DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2

There are really compact digital cameras with 25x optical zoom. Why couldn't the Mavic 2 (or 3) have an optical zoom?
I'm not saying this is the reason DJI isn't releasing zoom cameras, but I'm wondering if it is for safety reasons. If you are zoomed in, you don't have a good sense of close by obstacles. It is just a guess, but again, it may be a safety issue.

Again, this is all just speculation, but it still hits me that it is VERY strange that DJI would up this new bird's size when the concept is for it to be so portable, even fitting in someone's pocket. You will have to have some pretty big pockets for this new bird to fit it....strange.
They have probably seen the amount of people putting the mavic in big hard cases sand thought the masses don't need it to be as compact and so many say they want a better camera on a new version

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I'm still surprised they brought out the P4 using basically the same form as the original Phantom 1.
It makes a big goofy thing to transport and Mavic has shown that folding designs can be plenty strong enough and better looking too.
Phantom shape now looks toy-like "my first quadcopter"

I'm still surprised they brought out the P4 using basically the same form as the original Phantom 1.
It makes a big goofy thing to transport and Mavic has shown that folding designs can be plenty strong enough and better looking too.
Phantom shape now looks toy-like "my first quadcopter"

Yep, my first drone was a $100 Promark VR from Walmart, looks almost identical. (if anyone is reading this and curious, don't buy Promark - total POS, I returned mine in a week, bought Mavic)

Reactions: Rnl
I could imagine that the Mavic 2 with 1" sensor will finally replace the Phantom line, while a new line in Zerotech Dobby size will replace the Spark, so we will get a real pocket-sized drone with all the features of Spark. Remember that due to rumors DJI has bought Zerotech...

[QUOTE="GerdS, post: 351092, member: 2392" Remember that due to rumors DJI has bought Zerotech...[/QUOTE]

I hope those rumors are true. More than half of Zerotech's staff is R&D.
They're heavily into sophisticated, redundant flight control systems (check out their "Item" line), AI, and agricultural UAVs.

They could really help expand and improve DJI's product line.

Ugh, I hope it isn't bigger. That said, I'm sure the camera/gimbal setup has to be larger to accommodate a 1", so maybe there are body impacts to that which let them put a bigger battery on it.

So, if this is true, just hoping it is as portable in backpacks and such as the original.

Of course by mid 2018 the U.S. drone laws/restrictions are going to be so strict you'll be flying a flight plan if/when you get to fly. That environment will impact my purchase decision more than new features.

Reactions: DCDronePilot
Ugh, I hope it isn't bigger. That said, I'm sure the camera/gimbal setup has to be larger to accommodate a 1", so maybe there are body impacts to that which let them put a bigger battery on it.

So, if this is true, just hoping it is as portable in backpacks and such as the original.

Of course by mid 2018 the U.S. drone laws/restrictions are going to be so strict you'll be flying a flight plan if/when you get to fly. That environment will impact my purchase decision more than new features.
Or you could move to Wyoming, we do whatever we want here. ;)

Love the 1st grade drawings.
Exactly - given the culture I would no way they would have such a primitive hand-drawn concept drawing.
I've seen better work sketches with automobiles and motorcycles than this.

Internal concept sketches = unlikely (IMHO). However, because of this person's track record, I wouldn't rule out sketches made from memories gathered in a "pre-production preview" that was governed by some sort of NDA. Typically, these meetings are secured so no phones or cameras are allowed. Just a guess though...

It's all fake and is simply based on reasonable expectations for an upgraded Mavic along with wish-list ideas.

There are really compact digital cameras with 25x optical zoom. Why couldn't the Mavic 2 (or 3) have an optical zoom?

Because motorized zoom lenses take up space and weight. Larger drones with more powerful gimbals are required (and already exist).

It's the same reason why a 1" (13.2 x 8.8mm) sensor is unlikely - it's too big. Look at the camera on the P4P and imagine that on the front of a Mavic.

It's not a rumor about a new version of Mavic. The drawings is not even pretending to be that.
As it says on the drawings, "Concepted by ...".
This is just someone dreaming.
Besides that, a 1" sensor camera on a drone that is supposed to be small and portable is simply unrealistic.

Reactions: KiterTodd
I bought a Zerotech Dobby so I could have a “decoy” drone in case someone complained about my Mavic flights. Dobby falls below weight threshold for drone laws in Canada, not Spark, certainly not Mavic Pro. I would LOVE to see DJI shrink the weight of the Spark to Dobby size, collapsible arms and keep an “old” Mavic 4K camera. I dont need the 1” sensor and bigger battery long flight if it means weight INCREASES on the Mavic Pro 2. Thats a regressive move IMO.

Reactions: KiterTodd
It's not a rumor about a new version of Mavic. The drawings is not even pretending to be that.
As it says on the drawings, "Concepted by ...".
This is just someone dreaming.
Besides that, a 1" sensor camera on a drone that is supposed to be small and portable is simply unrealistic.
its real,i saw a vid of it in use

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne