DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom even be able to takeoff after September 16 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and everyone that has replied to your post know that there is no doubt why RID has been implemented because drone owners like yourself constantly ignore the rules that govern the airspace. Perhaps RID will bring a halt to illegal flying.

How is it paranoid?

On the evening of September 16 my M2Z will easily fly 4 miles away from me and back like it always has. On the morning of September 17, that will all come to a screeching halt, even though I did nothing wrong. Tell me how that isn't fascism?
This concern is mildly overstated.

Your drone will still fly after September 16 just fine. Here is why:

1. There are more countries in the world than just the USA. The drone you have probably has many users still in some of those countries. Remote ID is only required in the USA. If what you fear was true, nobody would be able to fly their drones after that date even outside of the USA which is ridiculous.

2. The FAA will still allow flight in FRIA's, those exempt areas where Remote ID is not required. Presumably the drone you have would be permitted to continue to fly in them.

3. The RID modules you can purchase and attach to non-compliant drones don't connect in any way to the firmware of the drone or controller, afaik. They depend on the user entering the correct information and attaching it correctly to the drone. Since these exist, it stands to reason that your drone will still fly after that day for the specific reason that if it couldn't, how would you be able to use it with a RID attachment?

Step back from the edge of the cliff it will all be ok.

they can turn off the "connection" and effectively ground all DJI drones as well.
What 'connection' would that be... just curious if there's something you know that I don't.

I often, in fact most of the time actually, fly without a 'connection'. Using my phone I'm in airplane mode unless I forget, and my tablet doesn't have cellular. I'd like to know how DJI or the feds can ground me just by flipping a switch.

Reactions: Torque
but I can easily leave it off and still be in compliance with the law.

This falsehood has been stated by you several times, and no one has addressed it, so I will.

No, you will be breaking the law. The RID regulations require every drone to be broadcasting RID while in flight after 9/16. Period.

It does NOT state that one simply must have an RID module in their possession. The regs require it to be attached to the drone.

I wonder where you got this silly idea. Certainly not from a thorough examination of the FARs.

And what's this garbage about the FAA forcing DJI to connect to servers and report on their customers? The FAA has no such statutory authority to do so. This would require a change to the law by Congress. Just like RID required.

The EU has passed something like this, but nothing on the horizon in that regard in the US.

Go type in the phrase "Laser Printer Yellow Dots" into Google and read about something that was NEVER intended for the public to know about it. It was a secret agreement between printer and photocopier manufacturers and governments. That just tells you I ain't paranoid about these things, but just well aware of all the shady things going on that we aren't supposed to know about.
Fer gawd's sake.

I worked at HP, as an engineer and Project Manager during this stupidity. It's complete BS.

Google "Moon Landings Faked", and you'll find plenty of convincing information they were. The most convincing being, well, fake.

If you didn't know, you might get really suspicious. Might even start to believe.

Exactly the same situation with the yellow dots BS.

That sounds rather fanciful.
I doubt that it's true.
Totally.

The idea that there are mandatory reporting laws for FAA regulation violations seen described on the internet is beyond silly.

First, because a statement on a BBoard is well short of the evidence necessary to secure conviction; it's not under oath, and can be easily dismissed by the perp by simply saying they were boasting. Lying on a bboard is perfectly legal.

Second, mandatory reporting requirements are few and far between, and are focused on very serious issues, like child abuse.

Someone boasting on mavicpilots.com they've hacked their Mavic Pro and taken it to 5000ft? Puhleez 🙄

Reactions: umanbean
Google "Moon Landings Faked", and you'll find plenty of convincing information they were. The most convincing being, well, fake.
Shhhhh... don't volunteer anything else for him to be paranoid about 😃

Anybody else tired of this thread? I am. The op has his mind made up and no amount of gum flapping or keyboard pounding is going to change it.

I think I'll bow out, y'all have at it if you want to.

What 'connection' would that be... just curious if there's something you know that I don't.

I often, in fact most of the time actually, fly without a 'connection'. Using my phone I'm in airplane mode unless I forget, and my tablet doesn't have cellular. I'd like to know how DJI or the feds can ground me just by flipping a switch.
No there isn't anything that I know that you don't know. The only thing for sure is "we don't know for sure." I do agree there is no flip of the switch but there are methods of making it nearly impossible to fly your drone. Here's how and before I go on, I need to stress this is not a process already in place or which could be put into place, these are not the instructions or the procedure that will be used or can be used. This is how I envision it would work (in theory) and I didn't just make this up, I heard it from others....elsewhere. Finally you should know that we'll never know exactly how it will work....for good reason.

Anyway, when you fly you need GPS. Without good GPS, all good drones are crippled. Whoever controls the GPS may just be able to control the drones. We all know you have to login in your device in order to continue to fly so if you were prevented from logging in, eventually you don't fly. Short of that...that's all I know and it doesn't include disruption and Wifi and any other "physical" techniques that could be deployed locally. Do I know what they are for sure? Not really. Do I believe they might exist? Probably so.

... but I can easily leave it off and still be in compliance with the law. Just like you said about the pool alarm, the only legal requirement is to buy the intrusion alarm and register it, not to have it constantly prove that it's actually working every second of every day.
If you leave it off, you will not be in compliance with the RID regulations.

Regarding the pool alarm analogy (and speaking only for my town), the legal requirement is to have a working intrusion alarm attached to the pool when the pool is not in use. The only time it was checked was during the inspection, it was still required to be in place afterward.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
No way, not possible.

Good gosh man do you stay in left field or just go there every once in awhile? 😀
The statement you posted doesn't make sense when out of context. The statement I posted in the correct context stands:

"Anyway, when you fly you need GPS. Without good GPS, all good drones are crippled. Whoever controls the GPS may just be able to control the drones."

The statement you posted doesn't make sense when out of context. The statement I posted in the correct context stands:

"Anyway, when you fly you need GPS. Without good GPS, all good drones are crippled. Whoever controls the GPS may just be able to control the drones."
I happen to know some of the people who (at least in part) control GPS. They do not care about our drones. GPS satellites are transmit only. GPS Sats do not track receivers. GPS receivers track the signals and use them to calculate their location and time. Nobody can turn off GPS for drone's only. If someone could turn off the GPS signals it would impact every GPS receiver everywhere (including lots of military applications, cars, some functionality of cell phones, handheld GPS devices, and some of the major safety features on commercial airliners.) There are teams of folks who are dedicated to making sure GPS continues to work. Link for your reference on how GPS works:

It will still fly after September 16th. There would be no practical way to enforce that restriction. You could have a RID module and be legally flying in an area that has no cellular reception. Also, DJI would have no way of forcing you to update the firmware and app to a version that could even attempt to enforce the RID restriction.

People flying illegally beyond VLOS is probably one of the reasons that we are facing the RID requirement. Not the main reason, but likely a contributing factor.
I just hope that all of my Drones will still fly! I still use and fly the original Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro 2 Zoom and my Mavic 1 Mini! I also have a Skydio 2 Drone but it has already updated to RID!

I happen to know some of the people who (at least in part) control GPS. They do not care about our drones. GPS satellites are transmit only. GPS Sats do not track receivers. GPS receivers track the signals and use them to calculate their location and time. Nobody can turn off GPS for drone's only. If someone could turn off the GPS signals it would impact every GPS receiver everywhere (including lots of military applications, cars, some functionality of cell phones, handheld GPS devices, and some of the major safety features on commercial airliners.) There are teams of folks who are dedicated to making sure GPS continues to work. Link for your reference on how GPS works:

Correct, GPS will probably not be turned off to ground DJI drones.

I understand your frustration about the RID requirement. In truth, I expect you know that RID is very much about national security. Knowing who is occupying safe airspace in the USA is nothing new. Private Pilots have been doing it for a long time, and they don't call the FAA "Fascist" for a reasonable requirement. I really think people who have this knee-jerk anti-RID sentiment need to consider that if you use a cell phone or the internet you've already had your personal information captured and shared multiple times over. RID compliance should be toward the bottom of your worry pile. Back to the topic though, I would encourage you to drink a cold one and check out this potential FAA-compliant supplier to get a remote ID module you can attach to your Mavic 2 and make your issue a non-issue:

Dronetag

Reactions: Moozer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member