DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom even be able to takeoff after September 16 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
No there isn't anything that I know that you don't know. The only thing for sure is "we don't know for sure."

Boy is that a convincing argument. We also "don't know for sure" that the big-headed aliens from Star Trek aren't real...

talosian.jpg

🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: Torque
That's just not true.
Drones fly without GPS, they just don't have horizontal positioning without GPS.

And below 30-50' they do via VPS, so the cripple argument is even weaker.

Boy is that a convincing argument.
I'm just trying to make sure I get the point across that we don't know the answers for sure. Several folks here are commenting that the answers are known, the facts are all there, everyone has been briefed and all details have been shared, there are no unknowns because "we know everything there is to know relevant to the topic." I simply disagree...it's not a "convincing argument."

GPS will not be disabled for any reason. Ever.

It is too vital a part of our infrastructure now.
I don't believe GPS will be disabled either. That's silly. I'm thinking more like degraded. Or maybe there is something they can do to prevent a lock. Bottom line is I dunno. And sadly, neither do you (even though you pretend like it). But yes, the way we all know how GPS works, makes sense we believe it can't happen. Unfortunately there might be a way we don't know about.

Either way, it's only one of half a dozen possible solutions to the topic, what do you have to say about the rest?

Just wonder why in the world didn't DJI mass produce an inexpensive RID add-on. They could have very easily and avoided the problem. I know that the older drones are outdated but thousands ++ are still flying.

• Love
Reactions: umanbean
I don't believe GPS will be disabled either. That's silly. I'm thinking more like degraded. Or maybe there is something they can do to prevent a lock. Bottom line is I dunno. And sadly, neither do you (even though you pretend like it). But yes, the way we all know how GPS works, makes sense we believe it can't happen. Unfortunately there might be a way we don't know about.

No, there isn't. And I'm not pretending to know that.

I'm doubtful you understand technically how GPS works.

People flying illegally beyond VLOS is probably one of the reasons that we are facing the RID requirement. Not the main reason, but likely a contributing factor.
Pure conjecture beloved by drone cops everywhere as a pseudo-fact.

Either way, it's only one of half a dozen possible solutions to the topic, what do you have to say about the rest?
Let me try this another way. If GPS is disabled or severely degraded to the point that our drones can't receive the signals, every other technology that uses GPS signals will also be impacted. Whether or not you can fly your drone will be insignificant compared to the massive impact this would have on our infrastructure.

Reactions: okw
Let me try this another way. If GPS is disabled or severely degraded to the point that our drones can't receive the signals, every other technology that uses GPS signals will also be impacted. Whether or not you can fly your drone will be insignificant compared to the massive impact this would have on our infrastructure.
I really hope that's the case.

You know I'm not here to argue how bulletproof GPS in the DJI drones are, right?

That's why I think DJI does have a "back door" connection to ALL our drones (dating back to the the Phantom 1 in 2013) and can shut us down anytime they want.
I'm going to direct the conversation back from where I think this recent diversion has led to. McMaster made the comment, I tended to agree. I was asked how so? I answered with my opinions (because I didn't know for sure; naturally something like this would be a secret) and well, people disagreed saying there is no secret. Fine.

So before this conversation turns into a technical discussion about GPS Selective Availability, I'm going to retract my opinions and just leave it at "I believe there's a way because I'm not naive" and just leave it at that because I certainly don't have the technical capability to explain something that nobody would know about. Yes, I cannot prove it.

I'm not siding with McMaster on a bunch of what he is saying but I'm not going to pretend like I know everything and stand up and say it cannot be done. Trust me, Chinese government and DJI can put an end to all DJI drones immediately if they wanted to; believe it or not. Not so sure about US government.

I don't see any way your DJI could determine whether you have a remote ID module on your drone. The basic drone tag ID module doesn't hook to any network but just broadcasts the ID. The drone would have no way of knowing that. So I don't see how DJI could put a software update out there that could determine that and therefore you should still be able to fly, although technically "illegally" without the remote ID. Relax and fly. I know many pilots are going to "wait and see" with their non-ID drones. Wait to see if the FCC really leaves that deadline in place, wait to see if ID modules come down in price and wait to see if the regulation really "sticks" and is in fact enforced. All of my current DJI drones are already remote ID compliant. However, I am not sure what I am going to do with my Autel EVO II Pro right now. That's my main cinema drone and I will probably wait and see and may even fly it after Sept 16 while waiting. Most of the drone tags and other remote modules are backordered anyway, even if I wanted to comply. We will see.....let's see a module under $100 bucks.

This is an interesting thread. I only fly occasionally (M2P & Spark), and have been aware of this change for quite some time. I just can't believe how quickly the date got here. DroneTag and the others I've found are all taking pre-orders, with DroneTag estimating October delivery. Has anyone actually used one of these modules?

Last edited:
I don't see any way your DJI could determine whether you have a remote ID module on your drone. The basic drone tag ID module doesn't hook to any network but just broadcasts the ID. The drone would have no way of knowing that. So I don't see how DJI could put a software update out there that could determine that and therefore you should still be able to fly, although technically "illegally" without the remote ID. Relax and fly. I know many pilots are going to "wait and see" with their non-ID drones. Wait to see if the FCC really leaves that deadline in place, wait to see if ID modules come down in price and wait to see if the regulation really "sticks" and is in fact enforced. All of my current DJI drones are already remote ID compliant. However, I am not sure what I am going to do with my Autel EVO II Pro right now. That's my main cinema drone and I will probably wait and see and may even fly it after Sept 16 while waiting. Most of the drone tags and other remote modules are backordered anyway, even if I wanted to comply. We will see.....let's see a module under $100 bucks.
My Evo 2 Pro will be grounded as well until the situation develops. I had heard that Autel would provide us with an "Autel" RID module but nothing so far. I can image a process where they have you provide your S/N and they send you the tag. This would be in consideration that they chose not to upgrade plus there can't that many Autel Evo 2 drones out there. I have a V1 and my understanding is V1 and V2 are not RID-capable but V3 is RID-capable so makes sense why Autel would try to help since they left us hanging. We'll see, I still love that drone.

I really hope that's the case.

It's very clear you do not know how GPS works, to say something like that.

GPS is a passive, recieve-only system. Do you know what that means?

Reactions: okw
It's very clear you do not know how GPS works, to say something like that.

GPS is a passive, recieve-only system. Do you know what that means?
Let's start a GPS thread if we want to discuss the specifics about GPS. In that thread, we can post hundreds of entries agreeing with each other about things like how passive GPS it, it's a receive only system, etc. There will be not much to argue because GPS has been around forever and there's no need to argue about how it works; we don't need to be "experts" to keep quizzing each other on capability, etc. But if you want, that's fine, start a separate GPS thread and you'll get bored after a hundred posts of you and I violently agreeing on everything that is known about GPS. Drone GPS tech is very interesting and could be a lively topic to discuss.

But in this thread, we won't agree on this if you disagree with me:

"Does the CCP, DJI, and/or the US government have a method to shut down your DJI drone?" I don't know for sure but I'm inclined to believe the answer is "Yes."

I'm ok if you disagree with me, are you ok if I disagree with you?

Just wonder why in the world didn't DJI mass produce an inexpensive RID add-on. They could have very easily and avoided the problem. I know that the older drones are outdated but thousands ++ are still flying.
They probably thought that they would have had the updates done in time for the older drones.

Okay, this thread has been 10 minutes of my life I will never get back.

I cannot decide if the original post was paranoia, the birth of a conspiracy theory or trolling.

It was entertaining though.
đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member