DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2

HI
I'm new here, from Italy

After waiting and see Mavic AIR now I'm secure to waiting for buy Mavic 2 PRO.

who is OsitaLV?
It's affidable??

What I find amazing is how incredibly leakproof DJI are.. With such a high demand for leaks, it's amazing they manage to more or less keep a lid on things. Sure there may be a bit of leakage close to the release date but not that much compared with other high demand manufacturers.

Reactions: HydroneMantis
I was really wanting the Mavic Air to be a size in between the Ph4 and the Mavic. After seeing the Mavic Air (disappointing) I now have another glimmer of Hope that the Mavic 2 will be a little larger than the current Mavic. If it's just scaled up and has a better camera,and retains the folding leg concept, with 30 minutes of flight time,I'll be all over it! Autel may have just forced DJI,to step up their game.

Reactions: Greg Smithski
What I find amazing is how incredibly leakproof DJI are.. With such a high demand for leaks, it's amazing they manage to more or less keep a lid on things. Sure there may be a bit of leakage close to the release date but not that much compared with other high demand manufacturers.
I think it's done on purpose to increase the hype

I was really wanting the Mavic Air to be a size in between the Ph4 and the Mavic. After seeing the Mavic Air (disappointing) I now have another glimmer of Hope that the Mavic 2 will be a little larger than the current Mavic. If it's just scaled up and has a better camera,and retains the folding leg concept, with 30 minutes of flight time,I'll be all over it! Autel may have just forced DJI,to step up their game.

very true.
Autel is pushing dji, and if really mavic pro 2 will arrive in March, it will only be thanks to autel

very true.
Autel is pushing dji, and if really mavic pro 2 will arrive in March, it will only be thanks to autel
Having a company come out with a rival drone is a good thing! It forces them to up their game,and we benefit in the long run!

I feel like Linus,waiting on the "Great Pumpkin! greatpumpkin.png

If DJI were to put that Sony 1inch-type sensor on a Mavic Pro-II, that would be one heck of a bold move. These sensors are FOUR times the size of the current 1/2.3. They are superb performers but they run hotter and draw more power too. Putting in one of these cameras would be a very agressive move for DJI. It's going to make it harder for DJI to keep the drone size down as well as putting additional demands on the new battery. The Sony 5k scanning and 4k image processing is also more sophisticated too. This sensor is also much more expensive than the current 1/2.3 and this will drive UP the cost of the Mavic Pro-II considerably too.

This is also a bold move form a marketing prospective. This would be a big performance leap for the Mavic Pro-II and will shove it DEEP into Phantom 4 Pro territory. I suspect that doing this would canabolize 50-75% of the Phantom Pro's market?? There would be little to no reason why anyone would feel the need to buy a Phantom/4/5. I mean,...what for? If I'm getting Phantom Pro 4/5 image quality in a smaller, cheaper drone,...why would I buy and lug around a big fat Phantom? (I do this today with my P4P and it's NOT fun at all)

The only think I could see the Phantom 5 getting that serious pros could want would be a true 10bit codec. (150mbps h.264 like the GH5 or HEVC) Heavy log gamma shooters and colorists would drool for that in at a $2,500-$3,000 price point. (but that would hurt the Inspire-II)

Maybe DJI is trying to "move up" all the classes. Air takes Mavic market,.....Mavic takes Phantom market....Phantom takes Inspire market? (And the Inspire takes?....well? it just stays as an "exotic" niche class market??)

NAB 2018 is coming in April (I go every year) DJI ALWAYS has a huge presence with a very large floor space. NAB is a "content creator" convention for professionals like TV broadcasters. But in recent years, they have widened the convention to almost ALL content creators at every level.

Could DJI drop the Phantom Pro 5 this year at their pavilion? It's a massive media event and the perfect market for that announcement.

Wow,..I dunno.

Last edited:
If DJI were to put that Sony 1inch-type sensor on a Mavic Pro-II, that would be one heck of a bold move. These sensors are FOUR times the size of the current 1/2.3. They are superb performers but they run hotter and draw more power too. Putting in one of these cameras would be a very agressive move for DJI. It's going to make it harder for DJI to keep the drone size down as well as putting additional demands on the new battery. The Sony 5k scanning and 4k image processing is also more sophisticated too. This sensor is also much more expensive than the current 1/2.3 and this will drive UP the cost of the Mavic Pro-II considerably too.

This is also a bold move form a marketing prospective. This would be a big performance leap for the Mavic Pro-II and will shove it DEEP into Phantom 4 Pro territory. I suspect that doing this would canabolize 50-75% of the Phantom Pro's market?? There would be little to no reason why anyone would feel the need to buy a Phantom/4/5. I mean,...what for? If I'm getting Phantom Pro 4/5 image quality in a smaller, cheaper drone,...why would I buy and lug around a big fat Phantom? (I do this today with my P4P and it's NOT fun at all)

The only think I could see the Phantom 5 getting that serious pros could want would be a true 10bit codec. (150mbps h.264 like the GH5 or HEVC) Heavy log gamma shooters and colorists would drool for that in at a $2,500-$3,000 price point. (but that would hurt the Inspire-II)

Maybe DJI is trying to "move up" all the classes. Air takes Mavic market,.....Mavic takes Phantom market....Phantom takes Inspire market? (And the Inspire takes?....well? it just stays as an "exotic" niche class market??)

NAB 2018 is coming in April (I go every year) DJI ALWAYS has a huge presence with a very large floor space. NAB is a "content creator" convention for professionals like TV broadcasters. But in recent years, they have widened the convention to almost ALL content creators at every level.

Could DJI drop the Phantom Pro 5 this year at their pavilion? It's a massive media event and the perfect market for that announcement.

Wow,..I dunno.

I can agree that dji products do not have to step on each other's feet, but the talk of the biggest sensor and the management of the heaviest video flow with more consumption makes no sense.
The processes of miniaturization increase every year precisely to increase power and decrease consumption, therefore, technically there are no problems in this.

The Sony Exmor R 1inch-type sensor is a couple of years old and is used in many Sony cameras and camcorders today. That particular sensor, or it's newer "RS" sister have the same power and heat metrics today as they did 3 years ago. Unless Sony develops a "new" "RS" 1inch-type sensor for DJI, than DJI will need to work around it's known performance statistics. In other words, it wont draw less power today or run cooler than it did 3 years ago. Now, yes, the image processing circuits up in the drone body can be manipulated in many new ways. We know the Air is not using the same old Ambarella that they used to use for the Mavic Pro anymore.

Look at the small Sony RX-100 IV, loaded FULL of incredible abilities using this Sony 1nich-type sensor. Even still, this camera cannot handle this sensor's heat and must shut down (stop) after 5 min of 4k recording. Meanwhile, larger Sony camcorders CAN do unlimited recordings with this sensor because they have larger heat management systems inside.

I'm not saying that DJI cant do it. If DJI want's this, I'm sure their Sony partner is helping them pull this off. I'm only saying that it's a bold challenge "IF" DJI really wants to keep the Mavic Pro-II as small as it is today. It will just need lot's of aluminum, magnesium, copper or fans in the right places to do this...and a bigger battery to power new load and and all the other flight functions it will have.

Last edited:
The new Autel EVO will have a camera with a 1" sensor AND an adjustable aperture on their $1299 model. Don't you think DJI will need to compete with their Mavic Pro II?

Seen this posted on an evo FB group today. Looks like the 1" sensor was only on the ces model evo only.
1fd416f74c3866157d4f32de05d110a5.jpg

Wow,...this is going to be good!

On the Cinema5D interview with DJI, they were asking about the Mavic Pro possibly getting 100mbp/s in a firmware update. The DJI rep said that it wasn't possible with that current processor. He then said that the Mavic Air now has the SAME image processor as the Phantom 4 Pro.

More and more signs that the Mavic Pro-II will have a heavily upgraded image processing and CODEC system. It's almost guaranteed the Pro-II will have that 1 inch-type sensor that we all admire so much!

DJI...PLEASE don't cripple that Phantom 4 camera on the new Macic Pro-II. The P4P camera has a true camcorder-like auto iris. It doesnt rely on wildly changing shutter speeds to maintain exposure. It's got a REAL moving IRIS like all real camcorders.

When you guys install that camera, please don't take that IRIS out and stick it with a fixed aperture like all your other cheaper aircraft to cut cost.

I'm guessing the new Mavic Pro-II is going to be elevated into the current Phantom 4 Pro market and price point. (Maybe $1500?) The Phantom 5 will be elevated a higher level too, just under the Inspire-II (maybe $2500)

NAB 2018 convention is going to be awesome on April 9 in Vegas. That DJI pavilion is going to be JAM packed with people!

Cliff... I agree. The lens/camera is the Mavic Pro's biggest weakness and to stay ahead of the competition, the Mavic Pro II needs better hardware thereby necessitating an increase in price point and weight of the machine. $1399 to 1499 is my guess. Weight -- perhaps 850 g? And probably longer flight time with a larger battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229