Trying to grab it from the bottom, even with the 'Enable Visual Obstacle Avoidance' turned off. It still went up a couple of feet to get away from me, so I don't know what's up with that..... That's why i cut my hand yesterday, cos i sort of had to jump at it, to catch it, rather than calmly place my hand underneath. During today's test, i'm not sure if i moved it to the S position on the controller, but I 100% had obstacle avoidance turned to off in the app / controller. I would have thought it wouldn't try and get away with that turned off.

I also practiced, hand grabs and did a much better job.

Have a look at a couple of threads here, members video links, very easy to hand launch / land.

There was a much more recent thread showing how to slide your hand underneath the aircraft too, another member post and YT video.
The sensors don't pick up the hand if it is slid within a few inches of the body.

OP here, so i thought i'd update. Today i did a test flight to see if I could recreate the problem but she was as good as gold. Everything worked perfectly. I was in a better location, as in not next to water ! I also did a test RTH it worked as it should. I did a good number of landings and take offs and not once did it hiccup.

I also practiced, hand grabs and did a much better job. (however read on!!) I also managed to kill the motors by turning it on its side. So that's good to know. HOWEVER all that to be done from above, when it was on the ground. Trying to grab it from the bottom, even with the 'Enable Visual Obstacle Avoidance' turned off. It still went up a couple of feet to get away from me, so I don't know what's up with that..... That's why i cut my hand yesterday, cos i sort of had to jump at it, to catch it, rather than calmly place my hand underneath. During today's test, i'm not sure if i moved it to the S position on the controller, but I 100% had obstacle avoidance turned to off in the app / controller. I would have thought it wouldn't try and get away with that turned off.

you have to be careful - the safest method is when it lowers into your hand. it always worked for me, day or evening light.
he does show quick grab too - but it works best when you 'slide' hand decently quick almost touching belly of the drone - i usually do it from the camera side of it, as you slide hand there you need to grab is dead on if it decides to jerk up. video shows an important aspect of what line not to cross with your fingers there. i never had to do a force twist, to honest, other then once or twice for a test - usually as you slide your hand - it will kill the power on motors as you pull left stick down at the same time.
wear a jacket with solid long sleeve when you`ll try that, to not cut your arm, and a leather glove for fingers.

Last edited:
Check and see if the controller somehowdisconnected from the mavic. I have had, on two occasions recently, a message that the controller was not connected. The mavic stayed in place and I had to hand land. I bought a smart controller last week. Haven't had time to fly and compare yet.

It was not disconnected - if it had been then the log telemetry would have stopped.

It was a stick issue, I worked with Dji on what to do I tried a stick Cal in the right stick would not zero outs so I sent the controller to DJI and they said the stick module was fried so they replaced the stick module (both). It works fine now

Okay - it's possible in your case that if the throttle was not sending full down (-10000) then the aircraft would not land. However, in this case the throttle was sending -10000.

Ive had this obstacle beeping while launching and was because had too many things too close so it not as bad as yours managed to land safely but with that next time i lainced it same thing again in same area but i just sent it up a few feet more out the was amd all was fine

i had a similar situation the other day with my M2P, the thing just went crazy hit me in my face, cut my eye, the drone was hovering around 4 feet off the ground, the sun was going down,the battery low warnings started alarming that when the drone started to drift so i brought it back in position to land pulled down on the stick drone went to the ground and bounced back up flew into my face hit the ground upside down propellers still spinning l grab the drone uprighted it push the power switch it wouldn’t power down the only way i was able to stop it was to remove the battery

I hate to be the bad guy, but more than 80% of weird DJI drone weirdness is pilot error, myself included. DJI has masterfully sold UAV’s to be as easy to use as a Nespresso machine.

The only injury I’ve sustained was due to a spoiled hyperactive 12 yo who ‘pooshed the button’ and reminded me to be careful.

Happy that all the blood freaked the kid’s entire family out ;-).

ba8190317dc34371f39f94d2bb61d748.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: pelagic_one
There are several discussions on how to hand grab and hand launch a drone. If you try to grab it from the bottom it will try and fly away. Hover your drone in front of you and slowly bring your hand up under neath the drone. Each time it will start to climb. However, if you approach the drone from the front and slowly slide your hand up underneath the drone, like you are going to gently touch its belly, it will just stay there. You cannot have the palm of your hand more than an inch or two away from the bottom of the drone when you slide it underneath. when you grab it it, just use your other hand to shut it down via the remote. Works great !!

There are several discussions on how to hand grab and hand launch a drone. If you try to grab it from the bottom it will try and fly away. Hover your drone in front of you and slowly bring your hand up under neath the drone. Each time it will start to climb. However, if you approach the drone from the front and slowly slide your hand up underneath the drone, like you are going to gently touch its belly, it will just stay there. You cannot have the palm of your hand more than an inch or two away from the bottom of the drone when you slide it underneath. when you grab it it, just use your other hand to shut it down via the remote. Works great !!
Planning on a closeup selfie during the landing puts the drone in the perfect spot, as you smile, and stroke its belly for the hand-catch!

Works from the rear also. I like to back my drones in.

I've seen a video showing how you should try to grab you mavic. Maybe we should train for that emergency.

What I did tried was keeping your hand below it, after some time it will understand that's were the ground is and will allow landing.

I practice hand landings and takeoffs. Keep in mind you should landtour quad with its rear facing you. I’ve had good luck reaching up slowly from behind and catching it.

I practice hand landings and takeoffs. Keep in mind you should landtour quad with its rear facing you. I’ve had good luck reaching up slowly from behind and catching it.
Is that because the controls are more intuitive that way? Or does it move forward adjusting for obstacles? Does it really move avoiding obstacles or it just not move on that direction?

Works equally wel to approach the drone from th front or back. If you’re gonna do it just pick the way you want and get good at it. Front or back approach, some grasp the drone and some let it settle into their had.., again just pick the way you want and learn it well... YouTube is full of videos for all methods and with multiple different opinions on which is preferred/ best...,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav