DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom even be able to takeoff after September 16 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavic-Master88

Reactions
I need to know a very basic thing -- will my Mavic 2 Zoom even get six inches off the ground on the morning of September 17 ??

I assume DJI will enforce a mandatory update that will force me to connect to WiFi every time I attempt a takeoff so they can "verify" whether my bird has Remote ID compliance or not, right? If not, then my bird just sits there with flashing lights and the props not spinning!

I did not spend all this money on DJI drones for the past 10 years just so that government over-reach can force me to behave like I'm some kind of criminal and can't even fly a little plastic toy 20 feet over my backyard. This is FASCISM, folks!

Most likely. But without RID, you will be flying illegally.

I did not spend all this money on DJI drones for the past 10 years just so that government over-reach can force me to behave like I'm some kind of criminal and can't even fly a little plastic toy 20 feet over my backyard. This is FASCISM, folks!
No ... that's paranoid imagination over-reach.
Ease up a little.

I need to know a very basic thing -- will my Mavic 2 Zoom even get six inches off the ground on the morning of September 17 ??
YES and of course YES.
Many people( that don't want to wait for DJI to figure out how to fill out a form) will be getting RID Modules. So you will receive the RID Error but your drone will fly. I am not really sure what they plan to do about the RID error on the screen but like most other things a software update should fix it probably sooner than later.

Reactions: Torque
No ... that's paranoid imagination over-reach.
Ease up a little.

How is it paranoid?

On the evening of September 16 my M2Z will easily fly 4 miles away from me and back like it always has. On the morning of September 17, that will all come to a screeching halt, even though I did nothing wrong. Tell me how that isn't fascism?

YES and of course YES.
Many people( that don't want to wait for DJI to figure out how to fill out a form) will be getting RID Modules. So you will receive the RID Error but your drone will fly. I am not really sure what they plan to do about the RID error on the screen but like most other things a software update should fix it probably sooner than later.

There are no RID modules available for the Mavic 2, as far as I know

Most likely. But without RID, you will be flying illegally.

I've already been doing that for the past few years by going out to 4 and 5 mile range Thumbswayup

But there's a big difference between doing something illegal and my drone still flies versus it not even being able to spin up the props! My car is legally required to have a license plate, but if I take it off, my car still works and I can drive on the roads. Can't say that about a drone after September 16 that doesn't have RID compliance.

I assume DJI will enforce a mandatory update that will force me to connect to WiFi every time I attempt a takeoff so they can "verify" whether my bird has Remote ID compliance or not, right? If not, then my bird just sits there with flashing lights and the props not spinning!

It will still fly after September 16th. There would be no practical way to enforce that restriction. You could have a RID module and be legally flying in an area that has no cellular reception. Also, DJI would have no way of forcing you to update the firmware and app to a version that could even attempt to enforce the RID restriction.

I've already been doing that for the past few years by going out to 4 and 5 mile range Thumbswayup

People flying illegally beyond VLOS is probably one of the reasons that we are facing the RID requirement. Not the main reason, but likely a contributing factor.

It will still fly after September 16th. There would be no practical way to enforce that restriction. You could have a RID module and be legally flying in an area that has no cellular reception. Also, DJI would have no way of forcing you to update the firmware and app to a version that could even attempt to enforce the RID restriction.

DJI could easily implement a firmware update that requires the M2Z to communicate over the internet to the DJI servers and verify that my UAV has RID compliance before it will allow the motors to start spinning. If I was taking off in a remote area with no cellular signal then it would just sit there on the ground with flashing lights and the props not spinning. I'm not saying that DJI actually wants to do it since they hate RID as much as consumers do, but it could easily be done.

How can you be so certain that's true when there isn't even a tiny shred of evidence to base that assumption on?

Most likely DJI will force me into a firmware update between now and September 16 that will make it mandatory for my bird to communicate with DJI servers every time I open the app and attempt to takeoff. If their database shows I am not RID-compliant, then the app refuses to spin up the motors.

