DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Some people say the Mavic 3 is not suited for "professional" work or that they're disappointed it doesn't meet their definition of "professional". I'm going to take a less popular position and say the Mavic 3 is a pretty capable drone if you understand its limitations and use it for what it is good at.

Instead of saying it's no good for "professionals", just say it's no good for your needs. Not all "professional" work is the same. Many professionals actually do use a LOG preview. Many professionals put up with equipment that is finicky, troublesome, buggy, downright annoying, etc. because it does one thing for them extremely well.
Well said! ThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup
Everything is a compromise. They are tools. They aren't one size fits all, and perfect at everything. Use them for what they are best at, learn their limitations, and exploit them for their strengths. They also tend to get better over time, as DJI fixes known issues. Mavic 3's flight time alone is 10 minutes longer than the M2P, and the 4/3 sensor and 7x telephoto camera on the 1/2” sensor offer low light capabilities previously unknown in a prosumer drone with a signal strength strong enough to carry 6+ miles.

Last edited:
You're right, GadgetGuy, thank you. Apologies for not qualifying my statement. I was referring to the Mavic 3's RC-N1 controller. I have not flown the Mavic 3 Cine's RC-Pro controller yet. I realize this is the Mavic 3 Cine 3 thread but the thread is including discussions about all Mavics so that's why I shared. I am curious to hear if anyone has flown both the RC-N1 and the RC-Pro and can comment on the gimbal quality/response from both. I was considering getting the Mavic 3 Cine but am rethinking lately and waiting on the I3. Having both a Mavic Platinum and Mavic 2, when I paid the relatively high price for the Mavic 3 and pulled the RC-N1 controller out of the box, honestly, I was shocked at how cheesy it was. I'd prefer the Mavic 1 or 2 controllers any day of the week. I am hoping that the Rc-Pro is a better controller and gives better performance for those who bought it but I'd really like to hear more from RC-Pro users.
RC-Pro is a major upgrade over the RC-N1, which was only included to create an entry level M3 price for those on a budget. Had the base M3 price been $3300 with the RC-Pro, it would have scared off a lot of buyers, especially when a combo is added to it at $4000! Weird marketing decision to package the RC-Pro with an Air 2S Combo for $1750, but not include one in anything other than the M3 Cine package. RC-Pro was designed for the M3. The RC-N1 was originally designed for the Mavic Air 2, and is still even included with the Mini 2, Air 2S, and now the M3, that needs the RC-Pro controller it should have shipped with, but would have been too expensive, had they done so.

I have both controllers. The RC Pro is certainly a solid controller (as you'd want it to be for the incredible price) and the controls do feel more responsive. They definitely require much less force than the RC-N1 and make me feel like I can make more precise moves without workarounds like stick extenders.

The things I wish would be improved on the RC Pro (aside from the price):

- Quick Transfer is not yet available
- It has to be tethered to phone / network for internet (no internal SIM card option)
- Clunky workaround to add other apps
- Limited options for functions to assign to the 5-way button
- Won't default to saving screenshots to the SD Card
I do hope they significantly expand the options for the 5 way button and the C1 and C2 buttons. The one I really miss is being able to acknowledge and clear any obstructing on screen warnings, without taking a hand off the sticks!

AUTEL'S LITE+, I BELIEVE RECORDS BETTER VIDEO, HAS THE SAME FLIGHT TIME AND HAS BETTER NIGHT RECORDING THAN THE M3. I HAVE BOTH. I use the Mav3 during day shooting andd the Lite+ at night. If you like shooting in darkness the lite+ is amazing. That's why I bought both. One for day and one for night. Anyway, I agree with all the professional videographers comments. The Mav3Cine is not worth buying. Your waisting your money. Just by the least expensive package.

Reactions: Kbviper
AUTEL'S LITE+, I BELIEVE RECORDS BETTER VIDEO, HAS THE SAME FLIGHT TIME AND HAS BETTER NIGHT RECORDING THAN THE M3. I HAVE BOTH. I use the Mav3 during day shooting andd the Lite+ at night. If you like shooting in darkness the lite+ is amazing. That's why I bought both. One for day and one for night. Anyway, I agree with all the professional videographers comments. The Mav3Cine is not worth buying. Your waisting your money. Just by the least expensive package.
I don't have the Lite+, but I have found the Mavic 3 to be the best DJI drone yet at night. Night time video and 360° HiRes panos are absolutely stellar. The 4/3 sensor makes all the difference, compared to the 1” sensors on the M2P and the P4P. The Lite+ is still a 1” sensor, and I don't see how Autel Robotics could get a better dynamic range out of it, than DJI has out of their 4/3 sensor. What are the Lite+ dynamic range specs, compared to the Mavic 3?

Reactions: UAVquadman
"...For a completely happy DJI experience, never buy any DJI drone until a year after release. If you insist upon buying everything upon release, expect a rocky road with some cuts and bruise along the way. Somebody has to beta test the stuff for those that only want the happy DJI experience!"
I'm new and wrestling with choosing a first drone purchase. These three sentences just altered my perspective and game plan a great deal. I was getting totally sucked into the aggressive hype for the newest and soon-to-be-newest releases. Not any more. Many thanks for these three sentences.

I'm new and wrestling with choosing a first drone purchase. These three sentences just altered my perspective and game plan a great deal. I was getting totally sucked into the aggressive hype for the newest and soon-to-be-newest releases. Not any more. Many thanks for these three sentences.
Despite the forum myth that's put you off, most DJI drones have been great right from release.
A couple have had minor issues that were quickly fixed.
The Mavic 3 is in a class of its own for a problematic release.

Despite the forum myth that's put you off, most DJI drones have been great right from release.
A couple have had minor issues that were quickly fixed.
The Mavic 3 is in a class of its own for a problematic release.
Thanks for that, too. This situation is difficult for a newcomer to get a handle on. Seeing the Mavic 3 problems does serve to keep me away from dropping a quick ~$5K (M3+RC Pro) on one. It also makes me wonder how the upcoming Mini 3 release will fare.

RC-Pro is a major upgrade over the RC-N1, which was only included to create an entry level M3 price for those on a budget. Had the base M3 price been $3300 with the RC-Pro, it would have scared off a lot of buyers, especially when a combo is added to it at $4000! Weird marketing decision to package the RC-Pro with an Air 2S Combo for $1750, but not include one in anything other than the M3 Cine package. RC-Pro was designed for the M3. The RC-N1 was originally designed for the Mavic Air 2, and is still even included with the Mini 2, Air 2S, and now the M3, that needs the RC-Pro controller it should have shipped with, but would have been too expensive, had they done so.
My RC Pro was part of my planned purchase of Mavic 3. Sold my Smart Controller for $200 over retail when people made a run on them as they went discontinued. I never had the disconnection issues many were plagued with. Until last months V01.00.0600 firmware. Great. So I halved my 5 minute wait for GPS satellite aquisition, and find a 2, 2-1/2 minute startup reasonable, if still slow. But now I'm in disconnect hell. Completely random. Can be at 1500 feet. Or at 5 feet (and often is) Happens when in the air, on the ground, flying away or during landing (that is always a joy) In fact last few days it disconnects EVERY landing. I've taken to flipping the antennas straight out to present them to the aircraft as best as possible. NG. They get flipped out. Tge aircraft disconnects, and then I get flipped out.

Come on, DJI. Are we now trading off one failure for another?

Looks like I'm going to be sending it in for evaluation. I just know that it's so random, the odds of getting it back with "Unable to reproduce the issue" extremely high. And Airsense is 100% broken for me. No visuals on map screen, no audible alerts. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

My RC Pro was part of my planned purchase of Mavic 3. Sold my Smart Controller for $200 over retail when people made a run on them as they went discontinued. I never had the disconnection issues many were plagued with. Until last months V01.00.0600 firmware. Great. So I halved my 5 minute wait for GPS satellite aquisition, and find a 2, 2-1/2 minute startup reasonable, if still slow. But now I'm in disconnect hell. Completely random. Can be at 1500 feet. Or at 5 feet (and often is) Happens when in the air, on the ground, flying away or during landing (that is always a joy) In fact last few days it disconnects EVERY landing. I've taken to flipping the antennas straight out to present them to the aircraft as best as possible. NG. They get flipped out. Tge aircraft disconnects, and then I get flipped out.

Come on, DJI. Are we now trading off one failure for another?

Looks like I'm going to be sending it in for evaluation. I just know that it's so random, the odds of getting it back with "Unable to reproduce the issue" extremely high. And Airsense is 100% broken for me. No visuals on map screen, no audible alerts. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
Thanks for this unhappy story. I'm about to make my first drone purchase and this story makes me wonder if slot cars would be a better idea for me. My hope is to have some fun without developing ulcers.

Joining this discussion on page 4. Whatever. I humbly submit my “circling around boats” video I shot last year in ak with an m2p in sport. Also, got an M3c delivered today. I’ll have to test it out the next boat I see. :)

Playing around under the tree canopy with the m3c/pro, I found it performed well, control and feel wise, better that the m2p/sc. I’ve only been through a couple batteries though.

Last edited:
Reactions: UAVquadman

Joining this discussion on page 4. Whatever. I humbly submit my “circling around boats” video I shot last year in ak with an m2p in sport. Also, got an M3c delivered today. I’ll have to test it out the next boat I see. :)

Playing around under the tree canopy with the m3c/pro, I found it performed well, control and feel wise, better that the m2p/sc. I’ve only been through a couple batteries though.
looks great but at times you need to stop and hold it like when in front and then get much closer. It's much harder for me to do with the Mavic 3 versus the 2 but I am getting better and with the Pro Controller... I may even do better.... $1200 though! lol...

Attachments

• samp1.jpg
    samp1.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Southfork1
You can't expect a leopard to change his spots. DJI has been consistent with this method of product releases throughout. Surely, you must have known their history. Can't blame it on them, if you created unrealistic expectations for the M3 at release, assuming it was a finished product. In fact, DJI explicitly said it was unfinished!

You can't expect a leopard to change his spots. DJI has been consistent with this method of product releases throughout. Surely, you must have known their history. Can't blame it on them, if you created unrealistic expectations for the M3 at release, assuming it was a finished product. In fact, DJI explicitly said it was unfinished!
Charging double( $5000 )for a step back is not good word of mouth for anyone looking for value. Its absolutely overpriced solely because they are passing on their pandemic losses to the customer. If you run over it with your car, i bet the repair is under $500.

I don't have the Lite+, but I have found the Mavic 3 to be the best DJI drone yet at night. Night time video and 360° HiRes panos are absolutely stellar. The 4/3 sensor makes all the difference, compared to the 1” sensors on the M2P and the P4P. The Lite+ is still a 1” sensor, and I don't see how Autel Robotics could get a better dynamic range out of it, than DJI has out of their 4/3 sensor. What are the Lite+ dynamic range specs, compared to the Mavic 3?
sorry for the late response. I understand your position regarding how the lite+ can record more light, but it does. I can't speak about the dynamic range, but for some reason, the lite+ is able to record night video better than the M3. For example: During a moonlit night my Lite+ can record see a road with no street lights, although it's dim, but the lite+ can still see the road. But then when I fly the M3 over the same road, I can't see the road at all. It's completely dark. I think Autel's software, at night anyway, is intensifying one of the colors in the RGB spectrum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka