DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 pro, why pro?

Darkabaz

Reactions
Bought last week the new mavic 3 pro. I am fine with it, absolutely. But dont understand why they named this the pro version. The Tele 166mm does not have dlog possibilities, and the primary cam does"only" have 20mp again.
In the pre rumour time there were rumours that the main cam could shot 40mp stills. I see the second camera shoot 48mp and it would be awesome of the primary camera could do that also.
Should there be any possibilities for the future that this will come to the pro?

There have always been updates for the Drones after release this we do know.
With that said , there is sure to be a few nice surprises.

I am very excited about the 48 mp picture and expecting them to update that as well to the other formats as well as the Panos in different zooms .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Bought last week the new mavic 3 pro. I am fine with it, absolutely. But dont understand why they named this the pro version. The Tele 166mm does not have dlog possibilities, and the primary cam does"only" have 20mp again.
In the pre rumour time there were rumours that the main cam could shot 40mp stills. I see the second camera shoot 48mp and it would be awesome of the primary camera could do that also.
Should there be any possibilities for the future that this will come to the pro?

DJI's software support has always been slow. When the original Mavic 3 was released in 2021, it's firmware was quite limited. The 7X telephoto camera could only shoot in JPEG. It took them roughly six months to add RAW support. I have a feeling the same cycle is starting again.

I see the second camera shoot 48mp and it would be awesome of the primary camera could do that also.
The sensor in the short tele camera is the same one used in the Mini 3 pro.
It can produce 48 MP images because it's a quad beyer sensor using special technology to do that.
The sensor in the main camera doesn't have that technology and can't do that.
But since its sensor is more than 3X as big, it's always going to produce better quality images despite the pixel count being less.

As example, the camera on a galaxy s21 ultra phone can produce (with software tricks) 100mp. It is not 100% sharp but i find in some situations it is definitly a + for that kind of situations. Dont understand why our hasselblad cams could not produce some software tricks so that we could get some more mp's in special modes.

I don't see how the primary M43 lens can produce 48mp in raw when none of the M43 cameras like the latest Olympus or Panasonic can shoot that. If anything, DJI should consider a pixel-shift technology similar to that of the Olympus and Panasonic cameras where you can handhold and get high-res pixel-shift photos at the 50mp level. Considering a DJI drone is more steady than me holding a camera, I can see this as a possibility but DJI would need to build a 5-axis stabilization system into their gimbals since the pixel-shift tech uses that to "shift" and take multiple shots to produce the high mp photos. But this would also mean a larger gimbal, etc. As a photographer, this would be a huge selling point and really the only way for a M43 sensor to produce megapixels in the 50+ range.

I know Sony now has 47mp m43 sensors available (since 2021) but we have yet to even hear of any M43 camera manufacturers considering any new models with more than 25 mp. One can assume the 47mp m43 sensor will have some major compromises like ISO performance. That may be why Panasonic - which is known to produce the best M43 video cameras stuck with 25mp and utilized the pixel-shift tech to produce 100mp photos (handheld) instead. I mean, if DJI can get their hands on that Panasonic sensor with the 25mp and can produce 100mp photos in the air, it would be a big game changer. But knowing DJI, they would most likely hold back on that type of advancement to prevent eating into the Inspire 3 (or even for folks stilling wanting the Inspire 2) market.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelP and Darkabaz
I don't see how the primary M43 lens can produce 48mp in raw when none of the M43 cameras like the latest Olympus or Panasonic can shoot that. If anything, DJI should consider a pixel-shift technology similar to that of the Olympus and Panasonic cameras where you can handhold and get high-res pixel-shift photos at the 50mp level. Considering a DJI drone is more steady than me holding a camera, I can see this as a possibility but DJI would need to build a 5-axis stabilization system into their gimbals since the pixel-shift tech uses that to "shift" and take multiple shots to produce the high mp photos. But this would also mean a larger gimbal, etc. As a photographer, this would be a huge selling point and really the only way for a M43 sensor to produce megapixels in the 50+ range.

I know Sony now has 47mp m43 sensors available (since 2021) but we have yet to even hear of any M43 camera manufacturers considering any new models with more than 25 mp. One can assume the 47mp m43 sensor will have some major compromises like ISO performance. That may be why Panasonic - which is known to produce the best M43 video cameras stuck with 25mp and utilized the pixel-shift tech to produce 100mp photos (handheld) instead. I mean, if DJI can get their hands on that Panasonic sensor with the 25mp and can produce 100mp photos in the air, it would be a big game changer. But knowing DJI, they would most likely hold back on that type of advancement to prevent eating into the Inspire 3 (or even for folks stilling wanting the Inspire 2) market.
Well, your are right.
But as you look to the second camera, that 3x lens that has bayer technology. Its a quiet simple sensor with only 12mp. But in good sun/ daylight the image look sharper than 4/3 when zoomed in. (48mp vs 20mp)
On a desktop you can use gigapixel ai - i know that software take a lot of processor capability. But why could DJI not put any trick like something of that for all 3 cameras in the drone? Could be a big game changer.
its a bit weird to have a 'second' camera that produces a double of MP than the hasselblad.
Simple phones as Samsung could already create 100mp (!)

Dont understand why our hasselblad cams could not produce some software tricks so that we could get some more mp's in special modes.
They don't need to.
It's phones with dinky little sensors that play tricks to get high megapixel numbers, which is a marketing gimmick to catch buyers who only think a bigger number must be better.
The Mavic 3 main camera already has excellent picture quality because their sensor is quite large.