Most likely DJI will force me into a firmware update between now and September 16 that will make it mandatory for my bird to communicate with DJI servers every time I open the app and attempt to takeoff. If their database shows I am not RID-compliant, then the app refuses to spin up the motors.
That's ridiculous paranoia.
DJI haven't forced a firmware update on anyone and they've never done anything to suggest they are going to do what your overactive imagination has decided on.

That's ridiculous paranoia.
DJI haven't forced a firmware update on anyone and they've never done anything to suggest they are going to do what your overactive imagination has decided on.

I know the big-wigs over at DJI agree with consumers that RID is a bunch of fascist malarkey --- but I can easily see the FAA sending them threatening letters saying something to the effect of --- "We know your older drone models don't have built-in RID, so you better make external modules available for them by September 16 and require those models communicate with your servers to verify compliance and if they are not, then the drones must not be allowed to spin up the motors for flight"

DJI could easily implement a firmware update that requires the M2Z to communicate over the internet to the DJI servers and verify that my UAV has RID compliance before it will allow the motors to start spinning. If I was taking off in a remote area with no cellular signal then it would just sit there on the ground with flashing lights and the props not spinning. I'm not saying that DJI actually wants to do it since they hate RID as much as consumers do, but it could easily be done.
There is no business reason for DJI to do that.

Keep in mind that DJI is not adding RID for any real measure other than Compliance for the US.

I think RID will be like any other activation a 1 Time Wonder , something we have to do every time there is an update as we do now with signing into DJI. In simple terms this is a pacifier and it will change / evolve and fade into the background of DJI internal GPS contact .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

..... requires the M2Z to communicate over the internet to the DJI servers and verify that my UAV has RID compliance before it will allow the motors to start spinning.
There is no business reason for DJI to do that.
Not only that but there is no legal reason to do it either. The FAA has not made this a requirement. If you plan to attach a broadcast module to your drone externally, it does not have to prevent the drone from taking off if it is not activated.

Reactions: anotherlab
Not only that but there is no legal reason to do it either. The FAA has not made this a requirement. If you plan to attach a broadcast module to your drone externally, it does not have to prevent the drone from taking off if it is not activated.

Right now, the onus of RID-compliance is 100% on the consumer -- but how long before the FAA starts mailing out threatening letters to the manufacturers telling them to enforce RID compliance in their drones or else prevent them from taking off?

If DJI was going to go down that path, there would have to be a reason why you'd add another firmware/flight app past *.**.0790, or the last version of GO4. The only way most people would consider updating technically obsolete mav 2 series drones would be if there was a major bugfix offered, or a spiffy upgraded function people felt they couldn't live without. THEN the bitter pill under the sugar coating might be force-fed at the same time.
DJI has already pulled a similar trick with the introduction of the geozones database "for your peace of mind" before flipping the switch a lot of people reckoned wasn't there to make it mandatory. They've also quietly removed the option to factory reset the mavic2's and the option for users to roll back firmware... not once ... but twice without asking their customers what they thought. So there's the precedent already set without the slightest sniff of paranoia.
I've flown my mav.2's exclusively in airplane mode for over two years and have no intention of opening them up to a live internet connection again. So far: no problems with getting em up in the air.
On top of that: RID is already installed with the Mav 2's and with update *.**.0790, the option to switch it off has been disabled.

Keep in mind that DJI is not adding RID for any real measure other than Compliance for the US.

I think RID will be like any other activation a 1 Time Wonder , something we have to do every time there is an update as we do now with signing into DJI. In simple terms this is a pacifier and it will change / evolve and fade into the background of DJI internal GPS contact .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

I don't think RID-compliance will be considered a "1 time wonder" going forward --- it will basically be a requirement to broadcast RID information every second the bird is in flight or else the motors don't even spin up.

Add-on modules are just a temporary Band-Aid that aren't adhering to the true intent of the regulation. If I buy a license plate and register it with my state DMV, what good does it do if I never attach it to my car and leave it in my house? That is that same viewpoint you can take with add-on modules like the Dronetage Beacon.

Reactions: djwak59
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne