DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 battery and air travel

1275mini

Reactions
Flying to Orlando shortly from the U.K. with virgin I was thinking about takeing my drone with me how do I stand transporting the batterys

Like all other drones and electronics with lithium batteries, you have to take them on aboard, not put it in your checked luggage.

you might be forced to have your electronics run through the scanners again at some airports.

but the bigger question is, have you researched the drone laws where you’re going, what the requirements are?

in Europe, you have to register as a pilot after taking online tests showing you understand their laws. You also have to register drones above 250 or 500 grams.

Uk may have a similar law. I just returned from Portugal where you have to submit permission to fly and identify where you want to fly, how far, how high, the GPS of where you will take off and land.

Greece has similar requirements to get permission.

Reactions: Frylikebird
Keep all batteries in your carry-on. Shouldn't be a problem to put your drone in your checked luggage - sans battery.

I cover the non installed battery terminals with a small strip of duct tape to ensure isolation from metallic object induced short circuit.
Minimizing risk of battery getting shorted is actually why nowadays batteries tend to have electrical contacts inside narrow gaps/slots instead of wider more open surfaces.

I have flew quite alot over the past 6 years with my drones and batteries in my hand luggage along with camera and batteries gopro and batteries with no issues

in Europe, you have to register as a pilot after taking online tests showing you understand their laws. You also have to register drones above 250 or 500 grams.

Do you mean Europe (44 countries), or EU (27 countries)?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Like all other drones and electronics with lithium batteries, you have to take them on aboard, not put it in your checked luggage.

you might be forced to have your electronics run through the scanners again at some airports.

but the bigger question is, have you researched the drone laws where you’re going, what the requirements are?

Uk may have a similar law. I just returned from Portugal where you have to submit permission to fly and identify where you want to fly, how far, how high, the GPS of where you will take off and land.

Greece has similar requirements to get permission.
What about remote controller like the DJI RC Pro? Can this be checked in because I hate carry it on board. :)

What about remote controller like the DJI RC Pro? Can this be checked in because I hate carry it on board. :)
If it were me, I'd always carry it on board! "Lost" luggage is so common with tight connecting flights and limited ground crew staffing, so it may be days or weeks later that it is recovered, if at all.

Yeah there are limits on how much the airlines will reimburse for lost luggage.

Yeah there are limits on how much the airlines will reimburse for lost luggage.
The bigger issue is not having it to fly with at your destination. Reimbursement for it, or getting it back 5 days later won't get you back the lost flight opportunities for which you brought it along. Carry ons are guaranteed to stay with you.

Batteries in carry-on, better to put them in LiPo bags too in case they run hot in the plane or elsewhere. In Europe you have to run them seperatly through the security scanners normaly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329