DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 now available (more details inside)

I noticed the from the videos that the Battery does not have a good Click lock. Seems everyone has to push to make sure it latched. UGH, I see some disconnect coming soon.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , and Capture the Storm.
Not that again 🤣 Quite the common issue on DJI's Phantom series back in the day, Darn You Plastic. All Hail Plastic Materials :p

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Personally other than the camera zoom, I don't see a large upgrade over the Mavic 2 Pro. The zoom part from the Mavic 3 will be VERY FUN, I got that, but I was expecting at least 5.7K/60fps, 50 minutes flying time, and, even more, an advanced controller with a bigger screen. Now I need to admit the 4G LTE card will be a game-changer since you will be able to control the drone over the internet pretty much. How will work the video transmission? I am not sure. At least I guess we will be able to fly by telemetry looking at the map in case of emergency.

From the video quality from Anastacio's videos I don't see too much difference and out of the box the MA2S video loos better. Just my opinion. I know will be a ton of firmware updates that probably will improve everything overall.

I don't know. For the long waiting time we had, I was expecting more.

The current global situation may be an exception this time around, but I can only keep my fingers crossed 🤣 and hope for some price drop late next year. The Mavic 2 didn't cost this much at launch. $3000 for the Fly More combo kit is ridiculously expensive to be honest. DJI should have kept the Mavic 2 on the market with an update to its camera; to wedge in that model between the Air 2S and Mavic 3. Sometimes a little larger foam factor is better. I get it -- DJI wanted their flagship to stand out. Now we have the DJI Mini 2 (Mini 3 rumored to be in the works), Air 2S, and Mavic 3. Its a quite a large gap between the Air 2S and Mavic 3 at this point. I find it that having two drones is better than one. With the Mavic 2 no longer in production, I might have just have to hold onto my Mavic Pro 1 just a little longer. The Air 2S is a great mid-range drone, but sometimes, the Mavic 2 & 3 foam factor is preferred.
I doubt they're canning the Mavic 2 to make the Mavic 3 to stand out, I suspect the simpler reason is it's not that great a seller and it's not worth them continuing it, I say that as someone who is a big fan with a Mavic 2 Pro and spent quite a bit of time defending it.

DJI likely couldn't have updated the Mavic 2 Pro's camera in any meaningful way, Sony have produced a newer version using faster stacked technology but it doesn't appear to be available to other companies (Sony seem to have limited the 1in and FF stacked sensors) and even that aside it's not a big step forward for stills or video for drone use. I think this is why they've moved the Mavic 3 up to a higher range since fitting the bigger 4/3 sensor gives an obvious improvement.

I don't know what sales figures have been like recently for the Mavic 2 but it's not hard to believe they've been dwindling due to the Air 2 series, there were a number of topics when the original Air 2 released questioning the value of the M2P even though it had the much bigger sensor. The Air 2S's release adding the 1in sensor took away the major advantage the M2P had and outwith drone forums, the Air series seems incredibly popular so it's reasonable to believe DJI have ended the Mavic 2 line because it's not a big seller for them.

Reactions: projectarjun
Fly More Items Not Included in Base Priced Individually-
2 batteries @209 USD $418.00
3 extra pairs of props @19 USD $57.00
ND Filter set (4, 8, 16, 32) USD $179.00
Battery Charging Hub USD $89
Convertible Carrying Case USD $319
Total - $1,062.00 USD

Fly More cost ($2999) - Base cost ($2199) is $800. You save $262 USD. ("save" is relative here). Since most buy a hard case, you would be better off to forego the Fly More package (the case alone adds $319) and go with the base package and purchase the items you will actually use.
Thanks for the summary and I missed that the portable charger is in the base package, I was thinking that was a fly more feature. I did buy the Mavic 2 fly more package as I'd managed to get it before the price went up so it worked out cheaper than just buying the two batteries but while the car charger and multi-charger were handy I think this time I'll just buy the one extra battery if I go for it.

What is the difference in the quality of STILL IMAGES between the Mavic 3 Cine and Mavic 3 ?

Is there a difference ?

What is the difference in the quality of STILL IMAGES between Mavic 3/Mavic 3 Cine and Mavic 2 Pro ?
I've not had a deep look at the Mavic 3 Cine but I can't see why there would be any different in still quality between the standard Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine.

The Mavic 2 Pro uses a 1in sensor the same as the Sony RX100 mk2 and mk3 while the Mavic 3 uses a larger 4/3 sensor which the Olympus and Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras. I don't think we know the exact sensor but there should be a solid improvement in dynamic range and high iso performance.

What is the difference in the quality of STILL IMAGES between the Mavic 3 Cine and Mavic 3 ?

Is there a difference ?

What is the difference in the quality of STILL IMAGES between Mavic 3/Mavic 3 Cine and Mavic 2 Pro ?

Kind Regards,

ANTTI VIITALA PHOTOGRAPHY

http://www.anttiviitala.com
Bird On A Wire
[email protected]
Mobile Africa +27767131248
Mobile Europe +358500500087

Skype; peikkokki
In pictures, they should be the same. In videos they cine can use AppleProRes codec license. annnnnnndddddd the 1TB internal storage that makes a big deal for me.

I've not had a deep look at the Mavic 3 Cine but I can't see why there would be any different in still quality between the standard Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine.

The Mavic 2 Pro uses a 1in sensor the same as the Sony RX100 mk2 and mk3 while the Mavic 3 uses a larger 4/3 sensor which the Olympus and Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras. I don't think we know the exact sensor but there should be a solid improvement in dynamic range and high iso performance.
Even when the Mavic 2 Pro has a 1inch sensor, has been proved that DJI is not using the 1-inch sensor capacity and they are still cropping. Not fun.

I don’t believe so, as M2P uses Occusync 2 and M3 uses Occusync 3
Mavic Air2S is Occusyn3 and works with the Smart Controller with Occusyn2. There is no reason will won't work in theory. Now they probably will won't make it compatible for marketing purposes to push the new controller sales.

On sale with Amazon in the UK for release on Nov 18th at a cost of ÂŁ2549.00 for the combo, and ÂŁ1879.00 for the Mavic 3..I can really see them flying off the shelves and seemingly not shown as compliant with the new Drone rules to be implemented at the end of 2022 in the UK

Its pretty great I flew a Demo Cine over the weekend with a hooked up friend of mine. I got some amazing video in Apple Pro Rez, it came with a cost. 1 minute of video give you a nearly 11GB File.

Now would I spend 5K for it? Short answer is a big no. I'm a hobbyist, the Cine is really set up for the professional or semi professional. This goes beyond my price range as a hobby drone

Even when the Mavic 2 Pro has a 1inch sensor, has been proved that DJI is not using the 1-inch sensor capacity and they are still cropping. Not fun.
Where is the proof they are cropping the 1in sensor for stills? If they were cropping the image the raw files would have a resolution noticeably less than 5472x3648 but they are bang on this resolution, I've attached an image showing the properties of an RX100 image and a Mavic 2 Pro image showing they match.

Attachments

• 1inSensors_compared.PNG
    1inSensors_compared.PNG
    28.3 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: justcruisin
Key question: Does it work with apps like Litchi? DroneDeploy? Pix4D? If not, it's pretty worthless to me

If only DJI would have been able to add side sensors and variable aperture to the Air 2S it would have fit the bill for the vast majority of flyers :D

I doubt they're canning the Mavic 2 to make the Mavic 3 to stand out, I suspect the simpler reason is it's not that great a seller and it's not worth them continuing it, I say that as someone who is a big fan with a Mavic 2 Pro and spent quite a bit of time defending it.

DJI likely couldn't have updated the Mavic 2 Pro's camera in any meaningful way, Sony have produced a newer version using faster stacked technology but it doesn't appear to be available to other companies (Sony seem to have limited the 1in and FF stacked sensors) and even that aside it's not a big step forward for stills or video for drone use. I think this is why they've moved the Mavic 3 up to a higher range since fitting the bigger 4/3 sensor gives an obvious improvement.

I don't know what sales figures have been like recently for the Mavic 2 but it's not hard to believe they've been dwindling due to the Air 2 series, there were a number of topics when the original Air 2 released questioning the value of the M2P even though it had the much bigger sensor. The Air 2S's release adding the 1in sensor took away the major advantage the M2P had and outwith drone forums, the Air series seems incredibly popular so it's reasonable to believe DJI have ended the Mavic 2 line because it's not a big seller for them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N