DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 : Satellite acquisition inside the house 2/16/2022

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Just a quick assessment of the Mavic 3 and Bideou fighting it out for Home Point Recorded

BDS - 3 { Forever and for now on to be called that. } Maybe DJI got dumped on to BDS - 2 ?

2022-02-17_03h11_42.png

BeiDou that means "Big Dipper" in Chinese,

satellites in three kinds of orbits work in concert. It started providing regional services for users in the Asia-Pacific region in December 2012.

Before the BDS-2 system officially provided regional services, China had begun to develop the BDS-3 global navigation system, with better performance and reliability.

The year 2018 saw the most intensive launch of the BDS satellites, with 19 satellites sent into space.

Compared with the BDS-2 system, the signals of the BDS-3 system have been upgraded to provide better services.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the Water .

Last edited:
Reactions: Suren
No closer to 6 minutes for home point to register.
Drone = Air 2 & Std. controller.
Time of Day = 6:15 AM CDT.
Procedure - Have iPhone Attached, Controller powered up and the DJ Fly App loaded. Boot the drone.

Time Indexes: (After Drone is powered up)

1 35 Seconds = 6 Satellites Locked.

2 45 Seconds = 9 Satellites Locked - Home Point Announcement.

3 60 Seconds = 10 Satellites Locked.

4 1:14 = 12 Satellites Locked - No more Satellites Locked with additional time. (At this time of day)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
It's a discussion about satellite acquisition when a drone is inside of a structure.

I dont understand this test. What does walking around your house have to do with satellites?
Not much
It's a discussion about satellite acquisition when a drone is inside of a structure.
It's got nothing to do with flying a drone and not much to do with GPS either.
It demonstrates no understanding of how GPS works at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reid937
I dont understand this test. What does walking around your house have to do with satellites?

Sorry i did not have time to put Perspective on the video.

The video is Geared towards those that can fly from HOME .

YEAH ! Its not about GPS its about those of us that Fly from our home and want to keep the Drone Battery as Warm as possible to fly in Extreme Cold Temps.

Basic Goal is how to Live with the Mavic 3 the way it is working now.

Strategy : Throw in a lasagna Pack in the Microwave
Start up the Mavic 3 and face it towards the Window, need about 6 to 8 minutes to gain Home Point .
Eat my dinner while i wait.

Fly off the lower deck - Hover up to the middle deck and fly walk from inside the home to the Lake Front Windows on the second floor , and fly using VLOS , With the Wet Suit its about 2000 ft and with the Rescue Jacket on the Mavic 3 its about 3500 ft . Thus the reason you see me walking thru the house .

I know there all kinds of experts on the Forum but many people are not even aware that you can even manage such things.

I also gain Home Point with the Drone in the Car on the Mavic 3 , Yet another way to do it to save yourself from the cold and giving the drone battery every chance in the Extreme Weather we like to fly in.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. and Land on the Water.

2022-01-17_15h33_18.png

Best I can tell, your battery went from 63% to 54% before the Home Point was set. That's a loss of 9% before launching. Unless your battery was charged to 100% within the last 24 hours, it will start out at 96% after auto discharge, and it cannot be topped off to 100% until it first drops to 95%, but it will still display 4 full power bars.

So, 96% minus 9% means this battery would launch with only 87% battery. Not good. That's why you need to set the Home Point with a spare battery already at 96%, and then swap for a 100% battery, for a hot fix and full flight time. Now that the 96% battery is at or below 95%, it can finally also be topped off to 100%.

Acquire your Home Point before leaving the house, swap batteries, and put that Home Point setting battery on the charger before departing. Rinse and repeat on successive days, while waiting for the GNSS FW fix from DJI.

Hot swapping the battery like that is great idea, as the Charging station is right next to the bench. Noted: Thank you

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
If you have a car charger, it could also work in the field for flying from inside the car. It's only the first home point setting that takes forever. Subsequent battery swaps should retain all the satellites.

Hot swapping the battery like that is great idea, as the Charging station is right next to the bench. Noted: Thank you

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Swapping a battery is not 'hot-swapping'... need to find a different term.

Hot swapping is plugging or unplugging an accessory while the device is powered on.

The best that works for me is to take off and hover about 8-10 FT altitude and take about 1 minute or less to get the home point. Depending on the area take more or less.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King