They don't need to.
It's phones with dinky little sensors that play tricks to get high megapixel numbers, which is a marketing gimmick to catch buyers who only think a bigger number must be better.
The Mavic 3 main camera already has excellent picture quality because their sensor is quite large.
But the photos on the 70mm 48mp looks a bit sharper when cropped to 100%. Texts above stores (as example) looks sharper and were better to read.

But the photos on the 70mm 48mp looks a bit sharper when cropped to 100%. Texts above stores (as example) looks sharper and were better to read.
Huge megapixel numbers don't make the camera better.
Compare 48MP images from the Mini 3 pro with the same camera shooting 12MP images to see how little difference it actually makes.

Compare 48MP images from the Mini 3 pro with the same camera shooting 12MP images to see how little difference it actually makes.
Yes you are right but if DJI could create a processing method for the hassel when it could create 40 or more mp photos that could be a big win. Im pretty sure it will increase the quality of the image. You could see the same result as in the compact cameras with 4/3" which also have superres

Well, your are right.
But as you look to the second camera, that 3x lens that has bayer technology. Its a quiet simple sensor with only 12mp. But in good sun/ daylight the image look sharper than 4/3 when zoomed in. (48mp vs 20mp)
On a desktop you can use gigapixel ai - i know that software take a lot of processor capability. But why could DJI not put any trick like something of that for all 3 cameras in the drone? Could be a big game changer.
its a bit weird to have a 'second' camera that produces a double of MP than the hasselblad.
Simple phones as Samsung could already create 100mp (!)
100mp on a Samsung or any phone versus 100mp on a drone camera or DSLR camera are completely different. I have the Galaxy S23 Ultra and the claimed "200 mp" is pretty much a gimmick. You can't do RAW and the Jpeg format has so much sharpness applied. I would prefer a 50mp or even a 20mp RAW over a 100mp or 200mp JPEG any day.

100mp on a Samsung or any phone versus 100mp on a drone camera or DSLR camera are completely different. I have the Galaxy S23 Ultra and the claimed "200 mp" is pretty much a gimmick. You can't do RAW and the Jpeg format has so much sharpness applied. I would prefer a 50mp or even a 20mp RAW over a 100mp or 200mp JPEG any day.
Take as example: topaz gigapixel with a 2x upscaling. How great would it be that DJI is implementing this in there Mavic 3 Pro drone and add a 40mp mode for Hasselblad. If you like you may shot in 40mp ,if not just hold standard 20mp.
Topaz did a really good job with there ai technology, especially for landscape shots it is amazing

Take as example: topaz gigapixel with a 2x upscaling. How great would it be that DJI is implementing this in there Mavic 3 Pro drone and add a 40mp mode for Hasselblad. If you like you may shot in 40mp ,if not just hold standard 20mp.
Topaz did a really good job with there ai technology, especially for landscape shots it is amazing
I have Topaz Gigapixel as well as the new Topaz AI. I have played with upscaling my photos with those as well as Photoshop and they look good on the monitor but the question for me is how that translates over to print. My plan is to print large formats (60x40) so that will be the true test to determine if software upscaling works. But I do see what you're saying. Potentially, Samsung is performing some type of software-based upscaling. If DJI does implement this on their drones, my preference is for the drone to produce the upscaled version as well as give me the original photo so I have the option to keep the original do my own upscaling as well as have the DJI-upscaled version.

If any.
Here is a comparison between this sensors 12 MP, 48 MP and a Mavic Air 2S with its 20 MP 1"-Sensor.

preview

Resolution and details (not to be confused with the artificial "sharpness" applied by image processing) are limited by the tiny plastic lenses, no matter how many megapixels the sensors are marketed with. And this will remain the case at least in the medium term with these small and light drones, for reasons.

High MP on consumer drones is pure marketing, nothing more.

Last edited:
High MP on consumer drones is pure marketing, nothing more.

I would agree if you're only referring to Jpeg. If a drone camera has the ability to photograph 48mp in RAW, then that's a completely different story and I'd take a higher mp as long as it's in RAW. In the comparison photo, I would take the RAW 12mp from the Mini 3 or the RAW 20mp from the Air 2S over the Jpeg 48mp from the Mini 3 any day since RAW allows for flexibility in post-editing. What's actually interesting about the 3 photo comparisons is how bad the chromatic aberration is on the Air 2S.

In the comparison photo, I would take the RAW 12mp from the Mini 3 or the RAW 20mp from the Air 2S over the Jpeg 48mp from the Mini 3 any day since RAW allows for flexibility in post-editing.

But here I developed all photos from RAW, with RAW Therapee, so no Opcodes from Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW in general got applied, hence the visible flaws like the aberration.

Last edited:
But here I developed all photos from RAW, with RAW Therapee, so no Opcodes from Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW in general got applied, hence the visible flaws like the aberration.
Ah. I didn't know the Mini 3 can now produce 48mp in RAW. So I did a search outside of this forum to comparing the 12mp vs 48mp raw and I guess depending on the pattern and light, you do see clear differences between the two.

1683042735644.png

Don't know, but since I've already tested with my own series of images, I've already made my judgement regarding the Mini 3 Pro. But my Mavic 3 Pro should come soon, then I will see, if the 48 MP RAWs will make any big difference with it's lens combination.

Can someone please enlighten me, what is the difference in the 3 Pro versus the 3? I have the Mavic 3 and it already has an excellent optical 7x camera, as well as a pretty bad 3x "zoom" capability. Is the difference in the Pro just the addition of an optical 3x camera?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_