DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2

I'm not sure that the assumption that it will be 2.3x the size of the MP1 is borne-out solely by the properties of a 1" camera sensor. After all, there was nothing in the "document" that specified 2.3x increase in scale, only that it will be larger.

Yes, a larger camera will add mass to the airframe for W & B calculations, but the required change in the size of the airframe doesn't necessarily need to (more than) double to handle it, IMHO. Once the COG issues are addressed, I'm guessing that more powerful motors will be required, too.

I suppose it's all speculation anyway...time will tell.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Besides that, a 1" sensor camera on a drone that is supposed to be small and portable is simply unrealistic.
What are they physical dimensions of a 1" sensor? I assume that's the diagonal measurement so it's not actually an inch on any side.

This is a good point, though. It is logical that the MP2, when released will have an improved camera since the Platinum didn't have any imaging upgrades. But, it also makes sense that DJI would steer people do the Phantoms and larger when they want the best sensors. Maybe they focus on lens upgrades, possibly aperture adjustments, higher frame rates, improved color accuracy, improved low light performance, etc. There is a lot they can do before going to a 1" sensor.

Reactions: GerdS
OsitaLV‏ was talking about the Mavic 2 again on his Twitter a few days ago. Here's the tweet:

Twitter.jpg

What are they physical dimensions of a 1" sensor? I assume that's the diagonal measurement so it's not actually an inch on any side.

This is a good point, though. It is logical that the MP2, when released will have an improved camera since the Platinum didn't have any imaging upgrades. But, it also makes sense that DJI would steer people do the Phantoms and larger when they want the best sensors. Maybe they focus on lens upgrades, possibly aperture adjustments, higher frame rates, improved color accuracy, improved low light performance, etc. There is a lot they can do before going to a 1" sensor.
sensor size.jpg

A 1" sensor has a diagonal of 16 mm. The 1" measurement comes from the outside diameter of the glass tube used on vidicon sensors (1950's technology.)
They will not have adjustable aperture for a sensor this size. It is near the diffraction limit already. Better low light performance will require a larger sensor unless there is some newly invented technology.

Last edited:
They will not have adjustable aperture for a sensor this size. It is near the diffraction limit already.
IIRC, the camera of the Phantom 4 Pro uses a 1" sensor and has adjustable aperture (f/2.8 - f/11). Based upon a quick look-up of sensors and diffraction limit, I'm guessing the best P4P IQ may be around f/5.6. However, it would be nice to not have to depend on ND filters to set SS at 2X FPS.

IIRC, the camera of the Phantom 4 Pro uses a 1" sensor and has adjustable aperture (f/2.8 - f/11). Based upon a quick look-up of sensors and diffraction limit, I'm guessing the best P4P IQ may be around f/5.6. However, it would be nice to not have to depend on ND filters to set SS at 2X FPS.
Yes it would be nice. Some small cameras have internal ND filters to avoid the diffraction limit of the small sensors.
I used the calculator here:
Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks
It shows the limit already at f/4, only one stop down from wide open.
diff limit.jpg

Reactions: DCDronePilot
It shows the limit already at f/4, only one stop down from wide open.
View attachment 28099

Yes, on a 1/2/3" sensor at 12 MP. However, the P4P camera and its 1" sensor is actually 20 MP. For this case (1" CMOS, 20 MP), the calculator shows:
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 10.35.44 AM.png

So, on a 1" CMOS at 20 MP, f/4 isn't diffraction limited. Now, based on the same sensor (P4P), f/5.6 IS diffraction limited but only by 22% of the AD:
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 11.03.10 AM.png

Furthermore, with the P4P's ability to choose aperture based on 1/3 stops, you will probably not exceed the COC at f/4.6, f/4.9 and maybe even f/5.0. That's a whole lot more useable (sharp) f-stops that the Mavic 1! Unfortunately, it means ND filters will still be needed and an investment required in new diameter filters!

IMHO, it would seem plausible that DJI wouldn't reinvent gimbal and camera technology but, instead, adapt already proven components to the Mavic 2. Any bets on the P4P camera being adapted to the Mavic 2?

Of course, we're all "shooting in the dark."

Last edited:
Yes, on a 1/2/3" sensor at 12 MP. However, the P4P camera and its 1" sensor is actually 20 MP. For this case (1" CMOS, 20 MP), the calculator shows:
View attachment 28102

So, on a 1" CMOS at 20 MP, f/4 isn't diffraction limited. Now, based on the same sensor (P4P), f/5.6 IS diffraction limited but only by 22% of the AD:
View attachment 28103

Furthermore, with the P4P's ability to choose aperture based on 1/3 stops, you will probably not exceed the COC at f/4.6, f/4.9 and maybe even f/5.0. That's a whole lot more useable (sharp) f-stops that the Mavic 1! Unfortunately, it means ND filters will still be needed and an investment required in new diameter filters!

IMHO, it would seem plausible that DJI wouldn't reinvent gimbal and camera technology but, instead, adapt already proven components to the Mavic 2. Any bets on the P4P camera being adapted to the Mavic 2?

Of course, we're all "shooting in the dark."
I can't imagine that they would put a 1"sensor in the Mavic at this time as it would cut into their sales of the P4P. There are several sensor sizes in between 1/2.3 and 1" which might make sense.
My only hope is that they fix their jpeg processing so that we can get decent images without having to use RAW.

You never know livinlarge p4p has been out over a year now. Imo i do think tgey would adapt something like the p4p camera over maybe just same hardware different camera shell

You never know livinlarge p4p has been out over a year now. Imo i do think tgey would adapt something like the p4p camera over maybe just same hardware different camera shell
DJI is all about maximizing profit. They only make incremental changes to an existing product. Look how many folks rushed out to buy the Platinum and white Mavics, LOL. They will always leave you wanting more so they have something else to sell you.
I believe they might eventually put a 1" sensor on the Mavic, but they will have something, waiting in the wings, in the Phantom line (P5?) that is much better such as an even larger sensor or zoom lens. This will be released a few months later.

A 1" sensor has a diagonal of 16 mm. The 1" measurement comes from the outside diameter of the glass tube used on vidicon sensors (1950's technology.)
They will not have adjustable aperture for a sensor this size. It is near the diffraction limit already. Better low light performance will require a larger sensor unless there is some newly invented technology.
That's very informative. Thanks!

The new Autel EVO will have a camera with a 1" sensor AND an adjustable aperture on their $1299 model. Don't you think DJI will need to compete with their Mavic Pro II?

Reactions: FASTFJR
The new Autel EVO will have a camera with a 1" sensor AND an adjustable aperture on their $1299 model. Don't you think DJI will need to compete with their Mavic Pro II?

More than that:
4K at 60 fps
1/2.3 sensor with f/2.8 lens 90 degree FOV
or
1" sensor, 90 degree FOV, f/2.4-11
Modular camera/gimbal
Built in screen, no phone needed, no compatibility worries
Rear sensors for obstacle avoidance
4 downward sensors
Computer vision system for front obstacle avoidance
Dynamic tracking with occlusion handling
Low light tracking
3D mapping
7K range
30 min flight time
No data sent to China

Thus guarantees that DJI will have to put a 1" sensor on the Mavic sooner than I expected and other features as well.
Hope the EVO lives up to the hype.

Dam, talk about reverse engineering Lol. Its very very similar to the Mavic..........only better?. I'm not digging that 3.3 inch screen. Come on at least drop a 5 inch in there. 4K 60fps with a Sony sensor sounds great. I hope it doesn't have a focusing issue LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB